how do you cope with suicide?

Options
...i met this awesome person six years ago or so. We became friends the moment we met. He was a revolutionary, a punk rocker, an artist, a musician ... he was so talented, and so kind. We were gonna get a matching tattoo, but we never got around to it. We used to sit up playing video games all night drinking PBR. No one has ever made me smile that much, or laugh that much.

... and he killed himself this morning. Out of nowhere.

I have never even dealt with death before, really, and I feel like I'm living in a dream. I've cried all day, then felt ok, then I'll be walking down the hall and it will hit me and I'll just double over in tears again.

I guess there will never be closure, or understanding. I keep telling myself 'what if I'd called him instead of emailed..." or "what if I'd responded to that post on Facebook with a message instead..." Uhhhhhhg. I was 2000k miles away but if I'd been there I had known something was wrong for a week...I feel so helpless and sick.

Replies

• theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for the pain you're going through. Please, don't take any of this on yourself. Everything you're feeling is completely normal but throw the guilt away. I strongly encourage you to find a support group in your area for family and friends of people who have committed suicide. They'll be more help than you could ever imagine. :heart:
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    There was absolutely nothing you could have done. An ex boyfriend and very good friend of mine begged me to come back to the east coast and see him, I told him that I couldn't talk to him because my husband was not liking him, and I found out a year later he committed suicide. If I had gone back, would he still be alive? No. He was severely depressed, and I imagine your friend was as well to do such a sad and terrible thing. Get to bed, try to sleep, you will feel better in the morning. I am so, so sorry for your loss.
  • ediths6
    ediths6 Posts: 72
    Options
    I know that it sounds cliche and its not helpfull right at the moment. But time will help you to feel better- slowly you will be able to remember and feel sad but not break down and the cloud on your heart will lift slowly. My best friend in highschool became ill with manic depression and committed suicide. It took over a year to feel normal. but these days 4 years later i can remember her and think of her and be wistfull but not fall into the saddness.

my biggest tip is to talk about your friend- otherwise it feels very isolating that life continues on as normal and it feels like no one else remembers- talk.. because they do too.

Peace- i hope youre alright
    message if you need to talk
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    I guess there will never be closure, or understanding.

There will be, eventually. Just set aside some time to grieve. Let it take it's course and try and remember the good times you had together with him. He sounds like he was a really cool guy and I've known more than a few like him that take their own lives. My uncle included.

I guess he just decided it was his time to go and even if you don't like it. You should respect it. He sounds like he was a free spirit and he lived and died as he wanted, when and how he wanted, at a time of his choosing. Can anyone really ask for any more than that?

I've lost everyone close to me in my life. My family is broken up. I don't see my kids anymore and all my friends are long gone. I still see them in my dreams sometimes and maybe you will see him there too.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss but don't blame yourself for it. Usually those with suicidal tendencies don't bring up their problems with anyone even to their SO. Depression is really hard to detect unless that particular person would bring it up. There are people who appear very cheerful & always surrounded with people but are depressed. On the other hand, there are people who are loners & yet are totally happy.

Like what the other posters have said, it will take time to heal. Its human nature to feel sad when we lose someone dear to us. Cry if you need to for a while & let it out. Talk with a friend, a family member or anyone who will support you.
  • ilyahna
    ilyahna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What gets to me is I knew him well, I'm a trained therapist...

...I should have seen something. I saw behavior different then any he'd ever had (granted it was on Facebook...but ...I'm in Minnesota, he was in Tennessee) ...

I blamed it on alcohol and a bad breakup. I guess I was right. =/
  • cgale8
    cgale8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First: there is nothing you could have done to prevent this from happening. So please don't blame yourself for anything. Suicide is a terrible tragedy that only the victim knows why they did it. Some people show signs leading up and some just make a decision and follow through.

Second: take care of yourself. let the grief process occur but try not to let yourself withdraw. Check online to find a support group to help you through this time.

Time will help and it will heal but it does not help you to forget. It just helps you to move forward.

I speak to you as a three time suicide survivor, it will get better but everyone handles this differently so don't let anyone tell you the time frame that the grief process should take.
  • cgale8
    cgale8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What gets to me is I knew him well, I'm a trained therapist...

...I should have seen something. I saw behavior different then any he'd ever had (granted it was on Facebook...but ...I'm in Minnesota, he was in Tennessee) ...

I blamed it on alcohol and a bad breakup. I guess I was right. =/

I know how you feel, I also am a trained therapist and tried to help an individual but his mind was made up and he not only took his life but the lives of two others as well. It was several years ago and it took me a long time to forgive myself because I too felt there was something I should have picked up on or done to prevent it.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It'll be different for different people, but I have been through something similar. I lost a close friend who lived with terrible physical pain, as well as fairly severe depression. She overdosed on her medications, and her manner of death was undetermined (meaning not ruled suicide or accidental). Unanswerable questions do make it harder, I know that very well. All I could tell myself was that, either way, she was in more pain than she could bear, and had to leave us.

All you can do is grieve, and take the best care of yourself that you can as you do. Your friends are here for you. :heart:
  • miss_grad
    miss_grad Posts: 102
    Options
    Reading this made my heart sink...

Lemony Snicket, in my opinion, put it best: "“It is a curious thing, the death of a loved one. We all know that our time in this world is limited, and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone we know. It is like walking up the stairs to your bedroom in the dark, and thinking there is one more stair than there is. Your foot falls down, through the air, and there is a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try and readjust the way you thought of things.”

I wish I knew the answers on how to cope... My mother passed away almost five years ago from an drug overdose. It still haunts me. However, I have learned how precious time is and how short life can be. His passing does not have to be in vain if you live in memory of him... Remember the good times. Make each day count. "Carpe diem", latin phrase for: "Seize the day."

Allow yourself time to grieve... Embrace the sadness, anger, confusion, frustration -- allow yourself to feel every emotion, but don't allow it to consume you. As others have said, it will take time to get back on your feet.

My heart reaches out you during this difficult time...
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    Lemony Snicket, in my opinion, put it best: "“It is a curious thing, the death of a loved one. We all know that our time in this world is limited, and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone we know. It is like walking up the stairs to your bedroom in the dark, and thinking there is one more stair than there is. Your foot falls down, through the air, and there is a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try and readjust the way you thought of things.”

I prefer to think Tyler Durden did. "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate of everyone drops to zero"

Death is a part of life.
  • ilyahna
    ilyahna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Reading this made my heart sink...

That is exactly how it feels. I have sat in my room and cried and then felt ok. Then I left the room, and the change of scenery made me realize things aren't the same, and the grief set in again...

How poetic, and unexpected.

And I'm so sorry about your mother.
  • miss_grad
    miss_grad Posts: 102
    Options
    @ilyahna: Be good to yourself... You deserve nothing less. <3

@AlphamaleBAMF: Very true. I'll drink to that.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It's nasty, of that there is no doubt. There is no closure...no getting over it, you merely get used to it. That pain and you will become intimate friends, you will exist as one. It will always hurt but in time, the hurt will change and you wont hate it quite so much. All you can do is all you can do. Just keep steppin'.........one day, or hour, or minute at a time. Know in your heart that hopefully he is happy now

Please take care of you during all of this
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you. The death of a loved one is always traumatic, but there's something laden and heavy about suicide that just makes it so, so hard.

My Dad took his own life when I was 14, and hand on heart I thought I would never, ever stop hurting. It hurt to breathe, to blink, to speak. I honestly could not see a time when the pain didn't consume every waking moment. I didn't see it coming, there was no explanation, no note, nothing. It feels like you're just left to deal with something truly huge and almighty with no resources whatsoever.

People used to say to me "you'll get over it". They didn't mean it spitefully; they just didn't know what to say. I compare loss of a loved one with losing an arm - you never "get over" losing an arm, but you learn to live with it day-by-day. You know the pain; you get acquainted with each other, and soon you're cohabiting.

I understand that you are in the thick of it at the moment, that horrible all-consuming pain. Hearing that it will get better seems like an insincere platitude at times like this but believe me - it does. Don't even take it one day at a time - an hour, ten minutes. There'll be bad days and good days. After a while, the good days outweigh the bad and oh my God, you find yourself laughing for once. And on it goes. You carry the person in your heart forever, and eventually the memory of them will bring smiles rather than tears.

But for now? Your world is ripped apart. It sometimes feels like you can't see past the next 10 minutes. Remember your friend; remember that there is nothing you could have done. Once someone has set their mind to ending their life, it takes damn near divine intervention to stop them. If they've got to a point when the pain is so bad that ending their life is their only option, then it's like stopping the world spinning. You can't. It's hard to admit but we are powerless in these situations.

You are in my thoughts. Remember your friend; stay strong; it WILL get easier.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Hi hun. I'm so sorry about your friend. You will learn in the coming weeks, that there's nothing that will make you feel better except for time, and that there are no words that anybody can say to you that will make things better. There's nothing. My fiance died suddenly in April and we had been together since we were 13, he was 25. So I understand the pain of a sudden loss. The only thing you can do now is take care of yourself, and let others take care of you. Somehow, you get through the worst of it. And then, eventually, you'll be able to think/talk about him without breaking down

It's normal to be fine one minute, and breaking down the next. Don't worry about other people and what they think. Just go with it.
    I haven't started counselling/therapy yet but I will when I'm ready. Maybe that's something that can help you too. I don't feel comfortable talking to my friends/family about how I am feeling, so maybe it will help talking to someone who doesn't know me and who isn't also grieving

I don't know what else to tell you. People will tell you to 'stay strong' and you won't feel like you are strong enough. Time's not a healer, but you just learn to cope a little better.

I am always here, if you want to message me or talk. Sometimes talking about it with a total stranger can be therapy in itself.

I think no matter what, whether you had called him or mailed him, there wouldn't have been anything you could have done. He didn't reach out for help and he knew what he wanted to do. As painful as that is to accept, that was what he wanted. I also had a friend commit suicide when we were 16, and he did the same. He was the class clown, always happy and jokey, really popular guy that everyone loved, and one night, he was just gone in an instant. As hard as it is to understand why they would do that to their family and friends, it's each person's choice at the end of the day. The wrong choice yes, but not in their eyes

Thinking of you. x
  • TiredandReadyForLoss
    Options
    Depression is an evil attack....I am so sorry for your loss and like others have said, it is more difficult for those left behind to deal with the aftermath. Grieve, find a support group and know that when someone is that depressed they are not themselves, they do not know how to deal with the pain they are being dealt and many don't know how to ask for help because they aren't in a rational way of thinking. My prayers are with you....