Weight fluctuations... bad scale or normal?

Options
I have been on the weight loss track for almost 5 months now. I have lost somewhere between 28-35 pounds. I weigh myself every Thursday morning, just once a week, as to not drive myself crazy. I have steadily lost 1-2 pounds a week since I started.

This last Thursday, I weighed myself and the scale said I gained 3 pounds. Now, it seems this can't be true, my clothes were bigger on me and I just didn't feel any heavier, I assumed I had lost another pound or two.

When I traveled to my mom's house, I stepped on her scale and it was 6 pounds less than the scale at my house, just 12 hours earlier. I weighed myself on my mom's scale each day (just curious) and was within 1 pound of the original weight. I got to my house a few days later, weighed myself, I was 3 pounds less than my mom's scale and now, two days later, my scale says I have gained 7 pounds... in TWO days!

Do you think my scale could be going bad? Is this the sign of a scale with a failing battery? I am just having a hard time believing my weight would fluctuate 6-8 pounds in one week, all the while I feel like I am lighter and my clothes fit better.

Just looking for anyone who may have experienced something like this. I really appreciate everyone's feedback to all the different posts, this is my first, but I find everyone's motivation so helpful. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations happen especially with women. It could be TOM or too much sodium the night before. I weigh every month. Anymore then that is too much frustration.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My weight can flux up to 5 lbs daily & I'm a male.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate, different scales read a bit differently, AND the battery could be getting old.
  • ridemhi
    ridemhi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fluctuations. Also try sticking w/ only one scale. Its normal for weight to fluctuate that much. Also it may depend on your exercise also because if you are getting more muscle > muscle weighs more than fat
  • jenichenny
    jenichenny Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've heard scales can go bad. Not sure how true it is but I was told when and overweight person uses the scale a lot it can break something in it.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    It is about normal. It fluctuates between five for me.
  • hydrochickie
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I think it was the sodium, when I cut it out, even for a day, 3 pounds shed off! I think I may replace the battery this weekend... it's over 5 years old and it probably wouldn't hurt.

Thanks again!