what did you eat like before MFP?

Options
just wondered what everyone's typical day was like eating wise before they started tracking on here? did you notice huge differences when you started tracking or have "sticker shock" at the amount of calories you were eating before? share if you don't mind...

Replies

• newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i used to eat huge amounts of oatmeal and fruit which were good for me but probably was about 200 calories of oatmeal with 3 tablespoons of sugar, and a banana... lunch was usually a stouffer's meal (450 cals), salad, fruit, etc... so maybe 800 for lunch... and then dinner was whatever i could grab plus sugar and chocolate... so probably 1000 plus calories... then there were weekends where i would think nothing of eating 3 donuts for breakfast 1000 calorie breakfast!, 4 pieces of pizza for lunch, huge dinners... it's amazing to think about how i used to eat
  • newhabit
    Options
    anyone?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    anything and everything. Thats always been my problem, I am NOT picky! I love it all!!!

I also love to cook and bake so that made it worse.
  • newhabit
    Options
    anything and everything. Thats always been my problem, I am NOT picky! I love it all!!!

I also love to cook and bake so that made it worse.

me too - there are very few things i won't eat and i get hungry all the time!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I just ate candy. All the time. And if I quit MFP, I'll probably go back to it. So now I have to stay here!
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    hmmm...deep fried - loved it!! And tons of bread. Now, I still eat my bread, but not like I used to.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Well, I gained 4 and a half stone (over 60lbs) in little over a year (I've since lost 50lbs) and I know exactly how I packed on that weight!

I had my first job and TONS of money at my fingertips...most of which I spent on food.

For breakfast I'd get a big fry-up every morning with a pint of orange juice in my favourite cafe...it would be the works: white toast with butter, sausages, beans, black pudding, eggs, bacon etc

I'd snack on all sorts of crap right up until lunch...coke/lucozade/red bull...packets of crisps & sweets & chocolate bars or muffins/doughnuts

At lunch I'd eat in the same cafe as breakfast with one of my co-workers & I'd get a HUGE dinner-sized lunch of something like lasagne with chips, side salad (untouched) & then pancakes for dessert, drenched with syrup.

After lunch I'd continue to snack on the same things mentioned above as my mid-morning snacks!

On the bus home, I'd usually have 2 packets of crisps & a chocolate bar with a can of coke while reading gossip magazines.

Dinner about four nights a week was a MASSIVE Chinese take-away with chicken balls, satay sauce, chips, fried noodles, prawn crackers & spring rolls...other nights it might be a titanic portion of spaghetti bolognaise with garlic bread, etc.

Afterwards I'd wash down a whole tin of pringles with 2 litres of fizzy drink, usually club lemon.

I'm not exagerating any of this. I actually ate this much. I balooned very quickly...went from being a B cup to a DD within months! My body was left covered in stretch marks.

It was the worst year of my life with regard to my health and I've never ever felt so utterly sick, tired and unwell.

I still cannot believe how far I've come! Remembering all this makes me wanna hurl! Even when I occasionally 'binge' its never, ever this bad!
  • Nightelyn
    Options
    I drank a LOT of soda during the day while working from home. Now I have a 32oz bottle that i use (for water!) and put a little Mio in it.
  • Maymichelle
    Maymichelle Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Processed foods & more fast food/eating out. Now my motto is if it comes in a can or a box it's not for me and I despise McDonald's and several other fast food eateries. I notice I spend a lot more time in the kitchen but it's so worth it!!
  • newhabit
    Options
    Well, I gained 4 and a half stone (over 60lbs) in little over a year (I've since lost 50lbs) and I know exactly how I packed on that weight!

I had my first job and TONS of money at my fingertips...most of which I spent on food.

For breakfast I'd get a big fry-up every morning with a pint of orange juice in my favourite cafe...it would be the works: white toast with butter, sausages, beans, black pudding, eggs, bacon etc

I'd snack on all sorts of crap right up until lunch...coke/lucozade/red bull...packets of crisps & sweets & chocolate bars or muffins/doughnuts

At lunch I'd eat in the same cafe as breakfast with one of my co-workers & I'd get a HUGE dinner-sized lunch of something like lasagne with chips, side salad (untouched) & then pancakes for dessert, drenched with syrup.

After lunch I'd continue to snack on the same things mentioned above as my mid-morning snacks!

On the bus home, I'd usually have 2 packets of crisps & a chocolate bar with a can of coke while reading gossip magazines.

Dinner about four nights a week was a MASSIVE Chinese take-away with chicken balls, satay sauce, chips, fried noodles, prawn crackers & spring rolls...other nights it might be a titanic portion of spaghetti bolognaise with garlic bread, etc.

Afterwards I'd wash down a whole tin of pringles with 2 litres of fizzy drink, usually club lemon.

I'm not exagerating any of this. I actually ate this much. I balooned very quickly...went from being a B cup to a DD within months! My body was left covered in stretch marks.

It was the worst year of my life with regard to my health and I've never ever felt so utterly sick, tired and unwell.

I still cannot believe how far I've come! Remembering all this makes me wanna hurl! Even when I occasionally 'binge' its never, ever this bad!

yeah i was like that too! because right before i went on MFP i was breastfeeding and i thought i had to eat tons of food. i gained about 10 lb while breastfeeding... then when i stopped another 10 lb. also i ate really badly when i was in graduate school too. I think it was because i worked 8-5 then had classes and didnt' get home until 10. no time to exercise with a schedule "that busy" was my excuse...
  • newhabit
    Options
    Processed foods & more fast food/eating out. Now my motto is if it comes in a can or a box it's not for me and I despise McDonald's and several other fast food eateries. I notice I spend a lot more time in the kitchen but it's so worth it!!

yes it is! i need to do this more!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    alcohol and lots of after dinner snacking!!!! i was always pretty good about making wise choices during the day. but after a beer or a glass of wine (or 3) it was munchie-city. :) and as we all know, you can ruin a perfect day after 7 pm.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    Cooking is my passion, I didn't eat fast food but boy did I cook big! I would make my own pasta, ravioli and cheesecakes. I baked batches of fresh bread every other day and all my sauces we made with heavy cream. Now I poach, grill and roast, no more bread, pasta or cream sauces.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday I played with the food logger to get a good idea of what i was eating on a typical day.

I was drinking over 1200 cals a day in sugary drinks (and about 220 carbs).

I was eating about another 1200 cals, heavy on chips, fries, and snack type foods. I rarely would make a real meal. I did eat fruit quite a bit before.

I kind of knew I was going way overboard with the drinks (mostly coffee-type drinks or coffee laced with flavored creamers) but it is funny how often I used to think, "I know I don't eat that much, why does my weight stay exactly the same, no matter what?" And truthfully, I wasn't really eating that much it's just I was doubling my calories via drinks.

EDITED for typo.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    A lot more coffee with creamer. A lot more processed food. And i was a grazer. If anyone would bring a snack into the office (cupcakes, cookies, candy) i NEVER said no. And a ton more pasta. That's a big one for me, I ate pasta, white potatoes, and white bread like it was going out of style :)
  • newhabit
    Options
    A lot more coffee with creamer. A lot more processed food. And i was a grazer. If anyone would bring a snack into the office (cupcakes, cookies, candy) i NEVER said no. And a ton more pasta. That's a big one for me, I ate pasta, white potatoes, and white bread like it was going out of style :)

me too with the snacks at work. whenever people brought that stuff in before, i had a very hard time saying no. it is getting easier now!
  • ashleyanh410
    ashleyanh410 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just ate A LOT. I have a degree in nutrition, so I ate a lot of healthy things.. but that was exactly the problem, I ate A LOT of them (like 3 servings of salmon, not just 1). I was never really concerned with portion size but that makes a huge difference! MFP and my food scale have definitely helped me with that! :)
  • newhabit
    Options
    I just ate A LOT. I have a degree in nutrition, so I ate a lot of healthy things.. but that was exactly the problem, I ate A LOT of them (like 3 servings of salmon, not just 1). I was never really concerned with portion size but that makes a huge difference! MFP and my food scale have definitely helped me with that! :)

me too, portion size just wasn't on my mind back then!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Let's see...breakfast was a bagel sandwich, or eggs with bacon and toast, lunch was footlong subway usually with processed meat, but dinner/nighttime was when I really binged. I'd get a huge takeaway of sushi (probably for 2 people) eat the whole thing, buy a pack of cookies or a pint of gelato, eat the whole thing, snack on chips, soda, juice, anything but water, and was allergic to exercise and sweating!

Looking back, I cannot believe I would eat a whole container of cookies or hazelnut gelato in one sitting.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    ever see lions catch and eat in the wild .... not far of me with every sort of food , but I ate faster lol