strength or cardio?

Options
I know i know this has been asked a thousand times plus one, but here i go, I usually do cardio about 50 mins or so, elliptical, bike, treadmill, and then do weights (legs, arms). Ive been reading here to cut down cardio to 15-20 mins and concentrate more on weights to tone up and obviously gain muscle... the only reason im doing cardio is because i have fat stored around my waist (yes dreaded muffin top) and i know you can not spot reduce...

I weigh 138 5'4' and that is my only concern as to why i do cardio...if i were to cut down on cardio in just do weights, will i still be able to eventuallllllly lose the side handles

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Cardio helps cardiovascular health and also increases calories spent in a day.

If you can create a decent calorie deficit through diet alone, you can live without cardio alright.

Keep the weights. Your butt will look 50x better in a bikini with weights. I've seen the pictures >.>
  • erdunn75
    erdunn75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    First of all, You need to strength train then do cardio. Not visa versa. If you do cardio first you dont have enough left in the tank to strength train effectively.
    Muscle burns more calories and takes up less space than the same amount of fat. Cardio increases your hearts strength and boosts your mood, helps you sleep, gives you energy, etc.. You should do both.
  • pandatoot
    Options
    thanks for the info you guys :) .... yea ive been doing cardio first ahh! switching it up starting tomorrow and only warming up a bit
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    First of all, You need to strength train then do cardio. Not visa versa. If you do cardio first you dont have enough left in the tank to strength train effectively.

It does not matter what order you workout in - personal preference whether you want to do cardio first, last, or in intervals between weight sets.
  • pandatoot
    Options

It does not matter what order you workout in - personal preference whether you want to do cardio first, last, or in intervals between weight sets.

awesome photo!!! im gonna switch it up since either way by the time i get to weights i feel more than half way pooped
  • catch622
    catch622 Posts: 18
    Options

I agree.

I've done workouts where I would start with cardio, lift, and end with cardio. Sometimes I've done cardio inbetween lifting. It all depends on what you want to do, just stay safe.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are actually better off doing cardio and strength training on different days so your body doesnt fight for resources to repair the muscles. Also, ST is much more effective at cutting fat, so if you have a gut then ST will provide better results.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Strength over cardio. Yes, cardio burns more calories for that day but strength builds more muscle so you can burn more calories every day.

If you have time for only one skip the cardio.