suggestions from the ladies-lower stomach control wear

Options
Ok, I have been getting serious about exercising and have spent weeks in the pool and 2+ weeks in the dark theater room on the bikes. Underwater and in the dark movie room at the gym ppl cant really see me.
Now, I am working with a trainer and I am out in the open. I HATE my lower belly roll/flap. Well, all of them actually. LOL I have been in the obese category for all of my adult life and always wear long shirts to cover the roll. Currently wearing W 18/20. I have been in W22/24. I can't hide it when I am doing sit-ups---like yesterday!!! My sweat pants were sliding down...my shirt up....yea, it was ugly. All I could do was laugh.

Lovely larger ladies who have been in my situation....what did/do you wear? Where did you buy them? I live in the states and have all types of stores around me. Web ordering is good too.

Thank you for sharing good and not-so-good experiences with work-out wear. I hope to be brave enough to eventually wear more somewhat fitted tank tops too. It is frustrating struggling with the larger, bulky, heavy t-shirts.

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Well, I discovered belly bands when I was pregnant. They are wide elastic bands that you can wear over regular clothes or maternity clothes to help adapt them for your growing belly. My DD is now almost 17 months old and I still use them! They stay in place and look like just a really stretchy/spandex type of tank top if they end up peeking out under your t-shirt. I wear them with my sweatpants that are too big otherwise, and also with jeans/pants that are getting too big and have a tendancy to fall down.

If you look in to them, I got my favorite one from Babies R Us. Motherhood maternity has them, but I didn't like the fabric they were made out of as much.

ETA: I don't really have an actual workout gear recommendation. I started out at the same size as you and am about the same size now, and a lot of stuff that I try on either is too tight to be comfortable or too loose to function well. I thought about getting some yoga type workout pants the other day, but the size XL was too small and the size XXL jumped up in size so much that they were too big.
  • kcarlson22
    kcarlson22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love my under armour capris they are super thick and hold everything in. The waistband folds over for extra support or you can keep it high waisted to hold your upper belly too.
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I wear compression capris when I'm exercising in a public place (gym, zumba, etc.) I also wear more fitted clothing. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but if I'm wearing a baggy shirt and I bend over the shirt will flop around and possibly show my body, but if it's more fitted, I don't have that happen.
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Options
    My weight loss journey started with a 4-hour surgery to repair an abdominal hernia, so support garments are uber-important to me. (We're about the same size.) I find that undergarments work far better than bands for me with vigorous exercise because they don't shift around. It also helps to go with either boy-cut shorts or high-legged garments to avoid the kind of binding and irritation at the legs you can get with a lot of leg movement. I buy the generic-brand Spanx-type at Target.
  • legaline
    legaline Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    there is a line of workout wear called "the girls" that has a lot of tummy control options.

http://www.thegirlsapparel.com/press.asp

Its really affordable, i think--but you can also find their stuff at TJMaxx every once in awhile for even cheaper.
  • 2012Brenda
    Options
    Thank you all for the good ideas. It is nice to have a place to ask these questions from someone who has been there, done that.

Best of luck to you all for a fantastic energizing workout today!! :flowerforyou: