Way too much sodium AND too much protein.

Options
I would really hate to know my sodium intake before I was actually aware of everything that went into my mouth.

Any advice?
What foods are low sodium?

Also, is it horrible that I am getting too much protein?

Sorry guys, I am COMPLETELY new at this.

Replies

• BeverlyBrooke
    Options
    bump
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Not being a wise guy either but generally if it doesn't come in a box or container then it will be low sodium, sans fresh meat packaging. If it comes in a box look for the low sodium version from the same company or another. There are generally more than one option to select from fortunately. That said, it's very difficult if you diet staples are packaged foods.

Oops on the Protein part, MFP's default settings for the Macro nutrient are a bit off for most people. I believe Carbs are 55% which just doesn't work for me (and most others trying to lose weight). You can change this by going back to your Goals and then do Custom. Use the drop downs to change the %'s. I personally use 40% Carbs/40% Protein/20% fat and many others on here seem to use 40%/30%/30%.
  • melissarhea
    Options
    I totally agree with the first response, you should watch the packaged foods, especially those notorious for high sodium, like meats, soups, and frozen entrees.

There is quite a bit of debate about the protein. Some say it is bad for our bodies while others say that it is necessary. Is it from meat or protein shakes? You should do some research about it and determine what you think is best for your body and your goal. I use protein shakes for pre and post workout nutrition and meal replacement but there are protein shakes out there that are designed for bodybuilders that have high calorie content, mine do not; they are designed for meal replacments or snacks. Whatever the case, know that you should have plenty of fiber in your diet to conteract the constipation that is caused by high protein diets.
  • yrhee
    yrhee Posts: 21
    Options
    Hate to break it to you, but almost everything you're eating is too high in sodium :( Pickles, jerky, cheese, canned beans, even most breads, bagles, crackers are quite high in sodium. Could you try subbing in fresh cucumbers instead of pickles? if you're going to eat beans, you could thoroughly rinse them with water to try to get rid of much of the residual sodium-filled can juice. Stay away from the jerky if you're watching sodium.
  • wedge421
    wedge421 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yeah the sodium is a tough one. The good news though is that you are aware of it now. And try not to overdue it the day before a weigh in since it make you retain water. And I +1 the comment about changing the goals to 40/30/30 55% carbs is way to much
  • suwonfish
    Options
    Good grief, I had no idea the carbs were 55%! I just reset to 40/40/20. Thanks for the heads up.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    to cut sodium you need to cook and/or prepare your own foods...or buy off of a low sodium menu....otherwise everything is high in sodium.

And yes you can almost disregard your mfp suggestions... i hope you have your own separate protocol to follow based on your body and your goals.
  • jesshall281
    Options
    try eating clean? fruits, vegetables etc...I usually net around 1000-1500 daily in my sodium. You can take a look at my diary if you want.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Do you have high blood pressure from the sodium?
    I often eat a lot of salty foods, but have a healthy blood pressure, so that isn't an issue for me.
    I'm not too worried by water retention and any other 'issues' I've seen regarding sodium, so quite happy to leave my salt intake as it is.

I have been eating a high sodium and high protein diet generally and managed to lose a good bit of weight and put on a bit of muscle at the same time. (Around 50lb since may.)
  • krom862
    krom862 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with sodium, and really try to stay away from pre-packaged foods. However, I have read and been told that in order to negate the sodium effects, you should be taking in at least an equal amount of potassium. That being said, I find it difficult to do that as well :-/
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky and cured ham? Of course you're way over in sodium.

As for protein, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    100g of protein would be pretty good for you.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Yup, I agree with everyone. You are definitely eating way too much prepackaged food items.

Eat fresh foods.. let the sodium be a naturally occuring element of food, not the result of highly processed boxed/canned/cured foodstuffs
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I'm on 40C / 30C/30P and it is pretty manageable and is around the recommended protein per lb of lean body mass. It's worked for me so far. I am on a doctor enforced 1500 mg sodium, feel free to look at my diary for ideas on low sodium. You'll find it's mostly fresh or quick to prepare as I love cooking but don't really like spending a lot of time on prep.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Less packaged foods and more fruits & veggies. Make your own meals so you know how much salt is being added, if any. I don't think a lot of protein is good for the body (I'm not any kind of expert though so don't quote me on it). I personally try to stay within a certain number for protein each day and limit my animal protein intake.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mustard and hot sauces are high in sodium also. Very sad... Yellow mustard has 80 mg a tsp! and franks hit sauce is 190 mg a tsp:sad:
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mustard and hot sauces are high in sodium also. Very sad... Yellow mustard has 80 mg a tsp! and franks hit sauce is 190 mg a tsp:sad:

Sorry hot sauce
  • betzj72
    betzj72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I see everyone talking about changing their percentages on carbs, fat etc. How do you change those settings?
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/protein-weight-loss This is a good article on how protein is actually essential to healthy weight loss and how most women aren't getting enough. Just like the others said, MFP puts the protein allotment way too low and carbs way too high, but you can go in and manually change them. The article states a woman should have .5-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. If you're trying to lose weight stay on the lower end.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I never go over on sodium so I guess I'm no help, but I also only eat fresh foods, with the occasional can of soup or premixed pancake/waffle mix. Somebody said jerky is high in sodium, but I eat 1oz a day(Jack Links recommended serving size) and I'm still under my sodium(actually doesn't have a whole lot like some other brands) and as far as going over on protein, I don't think it's a bad thing. I'm 99% of the time OVER on 2 things(ONLY): Protein & Fiber. I've never been over on carbs.