Crisp substitute?

Options
Anyone have any good ideas for a crisp substitute? I think I have a genuine addiction! I enjoy the picking and crunch?! Please feel free to add to motivate each other too I'm new to the message boards

Replies

• srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    baby carrots

nuts

pretzels

popcorn

Are all my go-to's when I need a crunch snack.
  • pink2lady
    pink2lady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Cold cucumber slices ( peel left on) with hummus
  • voncilec
    voncilec Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Fresh radishes are super crispy! I have had them in salads and with hummus but there flavor is so bland they probably go well with any kind of dip!
  • lucipoo
    lucipoo Posts: 4
    Options
    Hmm thanks guys I will see how it goes!
  • marielouisehilton
    Options
    Kale chips... I'm just trying to find the recipe.... here we go...

Ingredients

1 bunch kale
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon seasoned salt

Directions

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
    Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

10mins prep and 10mins cook and really tasty.

One tip I have is only bake as many as you are going to eat that day. They do not store well :o(
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    cucumbers with balsamic vinegar
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Fresh radishes are super crispy! I have had them in salads and with hummus but there flavor is so bland they probably go well with any kind of dip!

Yes, I had some today! I love how spicy they are. :tongue:

OP: Do you want to give up chips/crisps completely or just find a lower calorie version? If it's the latter, have you looked into Popchips, pita chips, Soy Crisps, Terra Chips, etc? There are also Almond Thin crackers and Rice thin crackers that have a great crunch to them for not too many calories.

As others have suggested, good crunchy veggies are fantastic too. Cucumbers, carrots, celery, and things like that are fantastic, you can eat a ton of them, and a sprinkle of lime salt, garlic powder, or other seasonings makes them feel more indulgent.

You can also make your own veggie treats by baking sliced potatos, sweet potatos, kale, chickpeas, edamame and the like with seasonings of your choice.
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Potato
  • hmarean
    hmarean Posts: 15
    Options
    Frozen grapes are one of my favorites
  • stephaniekford
    Options
    Sweet potatoes work well on one of those microwave crispers and they help with the crunch and the sweet.
  • joanne51971
    Options
    bran flakes are good, i love crisps too!! :love: cornflakes anything along those lines i use :wink:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Twiglets?

I don't think there is a substitute really, I can't keep away from them!
  • Blissfulspace
    Blissfulspace Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Toasted Tortilla Wrap, cut into small triangles - tastes great and nearly a crisp like texture, but much lower in cals
  • 4manda76
    4manda76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm a crisp addict and have tried loads of substitutes and to honest if your a crisp addict there is no substitute :o/
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Pampered Chef has a chip maker. All you need is a mandoline (sp?) and a little salt to make your own chips :D

Otherwise, apples, carrots, celery, cucumbers, kale chips, sweet potato chips. And check the labels of some chips and snacks. SOme aren't that bad, especially if you are eating the right serving size. It'll seem small but it works for me!
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Rice crackers are my treat,
    not as healthy as some things,
    but like u say, its the crunch,,,
  • ren3of3
    ren3of3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    not to plug a product, be these really helped me. The texture is more pringles-esque than crisp, but for the cals and protein content, it's a much better alternative to a bag of Doritos.

http://www.dietdirect.com/bariwise-high-protein-potato-chip-snacks-bw239-pizza.html?gclid=CLG4ztqT_LECFUyb7Qod4xsAfQ#.UDVLxNZlTjU
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    La Choy Chow mein noodles. Doesn't normally take too many to get a good crunch. I put them in my salads in my Romaine wraps etc or sometimes just eat them alone.
  • Ali155
    Ali155 Posts: 30
    Options
    Popchips
    Brownie crisps
  • krys65
    krys65 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    parmesian and romano cheese crisps.. crunchy and delicious...