No Exercise for Me?!

Options
Hi all!

I went to physical therapy today and was disappointed to learn that I shouldn't be doing my Biggest Loser vids. This is because I have core instability so I depend more on my lower back to get the job done. But, my lower back is out of alignment. Thus, working out is making my back pain worse.

I'm not allowed to work out. Well, that's not true. I can't do plank positions, lunges, or strength training. I'm not allowed to do yoga. I'm allowed to work my biceps and triceps. I'm also allowed to do all the cardio I want.

My problem is that I have 2 young kids, I'm in nursing school full time, and I work about 20 hours a week. I literally have no time to go outside for a run. What kind of exercises can I do at home? I don't want to give this up!

Replies

• hagan8123
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that. I went to a site and found this, maybe it will help. http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist.htm

I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are old enough, here are some ideas that you can do with the kids:
    Tag
    Chase
    Flag Football (need quite a few kids and maybe some adults)
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I went to physical therapy today and was disappointed to learn that I shouldn't be doing my Biggest Loser vids. This is because I have core instability so I depend more on my lower back to get the job done. But, my lower back is out of alignment. Thus, working out is making my back pain worse.

I'm not allowed to work out. Well, that's not true. I can't do plank positions, lunges, or strength training. I'm not allowed to do yoga. I'm allowed to work my biceps and triceps. I'm also allowed to do all the cardio I want.

My problem is that I have 2 young kids, I'm in nursing school full time, and I work about 20 hours a week. I literally have no time to go outside for a run. What kind of exercises can I do at home? I don't want to give this up!

What suggestions did they give you to stablilize your core and get you lower back into alignment? Why would working biceps and triceps not be allowed . When I work these muscles my back is pretty stable.
  • wolt98
    wolt98 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    what about the walk away the pounds dvds. Not as intense as the biggest loser dvds but it is a workout. Some of them even include jogging in place.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am a physical therapist, and I recommend that you ask your physical therapist what s/he recommends you do for a safe and effective exercise program. It is true, with poor core stability you can cause stress and pain in your back by using improper body mechanics, even when doing biceps and tripceps. Again, you should ask your physical therapist to show you how to do this. I am always educating my patients on how to safely exercise, how to incorporate abdominal bracing into their entire routine, even when exercising body parts I am not treating, teaching them which compensations patterns to look out for and avoid, etc. Planks in particular can cause an increase in back pain if your lower abdominal muscles are weak. As for yoga, you should let your yoga instructor know at the beginning of the class that you have low back issues, and s/he will show you how to modify the poses to protect your back. When doing cardio, I would recommend staying away from the elliptical - very bad for people with low back issues!

I know it's frustrating because you are trying hard to lose weigh and get in shape, but in the long run, you will be much healthier if you follow your PT's advice. Don't underestimate how important core strength & stability is, especially if you are planning on being a nurse, because you will be doing a lot of heavy lifting and will need your back to stay strong for many years.

317345.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Tai Chi would be good for you, but don't depend on a video. A video can't tell you when you're out of alignment.

A good teacher can help you with proper body mechanics and developing your core. (They should understand the importance of knee alignments and know what 'bend the bow, shoot the arrow' means.) It improves flexibility, balance and coordination, but is more conservative than yoga. It's not a quick fix though. Retraining how your body moves takes time.
  • vampwix
    vampwix Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My kids are 2 and 6 months old. It's been so cold lately that I don't feel comfortable taking them outside for an extended period of time. When it's warm, I don't mind putting them in a stroller and walking around my tiny town. :)

I have been given small exercises to keep my back where it's supposed to be. "Clams" and I'm supposed to exhale while sucking in my belly button to work on my transverse abdominal muscle. I am allowed to do my biceps and triceps, but that should be my limit for strength training. It's sad because my arms aren't the issue. It's my waist and my legs- exactly the things I am not allowed to work out at this point.

As far as a safe exercise program, what I listed above is what I am allowed to do until we get to the strengthening part of my PT. Right now we are just stabilizing. I should have reiterated that the yoga was Biggest Loser as well, but I considered it a lot easier than Last Chance Workout. Walking on a treadmill would be okay, right?
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    "Working out" isn't as important as building strength, especially if you're going into nursing. So don't sweat the 'bad news'... it could actually be a very good thing, forcing you to focus on what you need to do rather than doing what you feel you 'have' to do.

I think yoga would still be okay, as it is fantastic for balance and strengthening... just scale back to your most basic, most beginner-variety of work-outs. Use the wall for support on some of the positions if you need it.

Treadmill should be okay, but just pay attention to how you're walking. Most people with pain tend to overcompensate in other ways, which can lead to trouble in other areas. You don't want your knees or ankles to get stressed out because you're being careful with your core. Take it slow and steady.