ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

Options
I am SOOOOO FRIGGIN' MAD!! I just need a minute to SCREAM!!

(I KNOW you guys on MFP are going to support me and tell me not to feel bad ... and I would normally appreciate that ... just not tonight!!)

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I am the most competitive person I have ever known. I hate to lose ... basketball, football, bowling, tiddly winks ... etc!! i HATE to lose!! HATE!!

Tonight, I started week 4 of C25K ... I was STRUGGLING from the BEGINNING!! The first 3 minute span almost KILLED me!! But I struggled through it, the 90 second walk, and I barely made it through the first 5 minute run, but I did make it!! Then I made it through the 2.5 minute walk and the second 3 minute run ... THEN the last 5 minute run!!

I tried so hard ... but i FAILED ... yes, no matter how you look at it, I failed!! and I am SO FRIGGIN' PISSED!! i could only make it through 1 minute ... then I walked for 2 minutes, and then I ran the last 2!! I FRIGGIN' FAILED!! I am NOT quiting ... i am NOT giving up ... I will get back out there on Friday ... but for now ... i am FRIGGIN' PISSED AS HELL!!

I'm sorry MFP ... I needed that ...

Replies

• Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You tried it and that's what counts! I'm trying to do a 5k, I've been jogging for 2 months now and I'm not good....but I'm getting better every week and so will you!!!

Don't be so hard on yourself my friend, you'll get there!!! It takes time.
  • lisaekewish
    lisaekewish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Doesn't that just suck.

I do a different sort of running training... I walk 5 mins/run 5 mins, walk 4 mins/run 4 mins...3/3, 2/2, 1/1.

I SWEAR, I can do the 5/5, 4/4 walk 3...and then I can NOT for the love of anything...run 3. So I walk it...then I'm back on track to the 2/2 and 1/1.

It has become a stupid block.

So...I understand your frustration.
    All we can do is put our shoes back on and do it again.
    Hang in there.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You didn't fail. You just didn't succeed YET.

One thing that used to frustrate me about working out was that once in a while I'd just have a dud of a workout. I'd show up and be tired and sluggish from the get-go, and after I warmed up, I would still feel like crap. It happens to everyone. Now, when I have an "off" workout, I just note it and slog through the best I can and leave it behind.

I'll bet you kill it the next time you run!
  • banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    so get mad then try again...then get mad and try again and then you will do it, and ...need to find something else to get mad at:wink:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    A good question you should be asking yourself is why did you fail? Did you have enough carbs to power through? Were you sleep deprived or stressed out or otherwise already exhausted? Were you properly hydrated? Had you taken (or not) any medications in the last 24-48 hours? What time of day did you do your run? Did you warm up and stretch first?

Failure is information. Answer these questions, then adjust your strategy and try again. If you fail again, ask more questions, adjust and try again. Repeat.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    IMHO failure is not even trying. Everyday that you do something you are succeeding at becoming a healthier version of you.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Failure is not trying. And running is HARD! I'm on week 8 of C25K and I am not a runner. It can be done but trust me when I tell you it is HARD. I figure any day I'm out there running (yeah yeah Jogging) is a success because I could be sitting my wide rump on the couch!

Are you trying to run too fast? Or too far? I make it through each day but I don't worry about my speed or distance right now. Right now I just focus on maintaining a steady pace and keeping my breathing under control. And not dying while doing it. That's what works for me, might be completely different for you.
  • smoore0411
    smoore0411 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I won't say don't beat yourself up because I am the same way. If you miss your goal and your getting mad about it, you're on the right track! Here's what I will tell you - at some point it will just click and you'll hit your 5k and be suprised because you want to keep going.
  • mlh156
    mlh156 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am the most competitive person I have ever known. I hate to lose ... basketball, football, bowling, tiddly winks ... etc!! i HATE to lose!! HATE!!

No offense and maybe it's just me, but I think I'd be working on that.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Some days things just work better than others. You could go out and nail it on the very next try. Just keep trying - awesome!
  • jo_dibs
    jo_dibs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Keep your chin up! Ask any experienced runner and they will tell you they have bad days. Not every run is going to be a great run. Some days your body and/or mind aren't feeling it. Just try again. You'll be successful if you put the work in. Regardless of the bad days.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You didn't fail. You just didn't succeed YET.

One thing that used to frustrate me about working out was that once in a while I'd just have a dud of a workout. I'd show up and be tired and sluggish from the get-go, and after I warmed up, I would still feel like crap. It happens to everyone. Now, when I have an "off" workout, I just note it and slog through the best I can and leave it behind.

I'll bet you kill it the next time you run!

THIS!

If you would die if you hadn't done it, you would have done it. But you're not going to die if you don't get it today. You have time to succeed. Give yourself permission to be human and need to learn to do it.
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You weren't sitting on the couch, you did not fail ! I have to tell myself every day, quitting is not an option if I want to change, if I can't run, I walk....most days I am still walking, other days I am able to run and feel good, but it's never the same for me. Running is hard work, but it does get easier, you can't fail if you never give up. :)
  • mrsmark2010
    Options
    I know it sucks big time, but you will get back out there and you will kill it. Take your frustrations out on your next workout. Make sure to get plenty of food, water and sleep before hand.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Wait, what.... where did you fail? Because you didn't get the time they said you should? What I see in what you did was a success, so far.... You went out there and did the best you could... there could have been any type of block, physical or mental.... the only failure I would consider is if you don't go out tomorrow (or whenever your next day is for you to go out) and try again.

I know you're venting because you need to get it out, but I have to say: Keep going out and trying and if tomorrow you get one step or one second or one minute farther than you did today, then you have succeeded!
  • johnsont963
    Options
    You didn't fail. You showed up. You tried. Just showing up is a victory! You are human and no human is perfect. Look at what you DID and forget everything else.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    It is so very common and encouraged for people to repeat weeks in C25K, if neccessary! It is hard! But, you only fail when you quit.

If I can graduate, anyone can!!

Go get it.
  • MamaWalkingBear
    MamaWalkingBear Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    “Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”
    ― Winston Churchill

So your are on your way!!! And you have the enthusiasm!!! AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!

Thanks for the scream!! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running is one of those sports where even the best of the best have bad days...........after a while you learn to accept it as you're only competing with yourself.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It's a big jump in intensity. You'll get it next time.