How fast am I walking?

Options
Walking pace is pretty easy to measure when you're on a treadmill, but not when you're walking around your complex in flats.
How do I know how fast I was going so I can log it?

Replies

• StevenDweeb
    StevenDweeb Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use EndoMondo to track my walks/bikes/hikes etc. It requires a smartphone with GPS enabled
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yep, phone apps work great... RunKeeper, Nike+, MapMyRun, etc.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I use Runmeter, an iPhone app, works great.
  • lanimcl
    lanimcl Posts: 2
    Options
    I use Runkeeper (Iphone app) that tracks how fast I'm going. If there isn't a good signal it can be inaccurate. If I know the distance I'm walking I can figure out my pace overall as long as remember how long it took me. You can also figure out your total mileage by going online to Google maps and mapping the distance. That and the time it took you to walk it will give you your pace. In general, I try to keep the 20 minutes to walk 1 mile = 3 miles an hour. 15 minutes to walk one mile = 4 miles an hour math in my head.
  • raven3lise
    raven3lise Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have the app, but now there's another problem
    what I did today.
    I found out that the route around my complex is about half a mile. I did two laps.
    According to Google Maps, I should have walked that in 20 minutes. I did it in 30.
    OH MY GOD I'M A GENIUS
    If I did one mile walking in thirty minutes, then I was going--
    I was going 2mph?
    Wow forget that, I'll wear sneakers and sweats tomorrow, not jeans and flats.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have the app, but now there's another problem
    what I did today.
    I found out that the route around my complex is about half a mile. I did two laps.
    According to Google Maps, I should have walked that in 20 minutes. I did it in 30.
    OH MY GOD I'M A GENIUS
    If I did one mile walking in thirty minutes, then I was going--
    I was going 2mph?
    Wow forget that, I'll wear sneakers and sweats tomorrow, not jeans and flats.

What's important is that you did it rather than sit down somewhere and do nothing. Don't worry about speed... worry about moving, your body will move faster as conditioning and fitness improves.

And yes, your math is correct.
  • DavidCHobby
    Options
    High school track. Inside lane. Stopwatch. Or regular watch. Walk a mile (four laps) to get a good average. Better yet, count your steps or use a pedometer or FitBit.

Easy-peasy. And now I know my walking speed is 3.48MPH and my stride length is 27.86 inches.