Healthy Ideas to pack for my lunch!

Hello I am Carli and I am 15 years of age. September 4th I start 10th grade. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on meals to pack for when I bring my lunch. Anything from a snack to drink to anything will be helpful, Thank you !! :smile:

Replies

• rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    For snacks you could take fruit, veggies, cheese, or yogurt. Lunches are tougher but salads, pasta with lots of veggies, wraps, chicken/veggies....do you have access to a microwave at school?
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    if you get an insulated bag and throw a freezer pack in it, it is really easy to do salads (or tuna salad to put on bread at lunchtime so it doesn't get soggy). Other easy snack ideas -- peanut butter with apple slices or wheat crackers, veggies with salsa, hard boiled eggs, homemade trail mix (almonds, raisins or craisins, a little dark chocolate if you need it!), string cheese (I have been eating so much of this just because it is quick and portable!), fruit.
  • debkc76
    debkc76 Posts: 7
    My new favorite lunch is to let 3/4 cup of frozen berry blend(I use bluberries, blackberries, and raspberries) thaw and then put it over 3 cups of spinach with an 1/8 cup of almonds. This is a large salad so you could even make it smaller, but it is only 171 calories with the brands I use.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Tuna is usually pretty good and you can vary it quite a bit. Add some spinach to it for some extra veggie, maybe skip the mayo even. I use veggie cheese because I'm watching my cholesterol and it tastes GREAT. Could even do it on a wrap to watch your carbs.

Salad's are always a good option. Avoid heavy dressings like ranch though or drowning it period in dressing. I'm trying a spinach/blueberry salad tomorrow for a between thing.

Could do some light pasta's. Try to go for a whole grain noodle, red sauces rather than cream base.

Great snacks are things like hummus with some snap peas, or carrots, or celery. Apple pieces, and I hear cheese on apples is surprisingly delicious. Laughing cow makes these great little wedges that are low cal and spread easily. Berries are great and sweet, and they're lower in sugar compared to other fruits. Could also make a fruit salad!

Drink water! Lots and lots of water! Watch your portions, and if you are not hungry, don't eat. Listen to your body when you're eating. Get to that comfort point and let it go. If you're able to eat through out the day that's better, 5 small meals will keep your metabolism high.

Also, maybe try out for a sports team to keep yourself active. The more you're active the better! Good for you for working on this now rather than waiting! I tried at your age, but I gave up. Don't give up!
  • Thank you for the ideas (: !
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Granola bars (look for low sugar, high protein ones.)
    JuicyJuice makes delicious reduced sugar juice boxes that I (and my family) absolutely love! Favorite flavor is the green apple, seriously tastes just like a Granny Smith - and a good source of potassium.
    Bananas.
    Grapes.
    Dry cereal or healthy trail mix you make yourself.
    Dean's Tru Moo low fat chocolate milk = awesome.
    Roasted chicken breast on a sandwich with some lettuce, tomato, and plain Greek yogurt with some spices for dressing. Add in some avocado too, it's awesome.
    Make a protein shake beforehand and take it with
    Carrots and peanut butter or celery and peanut butter
    Yogurt and granola
    Tossed salad with light dressing