1230 calories a day. What??

Options
Hi mfp friends,

I'm a 5"8 35 year old woman who (currently) weighs 230 lbs. When I started on mfp three months ago (at 250 lbs) I was allowed to have 1350 calories a day. When I lost 13 lbs. the system told me to re-input my numbers to get a new calorie count. It dropped to 1230 calories a day. Can this be right? It seems too low! What is going to happen in another ten pounds? Will I have to start eating under 1200 calories a day to continue losing weight? Is that even healthy?

I finally feel like I have a chance of reaching and then maintaining my goal weight. I have never felt this way before. Ever. I don't want an unrealistic/incorrect calorie goal to get in my way of success.

Please help!
:ohwell:

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If you are still losing currently I would leave your calories where they are (just adjust them under the custom settings)
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    That seems too low for your stats, try this calculator instead. I'm set at 1500 plus eating my exercise calories back (avg. 400) and I'm pretty small 5'2 120

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've had to go up from My Fitness Pal recommendations as well. Just stick to what you've been doing. Keep your weigh-ins. Anyway, MFP will never recommend less than 1200 calories.
  • Dandawa
    Dandawa Posts: 97
    Options
    Try changing ur activity level. im.39 female 5 "6 n weigh 214 i get 1530. I m active 5 days week
  • kimmizm
    kimmizm Posts: 2
    Options
    Move more...eat a little more. :)
  • Brotherdeath76
    Options
    When I started on his journey i weighed 289lbs. I am currently at 203 since January. My doctor recomended me eating three meals a day of 30 carbs. Then three snacks of 15 carbs. I was told to not worrie about calories and control these first. I dropped 45 lbs doing nothing else. Doctor also said make sure you are full and don't just quit eating things but replace them. Sugar free jello has 0 carbs and so had no limit. WHip cream has 2 carbs and tops it well. I could eat myself stupid and stay within the rules. There are also low carb ice creams and many other foods. I used dlife.com to find foods i could eat and it impowered me. I know count calories and watch my protien and fat, but that was after I lost more than half my weight learning control of my body and changing my eating habbits.
  • Dandawa
    Dandawa Posts: 97
    Options
    Or decrease number of lbs u wish to lose in a week
    i just increased mine it wants me to o'ly take in 1230 which is cool.w me cause i burn more than 300 so ill eat back some
    too
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    MFP is calculating using your new body mass to continue losing 2 pounds a week. Its not all that bad, my calorie intake is set at 1460 now, that's a lot of veg and salad meals, but I can increase that by exercise. Even a 30 minute walk a day will add a couple of hundred calories to your diet, that's the difference between meat or no meat. Btw, I'm male and 200+ pounds.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    That does seem low for your weight. If you are currently losing weight, stick with how many calories you are eating. Your body will tell you when you need to cut more calories by slowing down, or stopping, the weight loss.
  • charitas32
    Options
    I had this happen , I checked out my stats on the scooby calculator linked above and then fiddled with the settings on my goals until I got a number I can manage on easily. Upped my calories slightly to 1550, and this site says I should lose 1.5lb a week, so I fiqure if I don't eat all my excercise calories back , aiming to leave 250ish, I am still netting 1300 or so and then my daily deficit is 1000 still and on track for 2lb a week or so .

This is working for now, but then I am still morbidly obese, I fiqure by the time my bmi gets nearer to 30 I will have lost enough weight for my knees to cope with higher impact exercise and can burn more off. I did not fancy a long time on a 1200 calorie diet, this way I can eat more or less the same evening meal as everyone else.

I like knowing I would need to eat quite a bit over 2000 kcals a day to gain weight and would lose on 1800, abit at a slower weight it keeps my inner drama queen from going oh no I ate a chocolate hobnob, my dreams of a healthy weight are ruined forever