Life gluten free.

Options
Are there other mfper's who try to stick to a gluten free life style?

While dealing with my galbladder issues early last year - The doctor and I had discovered that I have celiac disease.

But after having my galbladder removed - I went through a phase were I thought I could eat anything again. It's safe to say that's not the case - and I'm now trying to figure out the best way to avoid gluten since where ever you look - something has wheat in it.

How did you begin a gluten free diet? What steps have you made to avoid gluten products?

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I was misdiagnosed with celiac a few years ago and went GF, i started eating it again but then realized i felt better without it so i recently stoppedhaving it again. I look at EVERYTHING, and I don't replace foods. For instance i dont but GF bread or pastas (very rarely). I also dont eat protein bars or anything really processed. It's the best way to absolutely avoid gluten. Good luck!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    EAT REAL FOOD.

Don't buy into the hype of those marketed products.............

JUST EAT REAL FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    EAT REAL FOOD.

Aye, real foods. Just look at the ingredients and check to see about wheat. Marketed products tend to cost more without really providing anything new. "Gluten Free Water! Only $6.00 a bottle!" for example would be a terrible consumer purchase.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I read Wheat Belly first, then The Primal Blueprint. I decided to experiment and see what would happen if I removed wheat from my diet and then added it back in. I stopped eating wheat last September. I don't go crazy trying to be gluten free though, I just stopped eating breads, pastas, cake etc. The result is I can't eat wheat now without unpleasant digestion issues. I'm not sure if I had a wheat sensitivity and didn't know it or if my body 'forgot' how to digest it. But now if I want a bowl of pasta I have to pay the price later. I don't recommend eating fake gluten free 'breads' etc. or any 'fake' food in general. I do sometimes make 'bread' from almond flour at home. Now if I eat a cracker it tastes like cardboard... I'd rather have veggies.

It's really difficult to eat gluten free especially if you go out to restaurants. Most can't guarantee there will be no trace of gluten. OH not to mention some lip balms/glosses/lipstick contain gluten!

Gluten is in so many products... I try to eat whole unprocessed foods...nothing in a box.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html

http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-recipes/

http://nomnompaleo.com/
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I live gluten free by choice , and im lactose . Its not that bad there are many many options that are gluten free at stores and coconut flour is wondeful for baking :)

I have done currently 4 months no gluten except last night (my boyfriend took us to east side marios >,<) i indulged in pasta. But apart from that 1 dish i havent consumed any, my body is less "bloated" feeling and i have more energy :)

i should add i also havent eaten out in nearly as long , my boyfriend decided it was a splurg night. honestly it isnt that bad you just need time to do it,if you want some coconut flour recipes inbox me i have many. (allergic too almonds haha)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If I found out that all my digestive issues, joint pain, depression, etc. were caused by gluten, I think I might still eat it. I just can't imagine a life without great bread, pastries, beer...
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist suggested I go gluten free after my second ear infection in less than 2 months (adults should rarely get ear infections, apparently... and excess mucus is a main cause, and gluten is a mucus-causer). I had already been avoiding most refined flour and stuff, but would still eat meatballs and other things with little bit of gluten here and there. Now I've been completely GF for about 2 weeks, and I feel great (thought I was already feeling pretty great just from cutting out breads and such). My overall feeling of well-being increased, I haven't experienced any joint pain, and I haven't had any headaches. I also don't exhibit much in the way of IBS symptoms (undiagnosed) that I used to experience pretty much every morning.

It's tough to give up things that I really really enjoyed before, like sourdough bread, pasta, and certain candy/sweets. However, quinoa pasta has been a serious life saver. Unfortunately, it has corn in it too, so some still can't have it, but having an alternative to regular pasta really helped me get into the groove of eating healthier AND ENJOYING IT!
  • boydsterk
    boydsterk Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I appreicate it everyone. It's not something that's very common with people I know at work, friends, ect..

I'll have to read that Wheat Belly book everyone is talking about.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Are there other mfper's who try to stick to a gluten free life style?

While dealing with my galbladder issues early last year - The doctor and I had discovered that I have celiac disease.

But after having my galbladder removed - I went through a phase were I thought I could eat anything again. It's safe to say that's not the case - and I'm now trying to figure out the best way to avoid gluten since where ever you look - something has wheat in it.

How did you begin a gluten free diet? What steps have you made to avoid gluten products?

I am gluten free. Gluten isn't that hard to get rid of in a diet, it just requires you to eat foods that you've been avoiding; like fruits, vegetables, and home cooked meals.

I have lost 60 lbs since I have gone gluten free and I'm shooting for another 15. I don't have Celiac per a diagnosis stand point, but from a "food education" and a "my GERD, Anxiety Disorder, and ADHD is gone" stand point, I had decided to continue my Celiac Diet.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you want there are groups on MFP for paleo/primal eating. They are good forums to ask questions, especially when you first go gluten-free.

I'm gluten-free by choice and don't feel the effects if I inadvertently eat something with gluten, so it's probably harder for those who are truly celiac. But for me, it hasn't been too hard to eliminate bread/pasta/rice (and I've also eliminated most legumes) from my diet. I don't have the sugar cravings I used to have, and I honestly haven't missed them. I've gotten used to eating sandwiches "protein-style" with a lettuce wrap, using veggies as my "rice" or "pasta", and packing lunches. Much healthier and filling.

I don't buy the gluten-free processed stuff, but I have been having fun buying some of the cool "raw food" concoctions at my local Whole Foods. I live in a town with LOTS of new health food company start-ups, so there are several cool local brands of raw seed/flax/coconut treats or crackers. Check your local health food store for their "raw foods" section and you might fight healthier treat/cracker options than the processed stuff. Also, you can also buy "Paleo Bread" from Julian's Bakery online. I haven't tried it yet, but it's made from Almond or Coconut Flour and doesn't seem to have a crazy ingredient list.

Good luck, and best wishes for a healed gut.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I"m truley Celiac, so no cheating, or "just this one meal of pasta/pizza/waffles" for me. I also cannot eat eggs, dairy or more then a couple bites of meat without getting sick. Soooo....eating isn't fun lol.

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, rice, quinoa, rice crackers/cakes, GF cereal, potatoes, thats about it. Oh, and I love smoothies. A green smoothie a day with protein powder is a lifesaver for me.

GF bread is pretty nasty, and a lot of the gluten alternatives are just not great for you, I wouldn't buy them. But if you are dying for a cookie, Enjoy Life brand is pretty tasty, as well as Glutino pretzels. But they are made of crap....good for a treat.

One thing I can suggest if to learn how to bake if you want bread, muffins, cookies, waffles, etc. It all tastes so much better homemade. Bobs Red Mill is has a few good mixes too, the pizza crust is delicious.

And look out for hidden gluten. Its in everything. Soy sauce, teriyaki, some ketchups, bbq sauces, candy, canned soup, supplements/vitamins, nuts (the ones from the bulk bins are often coated with flour) and lots of seasonings. And gravy. I make my own. Even things that seem safe, like french fries, might now be. Read every label. And look up allergy warning for whatever restuarant you go to before you get there.

Someone also told me about going to a restuarant and having steamed veggies, and getting really sick. Turns out the restaurant par-boiled the veggies in pasta water. Its not a bad idea to tell waiters that you are gluten free so they can warn the kitchen.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was on a gluten free lactose free diet for a while. I had a lot of quinoa, rice, veggies, fruits, lean meats ( I was only allowed chicken, fish and turkey), I did enjoy the corn based pastas. Good luck :)
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I was on a gluten free lactose free diet for a while. I had a lot of quinoa, rice, veggies, fruits, lean meats ( I was only allowed chicken, fish and turkey), I did enjoy the corn based pastas. Good luck :)

This.

I do have occasional corn based products too but since corn is an anti-nutrient more than it's nutritious, I avoid it the best I can.

The only hard part about GFCF has been making my own foods and cooking like it's the 1930's again. But I think that this has been the best thing for me; processed foods have a tendency to make us lazy and now that I know the amount of time put into cooking "good food", I appreciate going to restaurants and waiting for my food longer knowing they are doing it "right".
  • sandrahulleman
    Options
    I have celiac disease and have had it all of my life. The only way to determine whether you have celiac disease or a gluten intolerance is to have a small bowel biopsy. A positive test means you are celiac.

Read what you can on the website of your national Celiac Association. They will have the most up to date information. Also, see a registered dietitian who will help you with portions and additives, etc.

I was diagnosed about 30 years ago and I just saw a dietitian a few weeks ago. The information is constantly changing and she provided me with some excellent insights.

Not all gluten free food is awful. Most of the breads, etc. are great if you toast them first. Udi's brand is good. Anyway, feel free to friend me if you like.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Several of my friends have celiac disease, and several more paleo-types, so I am primarily GF just because that's what I'm around - though I notice when I adhere to it, I feel way much mo' betta.

Mostly, I just make extra veggies where I used to put in pasta or rice or bread. If it's a dish that would historically be stacked on something wheat-y, I put it on a giant stack of broccoli slaw or lightly steamed squash. Also: mmmmm, quinoa!

I haven't bought a single GF replacement in the time I've been doing this (on and off, about 3 months).
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just started G-free. I found Elizabeth Hasselbecks book The G-Free diet a lifesaver! No matter what you think about her political views, her book includes grocery lists of g-free foods and websites so you have a good base to start. It really helped me see that there are still things I can eat.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    EAT REAL FOOD.

Aye, real foods. Just look at the ingredients and check to see about wheat. Marketed products tend to cost more without really providing anything new. "Gluten Free Water! Only $6.00 a bottle!" for example would be a terrible consumer purchase.

Umm, REAL foods don't have an ingredients list.

Apple = Apple
    Fish = Fish
    Beef (steak) = beef

ETC.............
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm not diagnosed because I cut out gluten on my own with out being diagnosed before hand. My understanding is that in order to be diagnosed I'll have to go back to eating gluten. Not worth it. I have been accidentally 'glutenated' several times since going gluten free and I end up sick and in bed for days. I have to miss work and school and my digestive system is out of wack for months. It's terrible.

That being said, when I first went gluten free I started out really basic. For dinner I would have nachos with tons of veggies and dairy free cheese (I'm dairy free too) or quinoa, steamed veggies and an easy to prepare protein like chicken or fish. Gluten free toast and an egg for breakfast. Quinoa bowls for lunch (quiona, a protein and veggies all mixed in together, it tastes really good cold. I usually just used left overs from my dinner the night before). I didn't use lots of condiments and kept things very basic. I believe this helped me adjust to my new life style and it helped my system recover and reset.

As I got used to cooking and eating gluten free I branched out and tried more complicated recipes. I now love to bake and cook gluten free- it's like second nature. My boyfriend even cooks and eats mostly gluten free without thinking about it. The only gluten we have in the house right now is one loaf of bread for his lunches. And I keep it well away from my foods lol. :)

It takes awhile but you will get used to it and pretty soon it will become automatic for you. Start out small and simple and then branch out from there. I won't lie, eating out at restaurants or at friend's houses can still be a struggle but I've found that if explain how sick I get from eating gluten people generally want to help you out. If you ever doubt the safety of a food, restaurant or situation just walk away. Its not worth it to be sick.

Here are a few really good sites for cooking and eating gluten free:

http://glutenfreetraveller.com/category/topics-2/simple-recipes/

http://glutenfreegirl.com/about/

Good luck and if you need help or support feel free to add me or even just message me :)