Weights - What is the difference?

Options
2»

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Machines have their place, but free weights should be the meat and potatoes of any good workout program.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    To produce long lean feminine muscles the rule is less weight more reps. I do 3 sets of 20 reps. You should feel it towards the end, but you shouldn't be struggling to finish! I do an entire set, and if i don't feel anything I will more up a weight for the next set. Let your body tell you what to do. I watch others at the gym to see what exercises to try! Or ask a woman that has a body type that is similar to the one you desire. People aren't at the gym to judge you, so you should be comfortable approaching someone! They would probably take it as a compliment:)

There is no such thing as a "long, feminine muscle" my dear. Muscles are a set length, you will not "elongate" your muscles no matter what you do. Many repetitions at lighter weights are only going to get you to one place, a place where you become really efficient at moving a light weight many many times.

OP, looking into New Rules of Lifting For Women. It's a great read and a terrific starting program for strength training. There's also a really great network of NROLFW followers on here (look into the group on here). Good luck! And welcome!
    Echo this. My BEST female clients look ridiculously hot and they ALL live heavy weights. None of them look manly nor overly muscular.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    To produce long lean feminine muscles the rule is less weight more reps. I do 3 sets of 20 reps. You should feel it towards the end, but you shouldn't be struggling to finish! I do an entire set, and if i don't feel anything I will more up a weight for the next set. Let your body tell you what to do. I watch others at the gym to see what exercises to try! Or ask a woman that has a body type that is similar to the one you desire. People aren't at the gym to judge you, so you should be comfortable approaching someone! They would probably take it as a compliment:)

There is no such thing as a "long, feminine muscle" my dear. Muscles are a set length, you will not "elongate" your muscles no matter what you do. Many repetitions at lighter weights are only going to get you to one place, a place where you become really efficient at moving a light weight many many times.

OP, looking into New Rules of Lifting For Women. It's a great read and a terrific starting program for strength training. There's also a really great network of NROLFW followers on here (look into the group on here). Good luck! And welcome!

I agree that lighter weights with higher reps will not elongate, or in any other way enhance your muscles. And here's the link to the NROLFW group here, if you're interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • taylorb318
    Options
    I'd say that a healthy routine would be a combination of BOTH - Free weights AND machines. Either way you can tone up, but a combination of both would give optimal results.

Like others have stated, machines are good for beginners. As you progress, throw in some free weight sessions.
    Free weights are great because you are able to target more muscle fibers than by using just machines.

Here are two great articles on this topic from one of my favorite websites, Bodybuilding.com:
    1.) http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html
    2.) http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/trainingstation3.htm

I'd also suggest doing a little extra browsing on this site. It has some really great information about weight training, nutrition, fat loss, and tons of different sample workout routines specific to your goals. Check it out!

Hope this helps,
    Taylor
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    My personal preference:

Free weights > Machine. Because they work your stabiliser muscles instead of just a specific muscle. They are easier to use and I feel I can make better progress through free weights in both strength and muscle tone.

Low reps/High weight > High reps/Low weight. Don't be afraid of bulking up, you won't. From my experience, my strength has vastly improved with this approach and I'm happier with my body / muscle tone than ever before. The heavy weights really give great results!
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Both have their pros and cons. In the end, if you're a regular exerciser, you need to incorporate variety into your workout so you'll wind up using both of them.
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Sorry, but this is outdated information, or simply misinformation.

Women and men can lift pretty much exactly the same. There's no such thing as "lean feminine muscles." Bulking up for women is downright difficult to accomplish. You can lift very heavy and lower rep sets and still not gain size. You will see much better and quicker results if you lift heavy, period.

Edit: reading on this topic:

http://www.stumptuous.com/strength-without-size-how-to-get-stronger-without-getting-bulky

This guy knows whats up. Lift heavy. You want to make sure form is good first tho. So def start with lower weights to perfect the lifts you're doing. A lot of females are under the impression that if you lift heavy weights you will turn into a monster. As most everyone on here as already said, that is impossible. If you are eating at a calorie defecit....this cannot happen. Once you get your form down, pick weights that are hard to lift. You will see the results you are looking for. If you can finish 5 sets of 5 reps....the weight you picked is probably not heavy enough. Also make sure you rest in between sets. Your muscles will thank you.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I tell people this:
    Machines can make you look good, but free weights make you function properly AND look good.

Lift heavy with proper form in a 5x5 routine and it can take anyone to within 80% of their potential given a proper diet. My opinion your mileage may vary I am not a doctor blah blah.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    the reason alot of ppl will call the machines the devil is they work a specific muscle or muscle grouping in a set plain that can be contrary to what that sets movement actually is also machines alot of times wont work the stabilizer muscles giving you essentially non functional strength that being said there is some use for machines particularly for ppl recuperating from an injury etc your best bet is to buy a book on beginner weight lifting involving free weights and talk to a personal trainer at your gym for help

^ This
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    I'm only wanting to tone up not build up my arms so have only been using a couple of machines. I really have no idea how free weights affect muscle mass vs toning but will consult with an on-site trainer. Thanks for the info :smile:

Being "toned" is simply being lean enough to show some muscle off. You will not look toned if you don't have muscle mass. Arms with muscle>skinny noodle arms
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Also to answer your original question. You should use free weights. Everyone on here has already said why. Anything you can do on machine, you can do with a free weight. You will usually get better faster results with free weights. There is a lot to know about free weights to ensure an injury free workout. But same goes for a machine. If not adjusted properly, it can do waaay more damage than good.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options

Sorry, but this is outdated information, or simply misinformation.

Women and men can lift pretty much exactly the same. There's no such thing as "lean feminine muscles." Bulking up for women is downright difficult to accomplish. You can lift very heavy and lower rep sets and still not gain size. You will see much better and quicker results if you lift heavy, period.

Edit: reading on this topic:

http://www.stumptuous.com/strength-without-size-how-to-get-stronger-without-getting-bulky

This guy knows whats up. Lift heavy. You want to make sure form is good first tho. So def start with lower weights to perfect the lifts you're doing. A lot of females are under the impression that if you lift heavy weights you will turn into a monster. As most everyone on here as already said, that is impossible. If you are eating at a calorie defecit....this cannot happen. Once you get your form down, pick weights that are hard to lift. You will see the results you are looking for. If you can finish 5 sets of 5 reps....the weight you picked is probably not heavy enough. Also make sure you rest in between sets. Your muscles will thank you.

lulzy at first post. High reps build size, low reps build strength. But second two posters are right on. Not sure why females think they wil get big/bulky? I eat 2300-2500 calories a day, lift heavy 60-120 min 5 days a week and I'm not bulky so I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    You are a woman so building muscle will be harder for you. You don't have the testosterone levels of a man so you won't bulk up.

You will see best results if you work out EVERY SINGLE MUSCLE instead of just a select few.

You don't become HUGE fat overnight and you don't become a HUGE body builder over night. There are plenty of women here who have been lifting for over a year and they are just barely seeing the results they want.

So go lift some weights!

So a couple more questions .. Are free weights or machines better? Which is better [more weight less reps] OR [more reps less weight]?

http://www.thestrengthguys.com/2012/08/09/understanding-periodization/
    Now that you understand some basic programming considerations, lets examine some basic guidelines on the 4 main foundational phases of training:" and followed by a helpful chart about reps/sets and what they accomplish.
    Most of this will be a little over your head just scroll down to the part that starts off "