going to the U.S., what should I buy ?

Options
what types of foods / drinks should buy that canada does not have?

i am pretty sure canada doesn't have chobani greek yogurt so ill buy that :)

what else should I buy?

no fast food / junk food please!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Canada has or doesn't have so I couldn't tell ya. Lol
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    kind of depends on where you're going too. and i'm sorry if i went to a different country, even if its close i wouldn't get yogurt-something that can be bought literally anywhere in the world lol.
  • therealmax
    therealmax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Go to Trader Joes! Love it :)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Unless you're looking for junk food, I don't thing the US has anything healthy that's worth bringing back.

I'd go clothes shopping, if anything. There's a lot of variety depending on where you're going.
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    kind of depends on where you're going too. and i'm sorry if i went to a different country, even if its close i wouldn't get yogurt-something that can be bought literally anywhere in the world lol.

i knoww its silly lol but i always hear about this greek yogurt and we seriously don't have it in canada, we have Liberte, Oikos, etc. I just wanna try it:)
  • soleilxo
    Options
    Unless you're looking for junk food, I don't thing the US has anything healthy that's worth bringing back.

I'd go clothes shopping, if anything. There's a lot of variety depending on where you're going.

yea thats what the plan is: clothes shopping:)
  • betrayalunknown
    Options
    Where are you going in the U.S.? That makes a huge difference, too.

I'm in Cali-Cali, so like a previous poster said, Trader Joes is a must if you are coming to California. Whole Foods, too.

Otherwise, I've seen tons of people say they wanted to try PB2 but Amazon won't ship to Canada? (Idk, maybe i'm wrong about this I'm not sure.) So maybe you could have some PB2 shipped to a U.S. address to bring back with you... because that stuff is prettttttty amazing!!
  • GLR87
    GLR87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Go to Trader Joes! Love it :)

I second that!
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    i know when i go to canada i'm getting poutine! never had it but it sounds yummy!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    lol it tastes just like any other greek yogurt but costs double. and ditto to the trader joes comment. so much healthy delicious food. i'm not sure where you're going but try to eat at a local healthy restaurant for some regional food. yelp should be your new bff.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I always hear of people going to Canada for gambling, cigarettes s, alcohol, prescription drug and toilets. No idea what we have down here you can't get in Canada and bring back legally.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My grocery store has Chobani yogurt.

Bring me back some Franken-Berry, please.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Based on the title of the thread, I was going to say buy up some houses if you could afford to :wink:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Bring ketchup flavored lays with you and you can sell them here! Nom nom nom, I grew up on those (hence being fat, but still love them!)
  • soleilxo
    Options
    Bring ketchup flavored lays with you and you can sell them here! Nom nom nom, I grew up on those (hence being fat, but still love them!)

lol i wish I could :P
  • soleilxo
    Options
    Based on the title of the thread, I was going to say buy up some houses if you could afford to :wink:

maybe i could take out a loan and buy a house in the u.s...;)
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I've seen Chobahni (sp?) up here. It isn't anything to write home about. Also, I find a lot of the yogurts down there that we can't get are full of junk.
    They have WAY more Newman's Own salad dressings down there, including more light kinds
    Pb2 is a MUST, and soooo hard to find up here.
    Different kinds of diet pop and crystal light. OH! They have a half lemonade half iced tea that is made by Arizona and is only 50cals per serving... has a very famous Golfer's name on it... can't think of his name atm. (if you drink things other than water)... ARNOLD PALMER! just thought of it :D
    They have way more WW foods, which might be useful if you are looking for protion control
    Pepperidge Farms extra thin bread is also lovely.

is this sad? I have ALWAYS loved going to grocery stores when I head to the states, from the time I was a small child...
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I love Fage yogurt
  • soleilxo
    Options
    I've seen Chobahni (sp?) up here. It isn't anything to write home about. Also, I find a lot of the yogurts down there that we can't get are full of junk.
    They have WAY more Newman's Own salad dressings down there, including more light kinds
    Pb2 is a MUST, and soooo hard to find up here.
    Different kinds of diet pop and crystal light. OH! They have a half lemonade half iced tea that is made by Arizona and is only 50cals per serving... has a very famous Golfer's name on it... can't think of his name atm. (if you drink things other than water)... ARNOLD PALMER! just thought of it :D
    They have way more WW foods, which might be useful if you are looking for protion control
    Pepperidge Farms extra thin bread is also lovely.

is this sad? I have ALWAYS loved going to grocery stores when I head to the states, from the time I was a small child...

haha not sad :| i could walk around a grocery store for a day like its a museum even in canada lol! but definitely chobani and pb2 is on my list, never tried those two (and chobani i cant find anywhere) :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I live on the border between the two (or within 2 hours of it). There is nothing exciting in US. The good food is up north. We don't have ketchup or all dressed chips, nor Aero bars or my favorite Coffee Crisps. Realize those aren't healthy but they are the only reason I go to Winnipeg. :-)

Foods are very similar at least with what I have seen up in the Peg when I go.