Exercise BEFORE breakfast?

Options
Opinions or facts... should you exercise before breakfast? Or does it not matter.

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. If you feel ok doing it, go for it. If you feel like you need some food, do that. There's not enough advantage either way to say you *should* do one or the other.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. If you feel ok doing it, go for it. If you feel like you need some food, do that. There's not enough advantage either way to say you *should* do one or the other.

^^this. It is purely personal preference.
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hm that would be great.. I personally am obsessed with the thought of exercising before breakfast with a gradual cool down period of at least 20 min. before I eat my breakfast.. (usually spent cooking my breakfast haha)
  • ravenknighte
    Options
    The important thing is that the exercise gets done - not so much when it gets done. Most people I know who do exercise on the morning, do it because it's an easy habit for them. I do have friends who get their exercise in after work on the way home, so they don't get interrupted by kids/spouses/old college barfly friends. I work the overnight shift, so i get mine in after work so that I don't feel rushed for time, and I go as long as I feel like - and because I don't like to exercise on a full stomach.
  • LetsDoTh1S
    LetsDoTh1S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio is a great way to burn fat!
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I get off work about midnight then i eat dinner, rest then about 2 am is when i do about an hour or 2 of work outs.
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    Opinions or facts you say

it will all be OPINION, find what works for you.

personally i run most mornings around 0430 to 0530am, if its under 6 miles i wont have anything at all apart from a coffee and glass of water, if it over 6 miles then i will have a gu energy gel and maybe a piece of fruit first, if its gonna be long or im gonna stop to do hill repeats along the way or something similar then i will have a bowl of oatmeal and fruit or similar first then run about 90 minutes later give or take.

Peace
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Whichever works for you....

I go to the gym 2-3 weekday mornings at 6am and there is no way i can eat anything before then. On Saturdays and Sundays I go abit later (usually anywhere between 8 and 10am) and I always have breakfast first on these occasions. So basically for me it depends on what time I actually start the workout.
  • Janedebond
    Options
    I was told if you exercise before eating, you tap into the fat stored overnight more sucessfully. Peronally, I can't face food first thing in the morning.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I exercise after breakfast but I am more likely to exercise if I do it before breakfast.
  • PapaDunx
    PapaDunx Posts: 243
    Options
    You should eat an hour before exercising. (according to most weight training guides)
    This gives your body a kickstart, it gives the exercise something to burn off and any residual calories are burned off upto 8 hours after.
    Eating something light after, also keeps the metabolism working.
  • ennysmith
    Options
    ya,I do exercise before breakfast.It,s good if you do exercise every morning.You feel good
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    there are no "you should's" as far as breakfast is concerned. Do what feels right to you. This whole process is finding your own groove and you will see that many people think they have the perfect answer. It really doesn't matter, just follow your instincts and go with that.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably personal choice!

Some days when I train I have to be at the gym by 6.30am, which is too early for me to eat - so I eat afterwards. If I am able to train a little later then I'll have breakfast beforehand.

I found on the occasions that I ate very early in the mornings and trained soon afterwards that I felt quite nauseous!

Whatever works for you, I suppose!
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like exercising with much in my stomach, so I might have a small piece of fruit or half a protein bar to tie me over until I'm finished (that is, if I wake up to exercise). ;-)
  • genefabes
    genefabes Posts: 132
    Options
    I always do my cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. well mostly empt. I wake up at 5:00am so I need a cup of coffee and glass of water first. its what has always worked far better for me. I'be recently read a lot of articles popping up about the supposed benefits of it but I simply do it this way because it's what has always felt best. I usually do strength training four days a week separately in the afternoon.
  • elrolloSurf
    Options
    Exercising before breakfast supercharges your metabolism for the day, it's absolutely one of the best ways to lose weight
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I tried running 3 miles before breakfast and was tired the whole way. I will continue to run after a light breakfast. I think it depends on the intensity of the exercise also.
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Aside from all comments I find it best to exercise before breakfast anyways (wanted all opinions)... Especially some cardio.. I drink a ton of water...exercise... then at least 30 min. after working out I eat a hearty breakfast with lots of protein and some good fats. Works great.
    I think I would be highly unmotivated to exercise after I ate.. but it's interesting reading all responses..
    Perhaps though, eating something light beforehand and waiting some 20 so minutes would be good as well... both seems logical to me.