need a push

Options
i've been at this trying to get into better shape stuff since last feb! since then, i've lost 35 lbs. i'm happy with what i've done, but would love to lose AT LEAST another 20 lbs. i plateaued for a few months only because i really wasn't working hard enough at it to lose but was happy to be maintaining. since the new year, my goal was to get back into it full force and try to lose this 20 lbs (then hopefully go further) i bought a polar f6, got the biggest loser video game, and started an aerobics class 3 nights a week. i took off the weight i gained over the holidays but am now sitting at this weight and don't know what else to do to get back on the loss track. i track all my calories and for the most part have been staying within them except for a couple of days. i'm at 1200 on here and most of the time eat my workout calories. i workout at least 4 days a week...3 nights of 1 hour aerobics, and 2 days of the biggest loser workouts and challenges. i'm burning anywhere between 300-550 each workout (or so i thought before reading the hrm doesn't track strength training accurately) i'm just frustrated!!! what else do i have to do? i feel like i'm doing everything i can. this is what i did before when i lost the 35 lbs but feel like i'm not moving at all now. please help me figure out what i'm doing wrong so i can get on with this weight loss journey! i'm getting sooo discouraged!!!

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Well congratulations on loosing 365 lbs. Thats alot!! So you know you can do it and you will!!!!!!!!!
  • pktbundy
    pktbundy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a polar f6. It really helps. One thing that everyone forgets to do is to make sure you set the user settings. They are tough to get to but, you need to set wt, ht resting pulse, max pulse, and most importantly vo2 max. vo2 max, HR level, and wt I think are the big variables for it to calculate your calorie burn accurately. (vo2 max is how fast your body requires oxygen during physical activity, so its a direct measure of the rate at which your body consumes engery)
    You might overestimate calorie burn because its using out of box settings. Also, there are a few threads about using a HR monitor to estimate your metabolic calorie burn. I think the concensus is that this doesn't really work. HR monitors work best for calorie burn estimation above 100 beats per min. Good luck.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Well congratulations on loosing 365 lbs. Thats alot!! So you know you can do it and you will!!!!!!!!!

oops 35 pounds lol
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have a polar f6. It really helps. One thing that everyone forgets to do is to make sure you set the user settings. They are tough to get to but, you need to set wt, ht resting pulse, max pulse, and most importantly vo2 max. vo2 max, HR level, and wt I think are the big variables for it to calculate your calorie burn accurately. (vo2 max is how fast your body requires oxygen during physical activity, so its a direct measure of the rate at which your body consumes engery)
    You might overestimate calorie burn because its using out of box settings. Also, there are a few threads about using a HR monitor to estimate your metabolic calorie burn. I think the concensus is that this doesn't really work. HR monitors work best for calorie burn estimation above 100 beats per min. Good luck.

I also have the F6 and just found the advanced settings you're referring to. I imagine I can sit still for awhile to see what my resting HR is, but how on earth do I know my vo2 max? I left the max HR as the default, since it's always 220-age.