Salad and Dressings

Options
I love salads with ranch dressing. I get stuck in a rut and eat the same thing all the time. What do you like to put in your salad and what other dressing can you recommend that is healthier than ranch?

Replies

• rayraygbs
    Options
    i do half and half lettuce/spinach mix. hardboiled egg, chicken, little cheese, and some salad toppins for crunch. i love ranch, so i found a yogurt dressing that is only 45 cal per serving
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love ranch too. Try the Bolthouse yogurt ranch. 45 calories per 2 tablespoons and you cannot tell the difference! It is delicious!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I know that this isn't typically a salad dressing - but something to mix it up - I take a Tbsp of Hummus. Water it down with a Tbsp of water, add some black pepper and some extra garlic powder - toss with your salad. I think it taste similar to a ceasar salad.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i make my own salad dressings -

2 teaspoons soy sauce (I use low salt)
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons asian sesame oil
    1-4 cup veggie oil (I use canola b/c thats what we have)
    1/2 teaspoon sugar (I use honey - keeps everything together better and tasty!)

And depending on what I have on hand, I will add red pepper flakes, garlic and pieces of ginger.

I used to also make a dressing wtih walnut oil, olive oil, and orange juice and curry powder.

1/4 c walnut oil
    1/4 c olive oil
    1/2 c good orange juice.
    curry powder to taste. could add honey too. which helps bind all the ingredients and is a bit of athickener.
    You want the oil / juice ratios 1:1.

Kens honey dijon is good too. there is a light version available, but it can be hard to find.

usually spring greens, roasted nuts, craisins and chicken. that's generally my go to salad.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I eat salad for lunch and dinner and though I love it I get bored. My standard veges are carrot, capsicum, lettuce or red cabbage or baby spinach, mushrooms. To add some excitement I also use in seasons fruit/veges nectarine, courgette, seeds/nuts, kumara (sweet potato), and sprouts. The main thing is to get as many colours as possible to make it look really appetising. I have the same dressing every day too and I thought about changing it but I figured what's the point in buying something that's full of additives etc, so I stick with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I did try coconut oil but it set hard - globs of white fat don't look very appealing.
  • coffeebrown5
    coffeebrown5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of ranch dressing as well.I usually will add some sort meat to my salad along with lettuce, tomatoes, eggs, green peppers, carrots, raisins, cheese(very little). But my sister add a little everything in theres like the spinach and all the health stuff..beets also.
  • morgano7
    morgano7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been topping my salads with red wine vinegar. Pompeian brand makes a delicious pomegranate infused red wine vinegar that is only 2 calories for a tablespoon sized serving!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I like to put on an ounce of goat cheese for variety.

I use two tablespoons of Olive oil and one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.