Help me twaek a recipe please!

Options
I love the no bake peanut butter bars from the tollhouse recipes. I've been playing with the ingrediants trying to make it a bit better....(well as better as it can get) All of the totals below are for a 13x9 inch pan. So you'd generally cut it up into 48 square to get roughly 175 cals per serving.....that's just too much for the size of pc your getting. Can anyone make any tweaking suggestions?

Items in this recipe
Nabisco Premium Crackers - Saltine Crackers - Fat Free, 1 1/2 sleeve
Honey Maid - Low Fat Honey Graham Crackers, 1 1/2 sleeve
Great Value - Peanut Butter - Reduced Fat, 1 cup
Great Value - Creamy Peanut Butter 1 cup
Nestle - Toll House Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips Morsels, 2 cups
Sugars - Powdered, 2 cup unsifted
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!-Original - Margarine, 1 1/2 sticks

Total:
cals 8414
carbs 963
fat 462
protein 140
fiber 55
sugar 603

Replies

• Buzzkitty1
    Options
    I would use natural peanut butter, but that's just me. I would cut back the chips to 1 1/2 cups, and the sugar to 1 1/2 cups. I would use real butter, but cut out 1/2 cup at least. You might also get away with slightly fewer saltines?
    They'd probably be thinner in the pan, but still good :)
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Could you use all or almost all reduced fat peanut butter? Maybe just grate some baker's chocolate or a hershey bar over the top instead of 2 cups of chips -- I know those are a ton of calories from a chocolate chip pancake disaster I had a few months ago.
  • vampwix
    vampwix Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    See if you can go all reduced fat for the pb.

And try splenda instead of sugar. What baking I have done with it, I like. I never notice a difference.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I love the no bake peanut butter bars from the tollhouse recipes. I've been playing with the ingrediants trying to make it a bit better....(well as better as it can get) All of the totals below are for a 13x9 inch pan. So you'd generally cut it up into 48 square to get roughly 175 cals per serving.....that's just too much for the size of pc your getting. Can anyone make any tweaking suggestions?

Items in this recipe
    Nabisco Premium Crackers - Saltine Crackers - Fat Free, 1 1/2 sleeve
    Honey Maid - Low Fat Honey Graham Crackers, 1 1/2 sleeve
    Great Value - Peanut Butter - Reduced Fat, 1 cup
    Great Value - Creamy Peanut Butter 1 cup
    Nestle - Toll House Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips Morsels, 2 cups
    Sugars - Powdered, 2 cup unsifted
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!-Original - Margarine, 1 1/2 sticks

Total:
    cals 8414
    carbs 963
    fat 462
    protein 140
    fiber 55
    sugar 603

I'd cut the sugar down or find another alternative. What is the purpose of the sugar? For texture or just for sweetness? Try using maple syrup or stevia. Go with fewer crackers and maybe substitute whole grain varieties instead. You can certainly find whole grain graham crackers and saltines. Also, you can probably cut the chocolate chip down to 1 cup or use less by cutting bakers squares into chunks.

I agree, natural peanut butter all the way. It's good fat :) and well, butter may be fattening but I'd rather use real butter than margarine. Just not a fan of margarine.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    Forgot to add! You can also substitute cocoa powder in place of the 1 cup or so of the chocolate chips.

Good luck!
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I'll go recalculate and see what I come up with.

Thanks again!