Fake honey?!

Options
I found this today:

http://www.naturalnews.com/034102_honey_consumer_alert.html

It seems that 75% of all honey in the US may be fake, and is probably filled with high fructose corn syrup or other crap.

I'll try to stick with raw, organic honey to be sure that I've got the real stuff!

The Food Industry is completely irresponsible sometimes... don't you think?

Replies

• maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    This would be one of the many reasons I love picking it up fresh from a local clover farm. You never really know what's in your food after it's been mass preserved, packaged and sent out.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Relax - Here's an article explaining why that study's claims are misleading (if not downright untrue). Basically, their premise that if it doesn't contain pollen, then it isn't honey - is false.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2011/11/25/142659547/relax-folks-it-really-is-honey-after-all

This is a key excerpt:
    First of all, we learned that missing pollen actually is not evidence of "ultrapurification." We visited one of the country's top-tier honey packers, Dutch Gold, in Lancaster, Pa. We saw raw honey getting pumped through layers of white filters. Before the honey hit the filters, a powdered sedimentary rock called diatomaceous earth was added.

This is a standard, widely used process. It removes all the pollen, along with dust, bees' wings, and, of course, the diatomaceous earth. But it is not ultrafiltration, which filters out much more and produces a sweet substance that is no longer, in fact, honey.

Why do packers filter honey? Removing microscopic particles keeps the honey from crystallizing quickly
  • snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump for later, I am going to let my husband the bee keeper answer this one.
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump for later, I am going to let my husband the bee keeper answer this one.

Awesome, professional information!