considering hiding the scale

Options
so i've recently become obsessed with weighing in. i'm back at my prior weight before i got pregnant and i've got about 25 pounds more id like to lose. this is when it really starts to get challenging for me. my numbers will hardly budge and yes i see a difference in my body and i know i shouldn't get so tied up with what the scale says, but i do!

so anyways i was thinking of hiding my scale for two months, keeping up with eating well and working out [im at the gym 6 days a week for about an hour a day] and hoping to at least see a difference of a pants size in those two months.

[i know my ticker says otherwise on my goals but i readjust that all the time and have lost 81 pounds since july 2009 when i had my son]

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    If you think that the scale will discourage you, then you should hide it! Do what works for you! Congrats on the 81 pounds...that is amazing!
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Agreed. Hide it! I get discouraged when I weigh in too many times and it doesn't move or it moves the OTHER way I don't want it to. That's why I weight myself one day a week (Fridays).
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you think that the scale will discourage you, then you should hide it! Do what works for you! Congrats on the 81 pounds...that is amazing!

Yep. What she said. :wink:
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    Options
    Def hide it. Because u can usually see a diff in ur clothes and thats what counts not the numbers. But loosing 81pounds thats great!!!Keep it up girl!!
  • veganmommy04
    Options
    i feel your pain! it's the same for me. i'm working really hard and the scale doesn't seem to acknowledge that. i can see a difference in my body, and so can other people. as a matter of fact i went to the dr yesterday and they hadn't seen me in over a year and the rn was like wow you look great! you look so thin too! and we weighed me and i complained about the number and she was like, don't worry about the scale your healthy and look great. she said she thinks i should stay the way i am now thats how good she thinks i look. but even though that was great to hear, in my mind until that scale budges i'm not gonna be happy. so i feel you! good luck w hiding the scale if you decide to do it. keep me posted! oh and congrats on the 80 something you've already lost!
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would have to have someone else hide it...because it really isn't hiding if I know where it is and it would be too tempting to get it back out. But I know I am emotionally driven by the numbers, good or bad! Congrats on the 81 pound loss...that is awesome!!!
  • mamjasmac
    Options
    My suggestion is to put is somewhere where you have to go out of your way to get on it. I used to keep mine in the basement. Then make a promise to yourself to only get on it once a week...the same day every week. There have been studies that show that people who don't weigh on a regular basis either weekly or bi-weekly actually end up gaining weight. Whatever you are doing is working for you. congratulaions!
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    I would have to have someone else hide it...because it really isn't hiding if I know where it is and it would be too tempting to get it back out. But I know I am emotionally driven by the numbers, good or bad! Congrats on the 81 pound loss...that is awesome!!!

haha by hiding it i really meant dropping it off at my mothers house or something! i need it gone!!
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    I'm considering trying to WEIGH MY CAR WITH IT! :laugh: :laugh:

THAT SHOULD TEACH IT TO MESS WITH MY HEAD!

DAMN THING BETTER LEARN THAT WHEN I SAY DOWN! I WANT IT TO GO DOWN! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

DAMN THING BETTER LEARN THAT WHEN I SAY DOWN! I WANT IT TO GO DOWN! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Let us know how much your car "weighs". :wink:
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Maybe my threat to weigh my car with my scale did some good!. :laugh:

The scale FINALLY decided it had better shape up before it was turned into a pancake. :bigsmile:

It said I weighed 180.0 this morning! Down 2 lbs from last week! :drinker:

Maybe that's what it takes to get the thing to pay attention! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every week day (the scale is at work!) -but I just follow a five day average. Right now the five day average is a flat line :angry: but I'm hoping that is just because I have started to add exercise and I'm building muscle. I'll only be able to believe that for another week then I'll be pretty cranky!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!

That is all. :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

:happy: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • krg918
    krg918 Posts: 36
    Options
    Because i cant stand to disappoint other people, i dont want my trainer to see that i have gained weight or stayed the same from the previous week. I weigh @ home a couple of days before to see where i stand. If my weight is close to where I was @ the gym the week before( a pound or 2 lighter),I work a little harder on diet and exercise for the next couple of days. Then when i weigh with him, we are both pleasantly suprised by the amount gone.

If you dont use a trainer or gym, give your scale to a friend or family member or a coworker and weigh in with them weekly. That holds you accountable because you wouldnt want them to see that the numbers havent changed. And even if the numbers dont change, keep going with how your clothes feel!!!!
  • aleefula
    Options
    i feel you, i too am obsessed with the scale, so i hid it in a drawer, but took it out again today, not too bad as it said ive lost 2 pound, but i am really going to put it away and weight myself at the end of the week, anyhow, the thing is i went shopping today and even though the scale says i only lost two pounds i tried on clothes and could not believe i am already a size 12 (UK)! yipee! just hide it somewhere and forget it same as you would do with your diet, control! good luck and congrats on your huge amount of weight loss, gives us all hope! Annie:smile: