Is not Drinking Enough Water Hindering my Weigh loss ?

Options
I have a hard time drinking my Water everyday , I pretty much maybe drink one glass a day. I have been having problems losing weight , I log on, count my calories, work out .....Does anyone think or know if not drinking enough water is making me plateau and not lose anything ? I will say that I bought 2 of the 1.5 L jugs of water and having been drinking and refilling everyday this week to see if it makes a difference

Replies

• Klaks
    Klaks Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't know if not drinking enough water is the only reason - it might be and it might not be. since water fills you up you're often eating much less if you've had a glass of water before and during your meal. A lot of times when we feel hunger it's really just thirst. if your having trouble with the water try adding some sugarless flavor-things/sweeteners. or maybe just squeeze a bit of lemon into it. or drink tea! (without milk/honey/sugar of course)
    Good luck! :)
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Options
    My mental trick is to think of the water as flushing the fat from my system. That motivates me to drink more. Not to be too graphic, but I also make a habit of checking the toilet bowl and if there's any color in my urine, I force myself to immediately drink 12 ounces. It helps.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    I have a hard time drinking my Water everyday ,

I will say that I bought 2 of the 1.5 L jugs of water and having been drinking and refilling everyday this week to see if it makes a difference

If you are refilling your 1.5 L jugs daily, you are getting lots of water. More than the recommended 8 glasses per day. I drink copious amounts of water (6-8 L) each day, somedays more. If for some reason I do not drink as much as I would normally drink, I start to feel bloated, dry itchy skin, and swollen ankles and fingers. Some people will say you can drink too much water, but no one has said what too much is. Me, I drink all day long, everyday. My 8 L is great for me, but not so great for others. So how much is enough? Your body will tell you, listen to it.
  • cyndymar
    cyndymar Posts: 73
    Options
    Drink at least 3 liters is what I do and what I see you doing if you dont drink enough water your body thinks its dehydrated and will store it up which means it will look like more weight on the scale hope this helps ??
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    Well it isn't helping. And although people can still lose with out drinking tons of it...I like the saying that if you are not helping you are hindering. Drinking more will help you to lose more...regularly and will make you feel better. I used to gag when I drank water, but now if I don't get enough, I feel bad, almost bloated because of it. Plus with the amount of salt most people take in each day it isn't a bad idea to force more down. It is just like exercising, you may not want to but you know you have to, and the more you do, the better of a habit it becomes :)
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    Also shoot for about 1/2 to 1 ounce of water per pound of weight. So 150 pound person should get about 75 to 150 ounces a day min. Just a rule of thumb to go with so you know you are getting enough.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    For myself, if I don't drink enough water I swell up like a balloon from water retention! One those days I'm sure to gain 1-3 pounds, the more water I drink the less bloated I am and my ankels aren't the size of my calves! I also tend to get headaches when I don't drink enough....so that alone has me chugging my water! :)
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The whole 8 cups of water per day myth has long since been busted. The common thinking is that you need 120oz of liquid...This can come from any non-caffeinated beverage, as well as from food. If you have problems drinking water add cucumber...or lemon juice...or both, also look for some artificial zero calorie sweetners....not everything has to be squeaky "clean"

So water....when you don't drink a lot of water, your body assumes there is a drought and holds onto water. When you start to drink water regularly, the drought must be over, so it releases the water stores, resulting in a quick initial weight loss...then it stabilizes.

Past the initial few weeks....for the Kidney's to do what they do, they must be flushed with water...so keep your pee like lemonade....less like ice tea color. When the Kidney's are flushed, they filter and work properly, when they don't have enough water, they work less efficiently, and the liver has to pitch in to help more than it should. As the liver helps the kidney's, it can't do what its main job is, which is to remove toxins and convert fatty acid (fat)....

so yes, water is important....not drinking enough water will reduce liver function, and slow down your fat loss rate....
  • BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you are refilling your 1.5 L jugs daily, you are getting lots of water. More than the recommended 8 glasses per day. I drink copious amounts of water (6-8 L) each day, somedays more. If for some reason I do not drink as much as I would normally drink, I start to feel bloated, dry itchy skin, and swollen ankles and fingers. Some people will say you can drink too much water, but no one has said what too much is. Me, I drink all day long, everyday. My 8 L is great for me, but not so great for others. So how much is enough? Your body will tell you, listen to it.

Too much water is enough water to cause water intoxication, but it's rare to drink that much water. The most recent examples of water intoxication resulting in death came from frat hazings. No clue how much you have to drink to get to that point.
  • gabesmom11211
    Options
    To much water is most def a bad thing however you do need the right amount. And you are not alone, I dont just hate drinking water, I HATE drinking anything. Im just not a drinking person period of any sorts. I have worked my way up to an average of 5 cups a day but I know its still not enough :(
    I can also tell you that my nutritionist agrees that 8 cups a day is average goal but also not technically correct. You are suppose to take your body weight , divide in half, then divide by 8 ozs to figure how many cups you need (ex: 200 lbs/2=100 lbs/ 8 oz glasses = 12.50...so if you weight 200 lbs you should be drinking 12 1/2 -8oz glasses of water a day)

Hope this helps...and GOOD LUCK
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Too much water is enough water to cause water intoxication, but it's rare to drink that much water. The most recent examples of water intoxication resulting in death came from frat hazings. No clue how much you have to drink to get to that point.

The last time I went to the urologist, I asked him about HIS take on fluid requirements. He wouldn't give me a specific number, but he DID say that I have NO limitations on how much I may drink. I asked him specifically about water intoxication ( some bozo on here said you could DIE from drinking 64oz a day) and he said that it is VERY rare, and for every ONE person he sees with water intoxication ( or anything similar) he sees HUNDREDS of patients who are chronically dehydrated. Urine color *can* be a good indicator of hydration, but don't NOT drink if you are thirsty because your pee is light.

Personally, I was chronically dehydrated for several years. I was fat ( still am) and ended up with a HUGE kidney stone. That was my wake up call. I had to have 3 surgeries in 3 weeks to deal with the stone. I have to have a 24hr urine collection and a pelvic x-ray done every 6-12 months to make sure I am not developing stones. According to my doctor, I personally need 3-4L MINIMUM daily to make my system work right.
  • nancy4b2g
    Options
    YES....I finally signed up with a nutritionist and she says that you must drink water. The rule has changed though. Whatever you weigh...divide that in half. So if you are 150 pounds divide that by 2 giving you 75 pounds. That is the ounces of water you should be drinking per day. She goes on to say that your cell has an intercellular area and an extracellular area. The intercellular area needs to be at 60% or higher. This does many things for your over all health including keeping toxins from entering your cells and mutating and causing things like cancer and so on. There is no substitute for water. Water is water. You can drink other drinks but you cannot drink other drinks in place of water. I hope this helps. You may add me to your friends and we can talk more if you would like. Good luck and drink, drink, drink your water.
  • N0703989
    N0703989 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't think it just about weight loss.

Since I've started drinking 2ltrs each day my skin is looking healthier and younger. I also read here that it helps with restoring normal skin after losing a large amount of weight.
  • Kathyharding
    Options
    Definitely makes a difference for me. My Curves gal said that water is used in the body in the order of importance and the last thing it is used for is to metabolize fat. If that is the case, it makes sense why they tell you to drink 8 glasses a day. Of course, I have heard that that can be total liquids, not just water. Try adding some flavoring and drink it that way.
  • 12lucky12
    12lucky12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    you need to drink at least 8 glasses i fine it difficult but i alway carry a bottle with me
  • Golfgirl16
    Golfgirl16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not the biggest fan of water but lemon helps. I also really enjoy sparkling water...LOVE carbonation!! Carbonated water makes me drink way more then I used to!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    NO. The myth that you need 8 glasses of water has been debunked a million times. Most living creatures get most of their needed water from the foods they eat. You consuming 1 or 57 glasses makes no difference except the calories you burn running to the bathroom.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Topic: Is not Drinking Enough Water Hindering my Weigh loss ?
    BUMP
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    No one even knows where the "recommended" eight glasses a day comes from.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Hydration is important, yes....that's why we have this thing called "thirst". Gorging yourself on water is not going to "flush fat". It's only going to overtax your kidneys, make you pee out B vitamins and other vitamins that are water soluable. Have you ever taken a B-Complex vitamin? Within a couple of hours, your pee is going to be a very dark yellow. Drinking more water is only going to flush out the rest of it.

Drink enough water to be hydrated and leave it at that. Anything more is just a useless trip to the bathroom.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am in the camp with those who say half your body weight in ounces of water. I have had a nutritionist tell me this. for me, that is around 115 ounces of water a day. I rarely drink that much but usually get 88-104 ounces a day--usually closer to 104. I do not count my caffeine free diet Pepsi as part of my liquid intake--only water intake. Combined with making right food choices, and watching caloric intake (usually between 1400-1700 calories) and daily (at least 4-5 times a week) exercise, I have lost 45.8 pounds since January 4. I believe the water intake is as much credited for the weight loss as all the other things I do and am making it a priority.