Raspberry Ketones/green coffee extract?

Options
Has anyone on here tried raspberry ketones? I think they are making me retain water even tho I am drinking lots of water all day. I feel bloated and the scale has gone up a pound and a half rather than down. I'm SO GLAD I didn't actually buy the bottle I have. It was thankfully given to me as a sample. PHEW!

What about green coffee extract? anyone tried?

Replies

• Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    There are no magic pills.

Count yourself fortunate you didn't pay for them, chalk it up to experience, and move along.
  • ceawench
    ceawench Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I tried the green coffee extract, and not only did it not work but made me very sick....there is no miracle pill or supplement out there if there was there wouldn't be any obesity in the world. I was looking for the magic soulation too and now know that it's still and always will be calories in versus calories burned :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I drink Nescafe green coffee. I love it & would now not drink any other coffee. More green in it that green tea & I don't have the need for sugar in it.... something that other coffee made it hard to get into.
  • mindfulone
    mindfulone Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I bpught a bottle a few weeks ago and took almost half the bottle but have not seen any changes with my weight and i bought a second bottle when it looked like I was running low so here I am with one bottle down and not a solid result to these pills I was told by someone who had taken the pills before and took the word of them that results would be seen so........ you are better off than I am...:huh:
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    i like raspberry tarts!
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i have tried drinking green tea at night, and i am not sure if its doing anything with weight loss, but it makes me sleepy and relaxed! my two year old drinks 2 glasses a day of it, and i highly recommend it. as for the pills, there is not quick fix, and the only pills i recommend are vitamins that your doctor recommends. even vitamins can be abused if not used properly. i would suggest a good BCOMPLEX vitamin to help boost energy. :) and the tea at night to make you sleepy of course
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_ketone

The whole raspberry ketones craze has been built on some very flimsy evidence. Above is the Wikipedia entry on it, with links to scientific studies to back it up. Here is the important bit, for those of you thinking of blowing money on this stuff:

"When given to mice in very high doses (up to 2% of body weight), raspberry ketone has been shown to prevent high-fat-diet-induced elevations in body weight.[8] However, no effects on body weight were observed with doses up to 200 times greater than the estimated intake in humans.[9] The high dose effect is reported to stem from the alteration of lipid metabolism, increasing norepinephrine-induced lipolysis. Although products containing this compound are marketed for weight loss, there is no clinical evidence for this effect in humans."

Essentially, the dosage for those pills on the market is a teeny, tiny fraction of what may actually work even slightly in humans. If at all. So far we just know for sure that it worked a bit in mice, in a very high dosage. 2% of their body weight. How much is 2% of your body weight? How many bottles of these pills would it take to make up that several-pound dosage?

A lot of weight loss pills, if they work at all, probably make so little difference that they're not worth the money. If you eat 100 calories less a day, do a few minutes more on your workouts, I'm sure you will surpass any results you'd get from them... and spare your wallet a lot of pain.

I haven't looked into green coffee extract, but I have no doubt that it ranks about the same on my Snake Oilometer.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Just throw all that crapola in the trashcan. 99% of supplements are garbage. Save your money for healthy food and new clothes when you reach your goal the old-fashioned way!! :drinker:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Maybe just eat actual raspberries and drink actual green coffee? I like the Starbuck's Refreshers made with green coffee, they are yummy!
  • Gina33907
    Gina33907 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, Dr Oz gave recommendations for both the Rasberry Ketones and the Green Coffee Beans, so I am sure tons of people flocked out to buy them. I work at in a health food store and I dont know of a single person who had any success with the Rasberry Ketones. The Green Coffee Beans, all though they sound promising, are only getting mixed reviews from the people that I have talked to who have tried them. I tried them before starting MFP and felt no adverse affects, but also lost no weight on them.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well thanks everyone for your input. Yes, the only reason I tried them is because Dr OZ recommended them but he probbaly gets some cash to say something positive. As I said- I think the raspberry ketones are making me retain water therefore I stopped taking them. The pamphlet that came with it gave an 800 calorie a day diet and a 1200 calorie a day diet to follow along with drinking gobs and gobs of water.......To me, if you follow an 800 calorie a day diet who needs a supplement?? LOL

THANK GOODNESS the store gave me a bottle as a free sample (that never happens!). I would have been really irritated if I'd spent the $32 they cost.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Well thanks everyone for your input. Yes, the only reason I tried them is because Dr OZ recommended them but he probbaly gets some cash to say something positive. As I said- I think the raspberry ketones are making me retain water therefore I stopped taking them. The pamphlet that came with it gave an 800 calorie a day diet and a 1200 calorie a day diet to follow along with drinking gobs and gobs of water.......To me, if you follow an 800 calorie a day diet who needs a supplement?? LOL

THANK GOODNESS the store gave me a bottle as a free sample (that never happens!). I would have been really irritated if I'd spent the $32 they cost.

I think almost everyone who's tried to lose weight has tried at least ONE worthless supplement. At least you didn't hurt yourself with them, and you learned not to listen to Dr. Oz! He's peddling a different product every single day! :angry: It's very disappointing to me because I used to really like him. Best wishes to you!!