Starting my journey, have around 180+ to lose

Options
Elandri
Elandri Posts: 16 Member
This is very long, sorry! I just wanted to get everything out, make this new life and journey official for me!.

I am currently at my all time high in weight. I should get my scale tomorrow but last December I weighed 332lbs, and I probably gained more since my boyfriend and I got our own place and was able to do our own shopping. (Sure you know what that means)

A little about me, I'm 34 woman, only 5'3", never been skinny growing up. At 16 I weighed 171. I have had several children, in fact my oldest who is almost 18 is going to have a baby. (Yes I'm young to be a grandma, but will be in January.) With my daughter having a child, it kind of motivated me to get my health in shape for her, and my new grandchild. I am tired of being the fat mom and failure in every ones life.

I have dealt with severe depression, general and social anxiety, and I'm tired of it. (Only tried meds for anxiety, I hated it. So I kinda stuffed myself in a house and just coasted by in life. My love is my computer and games I play on it. 6 years ago I met my current boyfriend who helped my depression a lot. I moved from the West Coast to the East Coast to live with him and at first I got a job at a fast food place (Had been unemployed for 10 years prior) and worked there for 2 years, it barely got easier. After that I pretty much went back to my couch potato ways, Dealt with a couple medical problems, but those are resolved or getting better.

I do still have anxiety issues, (It's bad that I can't really call on the phone to order pizza or answer the door.) I think losing weight will help some of that, at least I hope.

As it is, by the time I was 30 I lost both my parents, in 2007 my mom passed away at 53 years old, and in late 2008 my dad passed at 57. And I'm way more over weight then both of them. I just don't smoke like they did. I want to be around longer for my children. I also do admit, I kinda want to see old friends and say "Ha, look at me." But purely I just want to look and feel good. I hate shopping for clothes, it's expensive and I just end up wearing my boyfriend's shirts anyways. (He is bigger then me)

Back in February this year we got a 8 week old Border Collie mix from a friend of his who had a dog with pups. We both knew she would require a lot of activity and she is about 8 months now. Our goal was to walk her together and get fit. I have taken her for walks, but usually I do it for 1 or 2 days and just walk around the apartment complex once or twice then come in. Luckily she has been a pretty low energy level to what I expected (She has energy, loves chasing the cats in the house. :P, just not as much as I was figuring she have.)

We the last 4 days now I have pushed myself and taken her out for a walk, deciding this time to get out of the complex and walk down the street. Found out it was 1 mile walk total, my puppy has loved it and I have felt better. I timed myself last night and it took me 23 mins to walk the mile. And that's with the puppy stopping now and then to sniff the grass or a bush. Hoping to get my boyfriend to join me now and then, but he works hard so wants to play his games when he gets home and days off.

Walking comes easily for me, I am having no problems with it. I even added extra excercise last night by doing that one walk at home work video I found looking through these forums. I lasted for the whole video surprisingly, yes it did wear me out a bit, but I enjoyed it. Tonight I tried that Jillian Michaels 30d Shred, okay I didn't make it throughout the video, but I did my best. I have always said "Today I'll start losing weight." And thinking what it'd be like in one year from now, but then I go back to snacking and playing games and not moving at all. (My prior activity was basic house cleaning, and grocery shopping every 2 weeks.) Nothing much other then that. I can tell you one thing, it feels GREAT to move around. When I'm finally awake, I just want to move move move. So I get off the computer often now and walk around and stretch a bit. I am thinking of changing the walk route to increase more time soon.

I guess now I just need encouragement to keep going. Right now it is a big hard because my sleep schedule is around 9-10am til 4-6pm.. Major insomnia and hard to break the pattern I'm on. But I find walking at 10pm and 5 am when it's dark and cool out helps with the summer heat, so I don't mind too much. Afterall I'm getting out, right!.

Anyways, thanks for reading my novel of a post, it just feels good to put something out there so I have something to look back on, because I WILL DO THIS!

Replies

• hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard but it's good that you started and it'll get easier to motivate yourself as you start seeing results and feeling better. Plus, I'm sure it'll help to see the fun your dog is having when you're talking longer walks with her. You can do it! :)
  • Elandri
    Options
    I know it's hard but it's good that you started and it'll get easier to motivate yourself as you start seeing results and feeling better. Plus, I'm sure it'll help to see the fun your dog is having when you're talking longer walks with her. You can do it! :)

Yes, exactly how I feel. I love watching my girl run around while I'm walking. I have one of those extended leashes so she can zig zag as she pleases. I only tighten it when cars are coming by for safety or people walk by as she'll try to jump on them for love. XD

Just yesterday I started looking for dog parks to take her to, I really want to do more outdoor activities. Problem is my boyfriend will have to drive us, I don't drive, and I don't know anything about where I live. I've been in Virginia for 5 years now and I barely know my way around the block. That's how much I isolated myself inside, plus I have no sense of direction. If I get turned around wrong I can get lost. :/

Overall, I am trying to get myself moving and my little Elly helps me with motivation because I have fun taking her with me.
  • veriddian
    veriddian Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You're really brave for posting about your experiences, it shows you have a lot of inner strength. What sort of games do you play? I'm a XBox360 girl myself :D

I hate talking to strangers too! I get my boyfriend to ring up for takeouts and cabs and I hide behind him when we go shopping. I'm pushing myself at the moment to do these things, baby steps.

It's great you're doing the workout DVDs and your dog will be fantastic motivation. I wonder if I can persuade my other half to let me have a pooch so I can take it for walks?!

Anyhow, hi and good luck!
  • Elandri
    Options
    You're really brave for posting about your experiences, it shows you have a lot of inner strength. What sort of games do you play? I'm a XBox360 girl myself :D

I hate talking to strangers too! I get my boyfriend to ring up for takeouts and cabs and I hide behind him when we go shopping. I'm pushing myself at the moment to do these things, baby steps.

It's great you're doing the workout DVDs and your dog will be fantastic motivation. I wonder if I can persuade my other half to let me have a pooch so I can take it for walks?!

Anyhow, hi and good luck!

I grew up as a console gamer, but played mostly RPGs. (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Warrior, Breath of Fire) etc.

As I started getting into computers I moved up to MMORPGS. I have played Everquest, Final Fantasy XI Online, Star Wars Galaxies. Aion etc.

Currently I play World of Warcraft (Yes the big named one :P) A little Diablo 3 now and then. I also play Sims 3 when not in the mood for RPGs.

Edit to Add: Actually our puppy was my boyfriend's Birthday present. I was never a dog person. (Was bitten in the face by a dog at 6 needing 17 stiches, surprisingly never afraid of them though) I love animals period though. Well I fell in love with Elly the first day we got her, she has been my new best friend. Even after I got a cat for my birthday, and now we got another kitty, Elly is still my favorite. Although I do love my kitties.
  • Elandri
    Options
    20120717_071116.jpg

I just wanted to post a pic of my puppy and motivator to keep walking. (okay I can't help but brag about my little baby XD)

This is Elly and Kyra my 2 and half year old cat we adopted from a shelter. (Had her four months now)

Hmm the picture seems really big and not fitting, how do I make it smaller?
  • julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with severe depression, general and social anxiety, and I'm tired of it. (Only tried meds for anxiety, I hated it. So I kinda stuffed myself in a house and just coasted by in life. My love is my computer and games I play on it. 6 years ago I met my current boyfriend who helped my depression a lot. I moved from the West Coast to the East Coast to live with him and at first I got a job at a fast food place (Had been unemployed for 10 years prior) and worked there for 2 years, it barely got easier. After that I pretty much went back to my couch potato ways, Dealt with a couple medical problems, but those are resolved or getting better.

I guess now I just need encouragement to keep going. Right now it is a big hard because my sleep schedule is around 9-10am til 4-6pm.. Major insomnia and hard to break the pattern I'm on. But I find walking at 10pm and 5 am when it's dark and cool out helps with the summer heat, so I don't mind too much. Afterall I'm getting out, right!.

Hi there, I just wanted to say well done for posting here and just saying I am willing to DO this! I am new to MFP but have lost 100 pounds in the last year by going to Overeaters Anonymous, that programme has saved my life and I am for ever grateful. I am using MFP to count my calories so I can keep a check on my portion sizes and also to remind myself I need to exercise too. I can identify with where you are now and just want to say hooray for you for being here. xx
  • dick01
    dick01 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Our pal, taking the first step is the hardest. May you have success and happiness on the next 10,000 steps a day. Exercise exercise should be our motto
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I agree with above - the first step is the hardest and you have ALREADY done that. It just gets easier here on out.

There are ALOT of people in this online community that will be here to motivate and inspire you :) so glad that I found this post so I can be one of them.

We can do this!!!!!!!!!
  • Elandri
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. I am excited to start this lifetime change. I hope to find people I can turn to on an off day. (Right now I'm pumped and want to just start running wild with this, but I know that I'll have bad days, but in the end that's what matters!)
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You are so much stronger and braver than you realize! Opening up the way you have and reaching out for help is proof positive! What an inspiration you are! :flowerforyou: You CAN and WILL reach your goals, and we will be here for you throughout your journey!

PS - You puppy is ADORABLE!!! I can see how she would be such a positive influence in your life!
  • rukus1
    rukus1 Posts: 112
    Options
    You're headed in the right directions. Congratulations! Why not use your gaming as a reward and limit its use to a couple of hours max..try some listening to some of your fav music while your walking it makes the time go by faster. You're setting a great example for your family..Good luck!
  • Elandri
    Options
    You're setting a great example for your family..Good luck!

It's great that you said that. My daughter is already as big as I was at her age and going to have her first child. I can see her doing everything I did at her age and her being as big as I am. It scares me, I don't want her to go through this. I already tried to tell her to walk everywhere she can while pregnant that it really does help labor. My second baby was so easy to deliver and that was when I walked everywhere. I never came out and said your fat, lose weight. I just told her now is the best time to stay active since she is young to keep herself healthy. But, as teenagers are, I know she let it go in one ear and out the other. So I hope as I start making progress it'll inspire her to not follow the same path I did. I don't want to see her waste 14 years hiding in a house because she is too scared to go out, meanwhile gaining more and more as time goes by.
  • thorpy6
    thorpy6 Posts: 48
    Options
    Hey, the best of luck with this journey. you really sound like you deserve to succeed and im sure with the great people on mfp around you, you will. best wishes ady
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just want to wish you luck....I just started this life change on July 1st and I have lost 21 pounds so far by watching what I eat and walking for an hour every single day. It's just one hour out of 24 is how I look at it. I wear a pedometer and make sure it hits 10,000 steps every day. I know you can do this and you will be so proud for having made a new life for you and your family. The puppy is so adorable....You got this!
  • Elandri
    Options
    Got my scale today, official Weight is 345. I knew I went up some after getting our new place, wasn't as bad as I expected. So now I drop them! My first mini goal is to get under 300.