what to do after C25K?

Options
Hello everyone,

I am a week away from finishing C25K programme, and am wondering what to do afterwards? I want to carry on running, but am not sure how to carry on? can I now run every day? I have heard of 'B210K' (Bridge to 10K) and wondered if anyone had done it and whether it was any good.

Thankyou x

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've been running over a year and a half now, starting with C25k, and I don't like to run on back to back days. I know some people do, but after being sidelined with a stress fracture last winter, I prefer to run 3-4 times a week, and lift weights 2-3 times a week, with one or two rest days. I've continued running, but I mix it up. Some days I do an easy run, some days hills, some days longer distances, some days sprints, and my favorite... trails.
  • emtrem
    emtrem Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for your reply. Maybe alternating days is a better idea, I have did suffer with shin splints a little. Good advice, thankyou. x
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i wondered the same thing when i completed the program last spring. i kept running 2-3 times a week (2-3 miles) and i even completed about half the training for a half marathon last winter. but i really didn't like running that far, so i took up spinning and yoga. i still run 1-2x a week (2-3 miles) and i'm running a 4 mile race next weekend, but i just couldn't get into running longer distances. for me, going for a 1/2 hour run is perfect.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I would try a 10K. Most running stores offer running groups throughout the week for serious and non serious runners to help keep you motivated. Running stores and running clubs also often offer half marathon training (which is not as scary as it seems.) I bet you can find a group somewhere to join and keep with the training and keep it fun as well!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm due to finish the program on Sunday, and I just think I'm going to keep running for 30 minutes and call it quits.

If I ever get the urge to run for longer, I may.. but right now a 30 minute 2-3 mile run is perfect for me!
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    There's a few options:

B27KB2B (Bed to 7K, Back to Bed- Similar to C25K, but you literally start and end each workout in your bed)
    CL28M (Chaise Lounge to 8 Mile - Endorsed by Eminem! Get your run on, yo! Word!)
    OTRATTWTGHWG (Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go - more of an off-trail program. Emphasis on family)

Hope that helps!

As a serious answer:

when I finished C25K, I just kept to the same workout schedule and started really trying to get my time down for the 5k. Some workouts I'd switch it up with a more distance, or a shorter distance but at a much faster pace. Just find whatever works for you and keeps you interested. Chart your progress! Seeing the numbers get better is a good motivator, since you're now past the "completed the workout without passing out" stage. :)
  • snailie
    snailie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What motivates you - do you want to run further? Do you want to stick to 5k races but get faster? etc.

If you want to run further then you'll need to have one run per week where you SLOWLY increase the distance/time on feet. Don't try to do too much too soon.... You could pick a 10k in a couple of months and aim for that. There are plenty of training programmes available free online, you don't need to spend any money. Try the programmes on the runners world website (Uk or US) or the running bug etc.

To get faster, then sooner or later you'll need to do speed work of some kind or another. Do some interval training, either with set time/distance fast then rest periods or as fartlek (pick a lamppost, speed up to it, slow down, pick another landmark and vary pace accordingly). As another poster said, variation is a really good thing - it teaches your body different things and keeps it interesting. Hill reps are always good - for both strength and cardio.

As for running every day - that's a personal choice. Cycling and swimming are good cardio substitutes if you want to do something to supplement running on 'non-run' days. Core work is good as it helps with running form when tired, strength and conditioning sessions are never a waste of time IMHO.

There are some beautiful places out there to explore on runs. Run on your own, with or without music, run with friends, join a running club... Keep it fun - you'll lose motivation the minute it becomes a chore :-)
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Keep running, I finished over 2 months ago and I just keep running a little further each week just like in the program. And like others have said find a 5K and sign up for it! Just to warn you though I was still not running a 5K by the end of the program because it goes by time not distance and I'm slow. I am running 4 miles every other day now though! Good luck!
  • emtrem
    emtrem Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for your helpful replies. Will look about for a 5k race near me, will keep me motivated. and swimming / cycling will keeps things more interesting on alternate days.

thankyou. x
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    if you like structure, here are some training plans
    http://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/