200 below daily calory limit but sugars 1/3rd too high

Options
Joined MFP today.

After a shock at my last doctors "Check up", I have been motivated to loose some weight. Already lost 5 pounds in last two weeks, then I found this web site, so hoping to maintain my loss. My net calories limit is 1500 calories per day, my gross calories are 1350 for today so before I go to gym I am well below my target intake.

Then I look at total sugars in this 1300, target is 57g and I have eaten 76g. My carbs are just below my daily total and fat is below 50% of daily total.

I can only put this down to the amount of fruit in my diet.

Could you more experienced dieters care to explain what I see as an anomaly. IS this an issue? Do I ned to fine tune what I am eating?

Replies

• dickymint678
    dickymint678 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi.

There are many different methods to dieting and I'm sure you'll get lots of input.

In really basic terms, and in principle, as long as you consume less calories than you burn off, you can be a fruitarian, vegitarian, omnivore, carnivore or what you fancy.

Just don't starve yourself and ensure you excercise regularly!

I would say that if you mostly consume / get your calories from fruits and carbs, you may find yourself feeling hungry alot.

There are some good articles on the internet, choose to read content from established organizations or well respected sources.

Good luck.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    There are a lot of sugars in fruit but its natural sugar, I go over my sugar all the time because of fruit but I don't really count it, aslong as you are not going over your sugar limit with unhealthy snacks then I think its ok
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I don't watch sugar anymore because it all comes from fruit. Hunger is not an issue as fruit has a lot of fiber. There are a lot of people worried about eating fruit and I've even seen one person say they weighed 300 lbs from eating too much. Unless it's deep fried and rolled in lard I don't think that kind of weight is from fruit alone!

I don't worry about because the nutrient benefit outweighs the sugar in my eyes. Added sugar to processed foods usually will lead to weight gain because those types of foods tend to have a lot of fat and various bad items in them.

Ask a dr if fruit should be cut out when losing weight and see what he says.
  • zmarzouka
    Options
    Don't worry about the Macronutrients (carbs, protein and fat), just keep track of your calories, a calorie is a calorie, it doesn't matter where it comes from, your diet can be made up of 100% carbs and you can still lose weight if you are under your maintenance.
  • dickymint678
    dickymint678 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter where it comes from, your diet can be made up of 100% carbs and you can still lose weight if you are under your maintenance.

You are quite correct but there are knock on effects from not consuming enough protein or EFA's to supply the body's needs.