Running vs. Walking

Options
Assuming you are going the same speed for the same amount of time, which is better for fat loss? And which burns more calories?

Replies

• jtgilfoy
    jtgilfoy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How could you run at walking speed? The question doesn't make sense to me.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Running would. With running, you are making a lot of small, one legged jumps in the air.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    speed walking
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    How could you run at walking speed? The question doesn't make sense to me.

^ This.

4.0mph = fast walking
    5.0mph = jogging
    6.0mph = running

The faster you go the more calories you burn per minute.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options
    Running would. With running, you are making a lot of small, one legged jumps in the air.

omggg didn't think about that, but it does make sense! thanks :)
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options
    and yes you can walk at running speed, i do it all the time on the treadmill. which is why i'm wondering which is better :p
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are going the same speed for the same amount of time, which is better for fat loss? And which burns more calories?

Generally, walking at slow speeds. This changes as the speed goes up to running, because of more muscle contractions.

Running predominantly requires faster twitch muscle fibres to fire - even when going slowly. Fast twitch muscle fibres predominantly use ATP stores and/or lactic acid system to provide energy... Whereas walking at the same speed is primarily a slow twitch muscle fibre contraction, which predominantly uses the aerobic system for energy.

And what you'll find is that after walking at slowly improving speeds, your aerobic system improves which should allow you to begin running - which will in turn use those trained slow twitch muscle fibres, burning more fat per muscle contraction down the line.
  • michellekicks
    Options
    and yes you can walk at running speed, i do it all the time on the treadmill. which is why i'm wondering which is better :p

What running speed do you walk at?
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options

• RawVeganFlirt
    Options

Generally, walking at slow speeds. This changes as the speed goes up to running, because of more muscle contractions.

Running predominantly requires faster twitch muscle fibres to fire - even when going slowly. Fast twitch muscle fibres predominantly use ATP stores and/or lactic acid system to provide energy... Whereas walking at the same speed is primarily a slow twitch muscle fibre contraction, which predominantly uses the aerobic system for energy.

And what you'll find is that after walking at slowly improving speeds, your aerobic system improves which should allow you to begin running - which will in turn use those trained slow twitch muscle fibres, burning more fat per muscle contraction down the line.

oooh i love when people get scientific :) good info thanks!
  • Shadowsan
    Options

km/h or mph?

If that's mph... That's 12 min mile pace. How can women walk that fast?!?!? It only ever seems to be women who can do it. It's like an innate talent that women have - especially when they're angry at something. I don't get it.
  • michellekicks
    Options

In that case, I would think the walking might burn a higher percentage of the burn from fat vs. jogging... but you may burn more calories overall with jogging. Have you compared your HR during both exercises?
  • ceefin
    ceefin Posts: 16
    Options
    I've just started running and I'm finding it so frustrating that I have to keep the speed way down while I'm learning. My best power walking speed over a usual 10 mile route is 4.7mph. My running speed at the moment is about 4.5mph and I can only run for about 20mins which is only about 100 calories burned. However I can walk at 4.5mph for up to 4 hours every weekend and that's a LOT of calories (my average burned is about 850) for a lot less effort
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options

km/h or mph?

If that's mph... That's 12 min mile pace. How can women walk that fast?!?!? It only ever seems to be women who can do it. It's like an innate talent that women have - especially when they're angry at something. I don't get it.

lmao i don't know but i definitely out walk every damn person on the sidewalk even though i'm only 5'2 ;p
    did you see the olympic event called race walking??? its soooooo f*ckin funny all the girls look like they're waddling penguins
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I would guess running.... but I have a question... pertaining to the same thing, sorta...

I just recently started to run, (doing a version of "The Beginning Runner's Handbook: The Proven 13-Week Walk-Run Program by Ian MacNeill" program ) more like jogging at slow speeds... That being said, how is it possible to jog slower than you walk?

I ask cause today, I timed myself for the first time. And a walk that normally takes 40 minutes for me to do, took me an hour :noway:
  • Shadowsan
    Options

In that case, I would think the walking might burn a higher percentage of the burn from fat vs. jogging... but you may burn more calories overall with jogging. Have you compared your HR during both exercises?

Also - be aware of your HR. Once you go over a percentage that the number eludes me at this particular moment in time... 75% maybe? Your body stops burning calories aerobically (i.e. burning fat) and panics and goes into the anaerobic system/lactic acid system which will feel pretty uncomfortable. It'll burn off calories, but it's not targeting specifically fat.

Edit - Spot the dude who studied sports science for 4 years :S
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options

at that speed my heart rate is around 170 , i feel like i'm working much harder and breathing much faster while i'm walking though
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    here is my typical answer.....it covers the benefits of simply walking ...and in addition, my last biggest loser contest, the winner walked only and lost 33lbs in 2 months, and 6% body fat. He walked about 60 miles per week....and obviously several long walks on weekends.

23 and 1/2 hours: What is the single best thing we can do for our health?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo&noredirect=1
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you're walking, you are not at running speed. It's relative to the individual. Running burns more calories for the same distance as walking.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options

Also - be aware of your HR. Once you go over a percentage that the number eludes me at this particular moment in time... 75% maybe? Your body stops burning calories aerobically (i.e. burning fat) and panics and goes into the anaerobic system/lactic acid system which will feel pretty uncomfortable. It'll burn off calories, but it's not targeting specifically fat.

Edit - Spot the dude who studied sports science for 4 years :S

ohh maybe i should slow down then, 75% for me would be 150 but i'm closer to 170 when i'm doing cardio