1 year on..not losing, HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• spatel22
    spatel22 Posts: 13
    Options
    According to the BMI calculator at 5 foot 4 and 120lbs. You're firmly in the healthy zone. Perhaps you should consider looking at ways to build muscle rather than losing weight.

I know but I just feel ''chunky'' :laugh:. Any tips on ways to build muscle anyone???
  • StrawberrySprinkles
    Options
    Check out the groups. There maybe more advice there. I'm not in the market for gaining muscle...yet. :D
  • spatel22
    Options
    Okay I will do! Thanks strawberryfiz:flowerforyou: Good luck on your journey!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I do try eat three meals a day, but I'm one of those late night snackers and I don't know how to kick the habit!

Do you want to be fat? If you don't, just dont' do it. Calories out = more than calories in = weight loss. It's that simple.

You want exercise tips? Walk, run, bike, elliptical, strength training. Pushups, situps, squats, skipping, swimming. stairs. Anything.

Anything that will burn more calories than you consume, which you must limit.

I've tried telling myself not to and to ignore the 'hunger' but I can't stop it..its become almost automatic.

And as for the exercise, I do about 25 minutes of intervals on a bike, 20 running, 15 on the elliptical and then about 20-25 minutes of strength training. I'm stuck on what else I can do

You can stop it. Only you control you. There is no outside force calling to you to eat. It's a mental game, and for late night smackers, it's habit. Habits are very hard to break. You simply have to get real with yourself and decide what is more important, losing weight or that late night snack? It's up to you.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to do more exercise. It's your diet that is the issue.
  • londabeall
    Options
    Looking at what you said in the initial post, it looks like to me that you actually probably don't need to loose any weight. And am I understanding that you have figured out that you can eat 2150 calories a day, and you are actually under that? If so your body is actually holding onto calories even more. If you exercise a lot you do need more healthy carbs, so I don't think cutting carbs at your exercise level is a good idea. It is maybe that your goals are unrealistic? Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are training a lot, even if you are reducing fat, you won't see a weight loss due to increase in muscle, and higher weight of muscle tissue compared to fat. Breathe, enjoy life, and maybe exercise less, (then at that point you should eat less, increase protein and decrease carbs, as you will not be needing so much energy). But for now, at this exercise level, I think you are stressing your body enough, maybe too much actually. Sorry if you think this odd advice.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I do try eat three meals a day, but I'm one of those late night snackers and I don't know how to kick the habit!

Do you want to be fat? If you don't, just dont' do it. Calories out = more than calories in = weight loss. It's that simple.

You want exercise tips? Walk, run, bike, elliptical, strength training. Pushups, situps, squats, skipping, swimming. stairs. Anything.

Anything that will burn more calories than you consume, which you must limit.

I've tried telling myself not to and to ignore the 'hunger' but I can't stop it..its become almost automatic.

And as for the exercise, I do about 25 minutes of intervals on a bike, 20 running, 15 on the elliptical and then about 20-25 minutes of strength training. I'm stuck on what else I can do
    [/quote

Are you truly hungry or are you bored?? Snacking tends to go along with boredom and habit rather than true hunger, if you are truly hungry than maybe you need to eat more during the day to avoid this. When I used to snack at night I know it wasn't because I was really hungry rather than that's what you do, you watch tv you snack. Now I stop eating by 6 and it doesn't bother me at all, I drink so much water that I'm never hungry in the evening.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1) to help prevent snacking try and save up 300 calorties or so from the daily amount specifically for your evening muncies. Helps me. :-) Also, IF can help with this, if you can get to noon or so without eating.

2) calories in to calories out doesn't work for everyone. I seem to be proof of that. (Yes, I AM a special snowflake - so there). Other things such as medical issues, medication, quality of those calories can and do affect some people. Sad but true.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1) to help prevent snacking try and save up 300 calorties or so from the daily amount specifically for your evening muncies. Helps me. :-) Also, IF can help with this, if you can get to noon or so without eating.

2) calories in to calories out doesn't work for everyone. I seem to be proof of that. (Yes, I AM a special snowflake - so there). Other things such as medical issues, medication, quality of those calories can and do affect some people. Sad but true.

Agreed Lisa. Calories aren't just calories for me either.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Two things:

Yeah - it's a damned annoying discovery isn't it? Sigh.

(Sorry about my spelling people - I'm having a clumsy typing day)
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Aloha,
    When I started this journey, I had no idea how to go about losing weight the correct way, without hurting myself and without being hungry all the time. I found out from all the knowledgeable folks here on MFP that neither situation has to occur if you are losing the weight the proper way. I read the newbie posts on the forums a couple of times and ended up here:
    IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12, read the instructions. Dan lays everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.
    Then I acquired some spreadsheets from JamaicaLady that helped out and confirmed that I was indeed losing lean muscle along with weight. Now I know how to do this thing without losing muscle mass. In this folder are some more tools to help you track and keep things in perspective and some motivational backgrounds and the like. Good Luck!

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit

Please feel free to download, copy and SHARE anything in the folder. I believe in “Paying it Forward” as HelloItsDan says….

If you have any difficulty with the spreadsheets let me know and I will give you a hand!
    My email is: mikeschratz@gmail.com
  • spatel22
    Options
    Two things:

Yeah - it's a damned annoying discovery isn't it? Sigh.

(Sorry about my spelling people - I'm having a clumsy typing day)

I think it is out of boredem because when I work evenings on the weekend, I dont feel hungry and don't think about food because I'm busy, I think I am just going to have to keep myself busy in the evenings to avoid snacking.
    And i agree about the quality of the calories! From what people have replied..I'm eating too much carbs and too little protein so I'm going to switch that around and see if that makes a difference over the next few months. Thanks for all your help by the way!!!!!! You're all defiantly re-motivating me! :flowerforyou: :tongue: x
  • sarah_Holland81
    Options
    According to the BMI calculator at 5 foot 4 and 120lbs. You're firmly in the healthy zone. Perhaps you should consider looking at ways to build muscle rather than losing weight.

I know but I just feel ''chunky'' :laugh:. Any tips on ways to build muscle anyone???

Best way to build muscle is to eat more Protien :laugh: . Do you do any strength exercises?
  • spatel22
    Options
    Aloha,
    When I started this journey, I had no idea how to go about losing weight the correct way, without hurting myself and without being hungry all the time. I found out from all the knowledgeable folks here on MFP that neither situation has to occur if you are losing the weight the proper way. I read the newbie posts on the forums a couple of times and ended up here:
    IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12, read the instructions. Dan lays everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.
    Then I acquired some spreadsheets from JamaicaLady that helped out and confirmed that I was indeed losing lean muscle along with weight. Now I know how to do this thing without losing muscle mass. In this folder are some more tools to help you track and keep things in perspective and some motivational backgrounds and the like. Good Luck!

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit

Please feel free to download, copy and SHARE anything in the folder. I believe in “Paying it Forward” as HelloItsDan says….

If you have any difficulty with the spreadsheets let me know and I will give you a hand!
    My email is: mikeschratz@gmail.com

Woaaah, that folders great, definately going to take a good look through, thanks!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lean out your muscles or tighten your abs, give yoga/pilates of some sort a chance. Maybe do a yoga class once or twice a week to break up your work out routine or just as an added activity if you have the time.

I also recommend going to see a nutriionist - I am definitely some one who has benefited from low carb but I really believe there is a whole lot more to why we eat the way we do than just being told what to eat by a diet guru, even though I follow one (but because it is pretty much in line with what my doctor told me to do at my age - 53) ..I also believe that we have to adjust our nutrition plan as we age and take on more or do less activity. But all of them require you to monitor what you eat, and what additional activity you do. - hence why I love MFP.. it works for everyone!

Another thing - don't let charts tell you what you should weigh - but take heed that you have to eat to survive and thrive. Charts tell us we should weigh more in our 50's than our 30's - and that is crap. I went to a doctor who specializes in the health of performance artists because my main hobby is playing french horn - after my 8-12 hour a day desk job. We set a weight range of 129-139, and sure enough, this is a really easy weight range right now to maintain. So continue seeking advice, and get some in real life professionals to adjust it to the wonderful individual you.