Does this work as Motivation?

Options
I've been tempted to buy a dress that I want to get in the size I want to be... has anyone else done this and had it work?

The desire to do this is battling my practical side which is going, what if you become gorgeous at a size that is bigger/smaller than this dress and never get the chance to wear it?

Any insights from those that are either:
A. Done this method and it worked.
B. Done this method and it didn't work.
C. Attempting this method...

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've done this with both a dress and jeans. I think it helps tremendously. Especially if you aren't dropping weight super fast but you can now fit into smaller clothes! I highly recommend it!
  • wrinju
    wrinju Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I went to goodwill and found a cute dress. It is a very realistic size for me. I have it hanging up in my closet.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    As long as it's realistic goal - GO for it!!

I figure anything you can do to keep yourself motivated can only help.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've done, and still do this - it's a great way to set mini-goals, as well as long-term ones. I've had a few times that I waited too long, and ended up not wearing an item before it got too big on me. I just pick up my items at Goodwill, so if it ends up not being worn in time, I just re-donate it.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I just did this, bought a pair of jeans a size smaller than I normally wear.
  • katys_workinforit
    katys_workinforit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like this idea. I guess I would base the decision to buy the dress on how affordable it is to you. An awesome dress can be great motiviation.

I think I may stop by Salvation Army and pick me up some mini goal pants. (although I can probably find a pair in my closet... it would be more fun to have a new to me pair as a mini-reward).

Good luck - keep tracking!
  • SelenityJ
    SelenityJ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am definitely going for it!
  • MissCierra2008
    Options
    I want to do this too!!! Every girl deserves at least "little black dress" in their life time! I am about to order mine from a website (I think its called Greatglam.com) but they have AWESOME dresses I would like to use for motivation! Everytime I start getting into that "I'm never going to lose weight" attitude, I just log on and stare at the tiny dresses lol.. I will be ordering one sooner than later.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone! lol
  • yes ive done exactly that! in fact i have bought 3! they are all one size smaller,and i adore all of them, and there is no way on thisearth that i am NOT going to fit into them by Christmas! so yes this is a motivation for me!
  • Becky_Boop
    Options
    I did this at the start of my journey and it worked! For now however I just have a savings box which I pop money in every time I do certain things (every time I eat something I haven't planned, every time I get cravings) it is filling up quite nicely & I refuse to spend a penny of it until I reach my mini- goals! x
  • zeerah
    zeerah Posts: 2
    Options
    I did it for my daughters wedding, found the perfect dress and bought it
    the size I wanted to be by wedding. It worked like a charm, I'd try it on
    here and there, not only did it work it was kinda fun watching the dress
    fit better and better......

I do it all the time with pants and swimsuits too....

It definaitly helps me :)

Good luck!
  • kanata
    kanata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'd say do it!
    I'm wearing a size UK 10 jeans at the moment, was always 12 to 14 depending on my yo-yo skills. Now i'm more like a 10-12 so am buying 10's that are a bit snug to remind me what to work on (have the top button undone while sitting typing though haha).
    I WILL fit these and it's definitely the way forward for some!
    Try it out, and doing the good will option works too - i go to Primark (cheap clothes store) and do it via their clothes as then i'm not wasting tonnes of money if i don't fit/get fed up!
    Good luck!