When you reach your goal why do you need any more rewards?

Options
I never think about that moment when I reach my goal. This is because I won't be satisfied when I reach that first goal, rather I prefer to set the next one and work on achieving that one and so on, and so forth. See, I figure that if I settle for reaching my initial goal, the rest of my life will be wasted with just living day to day. If I decide to continually set a new goal, however, I will continue to improve myself indefinitely! Therefore, here are the "rewards" that I will receive for reaching my first goal...

* 15 - 20 healthy years (or more) added to my life!
* Tons of energy that I didn't have before!
* No daily medications for cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.!
* A host of new and delicious foods that taste awesome and are much healthier than what I used to eat!
* New activities that I could never enjoy before - especially running!
* Lower medical bills!
* An awesome group of new friends that have supported and encouraged me along the way! My MFP friends ROCK!

I don't need to buy a new Harley or take a vacation to Hawaii to reward myself for being healthier, and doing what I should have done my entire life.

So these are all of the "rewards" that I could ask for...what about you?

Replies

• rudy7020
    rudy7020 Posts: 62
    Options
    I completely agree, getting healthy and keeping the weight off is reward enough. Once I the weight, keeping it off is my next goal.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Our body is the temple we should have been worshiping all along.... well said.
  • Bearman45
    Options
    Amen to that!

Add to that list the opportunity to set a new goal. I know you mentioned it, "and so on and so forth", but goal setting can be a fun and challenging reward in itself. And you don't "get" to do it until the last one has been reached.

Two of my biggest rewards are being able to keep up with my daughter to enjoy all sorts of new things with her, and seeing my wife (and daughter) begin to embrace a healthier lifestyle on their own. Knowing that my girl will have the opportunity to avoid some of my own health and quality of life issues as she grows older is priceless.

Then there is the daily reward of feeling more confident as I go about my day. Or as fellow MFP'er Yoovie likes to say, "feeling shiny in my awesomeness".

For anyone who has ever felt shiny, you know exactly what she means!

Feeling healthy is a joyful thing.

Now what was it that we were talking about???
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    ^^^Like I said...my MFP Friends ROCK! :drinker:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I don't think that I "need" a reward, the increased health and confidence are rewards of their own.

But it does feel nice to give myself that pat on the back for sticking to the plan, and crossing the finish line. It was difficult to resist the temptation to quit along the way, and I did it!

My reward was to have my tattoo redone. My stretch marks had ruined it, and it was a visual reminder that my fat has damaged my body. Now, it has been covered up, and when I see it, it now reminds me of how much I have accomplished, and gives me a sense of satisfaction. I'm proud to see it.

That sense of satisfaction is what helps me keep striving to meet my next goal. By rewarding myself, I am setting myself up for (even more) success.
  • Bearman45
    Options
    LuckyLeprechaun - nice perspective. I get it.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Great job LuckyLeprechaun! Sticking to the plan is the hard part, and you succeeded! Nothing wrong with a little pat on the back after a big accomplishment, and freshening up the tat is a great idea! :smile:

I'm just saying that personally, I won't dangle the carrot out there just to make sure I will reach my next goal. Rewarding myself for accomplishments is part of the reason that I got here in the first place after all... :ohwell:
  • Lakeswoman
    Lakeswoman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Positive minded goal setting is the answer to almost anything. Attaining those goals,,big and small are my rewards.
    I LOVE the idea of making the remaining years of my life as good as I can. The only way I can make that happen is by setting goals, working toward them and achieving them.

My parents, Grands, Great-Grands and several generations before them, lived very long fairly healthy lives. I hope I received a few of those genes. If not, working to make "old age" better can be done now. Every day I remember them and they keep me going. My kids are all healthy and fit. They are my rocks.

So my goals have been to lose weight, get fit, keep healthy, live long and come to the end sliding sideways.
    It's a great ride.

I have moved a lot,,from one country to another and one state to several others. A welcoming new-comers group I encountered on one of those moves has a great motto, "There are no strangers in this world, only friends we have yet to meet." I've met some awesome people, and MFP has added even more!
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    I agree but my goal will be new clothes because none of them will fit anymore so its a reward but I do need it
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Great job LuckyLeprechaun! Sticking to the plan is the hard part, and you succeeded! Nothing wrong with a little pat on the back after a big accomplishment, and freshening up the tat is a great idea! :smile:

I'm just saying that personally, I won't dangle the carrot out there just to make sure I will reach my next goal. Rewarding myself for accomplishments is part of the reason that I got here in the first place after all... :ohwell:

Thanks! :bigsmile:

That's why I make sure not to ever choose food rewards. That's definitely counterproductive!
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think the desire for a tangible reward is just that... it's tangible. because i'm not on blood pressure or cholesterol meds right now, i can't really SEE the reward of never getting on them because they just weren't there in the first place. if i were on them or something else and then i got off of those meds and therefore saved money every month, that might be different. but sometimes for me having an abstract reward like looking better... it just doesn't have the same satisfaction if i don't know what exactly i'll look like when i'm looking "better." did that make sense? while you're in the journey, just having something tangible to look forward to will keep you motivated when you might not be seeing significant changes in your body but in the end you gain all those other rewards as well.... did that all make sense?
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    well said!
  • Epetrovitch
    Epetrovitch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I started on the program I had a weight goal and I was solely focused on attaining that weight. Along the way things changed. First there were small changes such as dropping a pants size. I found myself setting smaller attainable goals such as getting to the next lower size. Then the small goals acheived led to other changes like being able to come off all my diabetes and blood pressure meds. I started to go from walking to jogging. I pushed myself to run. I set longer distances to run. I now push myself to improve my running times. My new goal is to run a half marathon in the spring. I started lifting weights again and now set higher lift goals and reps. All that said, I no longer focus on a single weight goal. My focus has shifted to continually improving myself. The weight goal signifies an end but I now realize there is no end until I depart the planet. I want to keep pushing myself to improve everyday because I feel better, look better and can do things I have not been able to do in years! Wisebadger has been one of many supportive MFP friends that have encouraged me along and to him and all my friends I say Thank you!!!!