Slow Fat Runner

Options

Replies

• ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, But I also started C25k Yesterday.... you can friend me if you want :)
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Count me in among the slow, fat runners! I've been running for over a year now. I took some time off and am now back out there redoing C25k.

You said you want to run/walk every day till race day? I would be careful. The rest days are an important part of your training too! I second the idea of new training shoes. Will really help the shin splint thing. Can't wait to read your post-race report! Go!

Lori
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on signing up for your first race, that's huge!! NO ONE will laugh or feel badly that you are walk/running. Like everyone else has said the running community is incredibly supportive and walk/run intervals are a great way to start and train (at any level). Make sure you get fit for a good pair of running shoes and progress at a pace/rate that is comfortable for you. Good luck and welcome to the world of running!!!
  • funpilot56
    funpilot56 Posts: 100
    Options
    Absolutely not. In fact, many people will probably give you encouragement if you are walking and they pass you. You will be amazed at how you feel after finishing and the next day (ok, you may be a little sore) or two you will want to start training for another one. Jeff Galloway has a book called "Getting Started" and you can check it out at a library. It is about doing a program of walking and running with brief periods of running and more walking....you can tailor it any way you want but is very informative. Good luck and let us know how you did and how you felt!
  • hpoddan
    hpoddan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No one will laugh if you have to walk and jog! I have been doing 5ks for about 7 years and this is the first year that I can say I am actually running/jogging for the majority of a race. I am currently training for my first 1/2 marathon in April and I am told that I should walk/jog when I am doing my longer distances. My step-dad even walks and jogs when he does his marathons so no worries!!! Even some of the very serious runners that I go to races with are just pumped to see more people becoming involved and they always wait at the end and cheer me on to finish :) The more races I do and the father that I am able to run I just enjoy seeing new faces show up.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow fat runner myself. I'm in week 8 of C25K. And I'm a gal who couldn't even run for a full minute before I started this program. Now I'm planning on registering for the Komen 5K in October. I used to worry what people would think if they saw me running but I quickly realized what they think doesn't matter because while they're watching me, I'm actually doing it. Yeah, I'm not beautiful, I bounce, I'm slow, and I constantly say very loudly to myself "I can do this" so people think I'm crazy, but I'm getting it done.

I was even thinking of doing the program a second time before the race so I could work on my speed and distance. As I've told other people, right now I just focus on getting through it at a steady pace and not dying. I never thought I'd be a runner but I'm so glad I took that first step. Best of luck whether you run or walk your 5K!

ETA: OK, OK, I'm really a jogger since I don't think I actually go fast enough for it to be considered running
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm slow. (But, getting faster)

I'm fat. (But, getting smaller)

And, yes. I am a runner.

I go at my own pace. A mile is a mile, regardless of speed in my book. I ran a half marathon in May, and am gearing up for another in September. I got better using interval training (exactly like the C25k programs), increasing the amount I can run over time. I may never have a 6-minute mile, but I am out there.

When I ran the half marathon, you tend to end up by people who are at your same pace. I bonded with three great people as we made our way to the finish. Everyone was wonderful! (And, if they aren't - forget them. You are not doing this to impress them, you are doing it for you!)

And, since I am a fan of Tony Horton, I love his line (it makes a great running mantra) 'do your best, and forget the rest.'

Edited to add: missed your questions about shoes/clothes. I went to a good local shoe store and had my step analyzed to find the best shoe for my foot (not based on style).

For the shin splints, make sure you are mostly landing with the pressure at the ball of your foot when you run. If you pound heavy on your heels it causes more pressure and can lead to shin splints. Although, you could always see someone to help evaluate your stride, to lessen the risk of injury.
  • JPKemp
    JPKemp Posts: 25
    Options
    Just started "WALGGING" myself 3 weeks ago...I maybe slow but I'm faster than the person sitting on the sofa!!! My goal is to run a 5K before I have to use a walker...hahahaha... I NEVER thought I would run!!! ...Well jog... NEVER ran a lick and had NO desire to until about a month agao...but last night it was actually FUN!!! I am starting to crave it. I am gaining weight though, and I dont get that, hoping it is just a body adjustment and it will come back off (5 pounds...)
    When I feel like I cant go another step...I start singing in my head...the Christmas song from Santa Claus comes to town...PUT ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER...AND SOON YOU'LL BE WALKING CROSS THE FLOOR...PUT ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER AND SOON YOU'LL BE WALKING OUT THE DOOR.....
    GOOD LUCK...You will be GREAT...YOU ALREADY ARE FOR TRYING!!!!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for good shoes and make sure they watch you run so you get the stability you need.

C25K is awesome, there are many free plans out there for once you finish that, activetrainer.com is awesome! Please don't try to wing it and run everyday, you will end up injured.

A foam roller will help immensely with the splints. Make sure you are stretching well!! Warm the muscles before you stretch, I stretch before and after a run, jog 5 minutes to warm up, stretch then start the run, stretch even more after the run. Some people don't need to stetch before but, my muscles stay tight.

Just get out there and do it, be proud, you are a runner! Believe me, others will be proud for you as well.

Good Luck with the 5k!
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    shin splints - find the right pair of shoes for your feet and get a good pair of inserts. I always liked New Balance, myself. Good shoes and inserts will protect your knees and shins :-)

Also, I used to run. I was slow. I was very happy running slowly. The only race you are in is the race to stay healthy until the end of your days. If you run at your favorite pace, enjoy the sounds and smells, you will look forward to the running. That will assure you of getting the most out of your days on this earth.

Also, when I saw larger people running, or people who were clearly newbies out there, my heart just swelled with support for those folks. It's easy when you are lean and knowledgeable to hit the streets, but when it clearly isn't your normal place, it is a lot harder. Know that while you may feel out of place, you are surrounded by other runners, like yourself, who are cheering you on. Runners are a wonderful, supportive lot.

You are an athlete! Buy the shoes. Enjoy your pace.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I am slow and a little flabby, but I make sure I run a 5k race every weekend. They are more motivating for me than a training run. No one will laugh, and congrats on getting out there!
  • PJBDragon
    Options
    I've lost 112 lbs over the last 2 years and started running this year for the first time in my life (I'm 51). You can walk, run, jog, whatever you want - don't let anyone tell you different. The only challenge you are setting is for yourself. The first race I entered was only about 3 weeks beforehand and it was 3.5 miles - I had lost most of my weight by then and I had been doing toning/strength-building exercises. I set the goal of being able to jog the whole race for myself - no one else. I sucessfully did it but that wasn't the whole point - it was only a 'goal' - you need a goal or you nothing to work toward. You win (for yourself) just going and competing - for you a good goal may be to run 50% of the race and walk in between. You have nothing to prove except to yourself - just showing up and doing your best is a major sucess.

My suggestion(s)

Don't run everyday while training. Run about 3 times a week (every other day with two days rest after the third run) - you need to give your muscles a chance to recover/grow. Don't run the three days preceding the race - you need to give your body a chance to be in top readiness the day of the race - you don't want to start a race with sore muscles if it can be avoided.

There are alot of other things you need to consider (not necessarily in order of importance):

(1) Drink enough water while and after you exercise
    (2) Stretch before and after running - this is a major key to avoiding shin splints - you can find stretching exercises on the web.
    (3) When you start walk for a while first to get your muscles warmed up - don't push too hard in the beginning. Combine walking and running and be sure to walk for a while to cool down afterwards - don't just stop running and sit down - you'l get cramps and set yourself back.
    (4) It's also a good idea to drink a protien shake afterwards to give your body enough raw protien to rebuild those muscles.
  • iconnor
    iconnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about the shoes. Go to a running store like Fleet Feet and have the experts find you the right shoe. Also try Jeff Galloway's method to running: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html. He's a marathon runner and many people (including myself) have used it and have gotten great results. I started walking one minute, runing one minute, ete, and after a month it gets a lot easier. I trained using this method for a ten-miler this year and it was great.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! No one will laugh.. In fact, you may even find someone to walk/run with you. My last 5k had some brutal hills and the heat/humidity kicked in so I wasn't able to run the whole thing This woman caught up to me and started chatting with me so we ran and walked together a few times. I'd keep running then she'd catch up to me while I walked, etc.

My favorite part of these events is people watching so even if I'm alone it's a blast - catching little tidbits of conversations, checking out what everyone's wearing, cheering others on, etc.

Have fun!!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to promise that everyone you meet will be nice, there's jerks in every crowd, but by and large runners will be some of the most supportive people you meet. Take it slow, and have fun. As other's have said, if you haven't done so already, look into getting fitted for shoes. They'll help prevent training injuries. You're probably fine with anything right now, but by week 6 you'll be running consistently enough that good shoes will be a life saver. Be sure to go to a good running shop, not a big box athletic store. Someone else mentioned this piece earlier in the thread, but I thought I'd link it:

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

This is a pretty good approximation of what most runners think when they see heavier newbies working hard.
  • fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Can I just say WOW! I have chill bumps from all the responses from ya'll!!!!!! Ya'll gave me some great information and I am so excited to run. It's funny, I never thought I would be excited about running, but I am. I can feel the change this time. I have almost 90 pounds to lose and I will. I just have to stay motiviated and on track.

I am going to check out the fleet feet store and get a good pair of shoes. I am sure that is why I am having shin splits. I will also just run 3 times a week and walk the rest of the time. I bought Chris Powell 7 Day Carb Cycle book and I am using his nutrition plan. He suggest alternating High Carb days with low carb days.....I will see if it works.

Thanks you for your support, it is nice ot have friends!!!!!!
  • Endierunner
    Options
    I've been a fat runner for more than 20 years, and have participated in lots of races, but amazingly enough, have never been the last person to finish a race! and I agree with Drgndancer -- out of a 100 people, 98 of them will be nice. Despite their reputation as arrogant, real runners are welcoming and kind to all body types. besides, I find that after 20 minute of exertion, I no longer care what anyone thinks! about injuries: listen to your body. It always knows what you should do next.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to promise that everyone you meet will be nice, there's jerks in every crowd, but by and large runners will be some of the most supportive people you meet. Take it slow, and have fun. As other's have said, if you haven't done so already, look into getting fitted for shoes. They'll help prevent training injuries. You're probably fine with anything right now, but by week 6 you'll be running consistently enough that good shoes will be a life saver. Be sure to go to a good running shop, not a big box athletic store. Someone else mentioned this piece earlier in the thread, but I thought I'd link it:

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

This is a pretty good approximation of what most runners think when they see heavier newbies working hard.

Great Blog!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Re: shin splints. stretch, warm up and make sure you have good shoes. Shin splints derailed my walking/jogging a few years ago. I regret that I didn't address it before it got in the way of my jogging! And, GO FOR IT!! You aren't running for anyone but yourself!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I think Freddy Mercury summed it up best...

"Now I got mortgages on homes
    I got stiffness in ma' bones
    Ain't no beauty Queens in this locality (I tell you)
    Oh but I still get my pleasure
    Still get my greatest treasure
    Heap big woman you gonna make a big man out of me"

"Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round"

Like so many others, I got nothing but support from other runners, no matter how slow I was. Most were glad to see another convert hitting the trails and pavement.