Migraines/IBS + Life Style Change = Feeling Better

Options
Hi All,

I have been suffering from menstrual migraines all my life, but recently they became everyday migraines. So I went to the nutritionist who gave me a few pointers saying I needed to decrease my salt intake, but increase protein, and can't eat certain foods. So, I'm a few days into it and feel like I am a lost cause. I thought I had pretty decent before, but realized BOY was I wrong. A typical breakfast would be special K redberry cereal, lactaid 2% milk, and 10oz bottle of OJ or cranberry juice. Lunch varied because sometimes it would be leftovers, other days it would be grilled chicken on salad that I made at home, with Italian dressing. The salad would contain mixed greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell pepper and celery. Dinner varied, tried to stay away from fried foods and pork, but sometimes it was a losing battle because of the kids/husband. I would drink about 3 bottles of water a day, and other things, maybe kool-aid, glass of wine, etc. Since I started calculating things on my fitness pal, I realize I have it all wrong! I need some breakfast, lunch and dinner options…..and boy do I need some motivation to get back in the gym. I suffer from migraines and IBS like symptoms and stomach pains that stop me from doing certain things like a regular exercise regimen. I refuse to let these conditions and food control me, but goodness, I want to see my kids grow up and I want to be around to play with my grandkids, heck great grandkids would be nice too…

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• icedragon009
    Options
    Hi there,

IBS is a pain and it's not nice (I'm having an IBS day or actually 2).
    I was told this is what I had only about 2 months ago after sufferring for a year with no idea and doctors not really caring.
    I was sent to a dietrian and after some tests and food eliminations we came to an answer, Dairy, too much bread/gluten, Fructose...
    now i know it sounds bad (and it was daughting to me who loves food...and her chocolate) but really it isn't too bad.
    What came to my attention was what is called FODMAP's now these are sugars in food that some tummys/bowels just don't like (like lactose). I am on what is called a low FodMap diet this doesn't mean I can't eat everything or cant eat gluten it means I shouldnt eat alot of these things (and we all know that slips)
    But i can honestly say that i went from feeling bloasted, gas, cramps, other things to being near symtom free in 2 weeks (now that's not to say it works for everyone).
    I would look this up on google have a read about it etc. But to be reasponcible i must tell you that it is a specilized part of nutritian and you should consult a docotr or dietrian before taking on FODMAP diet (this is for your health and can be difficult diet to deal with going first into it)

I would say the main things are:
    Do you know what triggers it (IBS)?
    If so have you tried to cut down on these or get rid of them? If not maybe try for 2 weeks, see what happens
    Look into FODMAP (as I said it not for everyone, but something to look into)
    If don't know trigger, start looking for it (if havent already)
    Talk to chemist about IBS- what you can take if you have a bout of it

I have found that getting active and at the gym again has helped a little as well (might be because releases stress :) )

You may find sorting IBS may help with your mirgrains

Hope this might help
  • amanghram
    Options
    Thanks so much Icedragon009, the information you provide is helpful. I will look up the diet you mentioned to see if it's right for me. I come to realize that it's not about dieting, it's about making a life style change. I have my mind prepared to make this change.
  • dkp4469
    dkp4469 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have botah so thank you!!!!!!!!!! will look up immediatley . Also my son has severe lactose intolerance but I wonder if the fodmap is also a part of what gets him? thanks for info. Also please any one out there, that has to take steroids alot .... I have lupus, rhuematoid arthritis, epilepsy, its so hard to lose taking steroids alot so if any one has any advice , i would love to hear it. thanks so much.