Back on the Wagon... need friends...

Options
I have been away for a while... My husband was recently diagnosed with Renal Cell Carcenoma (kidney cancer) and had his left kidney along with a grapefruit sized tumor removed. Fortunately, it was still contained in the kidney and had not spread to any surrounding tissue or organs. He was diagnosed on 7/6, met with surgeon on 7/17, and kidney/mass removed on 7/19. returned to surgeon two weeks later and was told he has a 90% chance that the cancer will not return...totally blessed. Currently, no additional treatment, but that may be scheduled after his 1st CT scan in 3 months.

All this really cuts into ones personal journey of weight loss and fitness program especially if one is an emotional eater... I have managed to not gain all the weight back, but have completely gone off the deep end on eating. So, here I am again and could use a lot of help and support... so, anyone in the OKC, OK area, or anywhere that could offer some advice, or suggestions of how to get through this (both the battle against my husband's health issues and weight loss) please, please send me your thoughts, suggestions, support, a shoulder, anything... I need to get in shape for me (first), but also to continue care with him.

Replies

• Shimmerrzz
    Shimmerrzz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!!

I have just gotten back on the wagon myself....couldn't find the wagon for a while...didn't gain it all back, either but I am gonna charge ahead...because despite all that goes on around us...we owe it to ourselves to keep commitments to ourselves...your hubby wants that for you, I'm sure...

Add me if you like....sometimes I'm a silent listener, but know I'll always read! :flowerforyou:
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back! I need friends as well. Add me if you would like!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to hear your husband is doing ok! That is a very stressful time for both of you, and I don't think anyone would have kept on the wagon.

Please feel free to add me.
  • vlsalvaggio
    Options
    Welcome back!!! im recently back on the wagon as well. fell off in april and finally realized that the only person im hurting by over eating is myself!!! please feel free to add me and we can support each other on this journey!!!!
  • ShadowLark
    ShadowLark Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I had gone through a major bout of depression due to me and my wife splitting and getting a divorce, but seeing the trials that you and your husband are going through is just a wake up call that we all need to look at our own health. So now I am moving forwards and I am glad I am not the only one getting back on the wagon again.

Add me if you want. :)
  • tracy_diva
    Options
    Hi Ms. NanaBrown - Welcome back.
    I have been on the wagon and fallen off the wagon a whole lot in my weight loss journey. i finally realized that I have to stay focused and committed to getting myself healthy and feeling good. I know you are going through a rough patch right now, but dont let it trip you up. One thing I would like to suggest is to simply NOT buy the junk food or goodies that maybe a go to for you. Not having them in the house will keep you from going to them. Secondly, if you have time, create little goodie bags for yourself and keep them in the frig. you know like trail mix, little baggie of carrots, things like that. Lastly, reward yourself from time to time, frozen yogart is always a treat. :smile: Regarding your husband, I am a big believer in prayer, i will send up lots of prayers for his health to return. If you'd like, add me to your buddy list and i'll check in from time to time.

Thanks
  • FourLynne
    FourLynne Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi NanaBrown,

First off, PTL on your husband's recovery! I live in MD but if you want, add me. I hope you'll find the support you need to get through this season! Blessings!
  • nanabrown2012
    Options
    Thank you for the support and I too believe in the healing power of prayer. I truely believe he would not have made it this far and with such good results without the prayers going strong. Now to concentrate on healthy living and getting back into shape. We have definitely found the treat of frozen yogurt. Seems to be what settles the tummy. He gets the yogurt, I get the carrots.. ha!
  • AshleyG31
    Options
    I love your profile pic! :heart: My mom went through getting her left kidney in January of 2011 and it was a long journey of wait for results every three months. But like your husband everything was taken out and though nothing is 100%, the 90% is amazing in itself. He will be back on his feet soon enough pinching your butt and asking whats for dinner. Hang in there. IM or post me if you need any support.

Shout out From TX!
    Ash
  • marceline1978
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Definately could use more friends' as well to motivate me!! It's great how everyone is on the same path to a healthier life!!:smile:
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome back. I just found this program last week and am working hard to learn all the ins and outs. Your post jumped out at me because my husband also had his left kidney removed due to cancer. The good news is they got it all, the rest of the story according to his oncologist is "you're not cured". Have to be monitored for the rest of your life. The hardest part is waiting for the results of the scans. Your husband will do well, just keep up the check-ups. I don't live in OK but am in TX so that's close! Add me if you'd like. Actually, I don't know how to add people yet!!!!!
  • kbob89
    kbob89 Posts: 8
    Options
    Anyone on here can add me!! I love having the support from MFP!!! This is an awesome place to share your victories with!! :)
  • fitatfiftyfive
    Options
    You are certainly welcome to add me. I'm not in Oklahoma but not too far south of you..... I wish the best for you and your husband (and family) in this journey that has been put before you. Keep on this website - I think it will serve you well.