Chicken Pot Pie...

Options
How terrible (nutritionally) is homemade chicken pot pie? Going to a relatives house for dinner tonight and just found out that's what she's making. I have never had it before, so I'm not even sure what to expect as far as taste or nutrition! I offered to bring a salad, but haven't heard back from her if she'd like me to bring something else instead. Anyone know about the pot pie? Obviously, it depends upon how she makes it since I'm sure everyone makes it a little bit differently, just figured I see what you all think... Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I would say unless she consciously makes it "healthy" it more than likely will be pretty high in fat and calories. Considering it has a pastry top (Sometimes bottom, too) and a gravy sauce..
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    There are a few "Homemade" versions in the database to give you some idea. It is definitely "comfort food", often served with mashed potatoes and gravy. A garden salad should go nicely with it; that's what I usually have.
  • romneks
    romneks Posts: 12
    Options
    Ask for the recipe and check the ingredients. I use soup and vegetables, chicken breasts, and milk. That's really not that high in calories. The most would be the pastry...you can avoid that! Good luck!
  • shanli
    shanli Posts: 19
    Options
    Pot pie is pretty tasty, especially if it's homemade. Just be sure to use portion control. If you absolutely love it and have to have some more, then skip dessert. Usually it's made with veggies and some kind of meat. The calories, fat and carbs start to add up when crust and gravy are thrown in the mix(Which is 99% of the time). You could always casually ask her like, "Ooo I've never had homemade potpie before! What's in it?" and then you could get the general Idea...
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm betting it will be high - I'd take a salad, and take a "take home" containor with you! Eat an apple on the way there (or three!) and just eat a small portion. Make sure you tell her it's devine and so good and you would love to take some home with you so you can enjoy it again tomorrow! Look like you enjoy eating it and I'm sure you won't hurt her feelings!

That's how I deal with my "WHAT! Your SKINNY! You need to EAT THIS" family members (and yeah - I'm obese wth?)
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I actually am not a big crust person, so I probably will just eat the "insides" anyhow. The cook is pregnant, so I certainly don't want to offend her by not eating a lot! :laugh: I am going for a run today, so I will have about 1,000 calories left by the time I head there for dinner, so I should be ok. I looked up chicken pot pie without crust in the database, and it's between 100 to 200 calories per cup, which isn't bad. I think I'll bring a salad and then try to be very good during dessert. I lost 3 pounds this past week and I don't want to ruin that! Thanks again for the comments :flowerforyou:
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    hi I would bring the salad along, also could you tell her your trying to loose a few pounds and are writing everything you eat down, 90% of women are usually dieting, and tell her your want to be in that bikini by summer, im sure she will be glad to tell you over the phone, if thats not an option, just eat the inner part, no crust and as little of the gravy as possible. Good luck, the main thing is to enjoy yourself so just do the best you can.