5:2 intermittent fasting diet

Options
I saw this in a recent Horizon documentary and was fascinated by the results (you can see the doc here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM) . Anyone do this, how does it work for you? I'm going to give it a go, starting today and have my fasting days on monday & wednesday.

Replies

• lucygilly
    Options
    I have started this week and already with the of the calorie counter I have lost 4 lbs! Can't believe it!!!!
  • janenightingale
    janenightingale Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started after the programme but I have abandoned it - I can go without food all day but as soon as I do eat it triggers MASSIVE cravings and I am obsessing. Much easier for me to stick to 1200 a day plus eating exercise calories back. OH seems to be managing it better - he has a lot more to lose than me - I'm almost at goal. Don't know whether that makes a difference.
  • Elizaj85
    Elizaj85 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I saw that program an this comment wasn't about fasting as such but him, he was doing it so he didn't have to work out just seemed a little crazy
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    keep a track of the weeks calories, I personally like to spread the remainder through the rest of the week evenly, works better for me anyway!
  • mandyw30
    mandyw30 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I started trying fast days after watching the programme.
    Generally fast on Tuesdays and Fridays. Have played around with when I have something to eat. Found that skipping breakfast, having a slice of chicken and some cherry tomatoes and cucumber for lunch then some turkey or fish and veggies for dinner was the best option for me. When I had something for breakfast I felt so hungry!! This week is my first week trying it at work, Tuesday went ok, so will be interesting to see how today goes!!
    There was an interesting discussion on here following the programme. Can read it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/695809-uk-programme-on-fasting
  • janenightingale
    janenightingale Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    In fairness to the programme I think the point of fasting was to see improvements in his blood cholesterol and the growth hormone (can't remember what it's called) It just wasn't for me - but I didn't give much of a go!
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chipmunkcheeks76
    Options
    I used to fast for days on end, and lost weight. 11 stone. Now everyone picks on me if I have a fasting day. I do however keep my calories very low on 'non-gym' days. I am all for fasting! :happy:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I saw that program an this comment wasn't about fasting as such but him, he was doing it so he didn't have to work out just seemed a little crazy
    Why ? I can think of many people who don't "work out" and would never think of doing so. Good for him in addressing his health and weight in an effective manner.
  • Clarevmb
    Clarevmb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump, thinking about trying it when back in work September
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I too watched this program and have posted about it. I liked the 5:2 concept and started last week.

I fast on a Mon & Thurs.

I work out on those days too as the deficit allows me to physically eat more than 500 calories.

Week one lost 2lbs after a plateau of 3 weeks, I was SO shocked.

Can't wait for my weigh in on Sunday.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I too watched this program and have posted about it. I liked the 5:2 concept and started last week.

I fast on a Mon & Thurs.

I work out on those days too as the deficit allows me to physically eat more than 500 calories.

Week one lost 2lbs after a plateau of 3 weeks, I was SO shocked.

Can't wait for my weigh in on Sunday.

Is this correct? Is it 500 calories NET on fast days? Can you earn more by working out? I can find very very little on this diet other than what I have read on here
  • katefen2
    katefen2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's 400-500 calories for women and 500-600 for men on fast days, gross not net
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Shortforbob is right - you don't earn extra calories on this diet by working out or through any other forms of exercise. What you see is what you get - 500 calories for women, 600 for men, but you can eat what you want, within reason, on the other 5 days of the week.
  • AcetoneForever
    Options

He does work out he does HIIT a few times a week and bike riding and walking for leisure/exercise (info from his Twitter), he just doesn't do heavy workouts at the gym.
  • Leticia91
    Options
    I'm looking to start the 5:2 diet. Can you change the days on which you fast each week? Also, are you restricted to calorie intake on the days where you're not fasting?

Thanks.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The video has been removed. Mirror?
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Fasting is a great long-term and sustainable lifestyle choice, but it's important not to become too obsessed with the details.

I've tried Brad Pilon "Eat. Stop. Eat" style fasting (2x24 hour fasts in a week) and I found that 1x24 hour fast worked great, but 2x24 hour fast made me eat insatiably on other days -- Counter productive!

I've tried Ori Hofmekler "Warrior Diet" style fasting (24-hour fast every day with a single large meal) and I found that I could do it, and I lost a tonne of weight, but during the daytimes I felt under stress constantly (despite doing nothing different!). Probably because it *is* stressful to go that long without food. I lost 11 pounds in a week though, breaking through a plateau that had lasted for nigh on 2-months. NOT for the faint hearted.

I currently do Leangains style fasting (16 hours fasting / 8 hours eating window, every day) and that works GREAT. I've never felt better and there's something nice about working out fasted.

As for 5:2, it falls closest into the Brad Pilon camp of fasting -- Personally, my experience tells me that I'd rather not eat at all that eat a little bit on those days. If anyone is struggling to do 5:2, then try a 6:1 but don't eat on that day at all.

Fasting makes you feel great, and I would recommend it to anyone. It just so happens that 5:2 in this video is very accessible to the majority of people (my mum does it, for example) but there are other ways :)
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do leangains with the occasional 24-32 h fast once in a while. I feel awesome and it works well with my lifestyle. Im definitely all for fasting :)