Dare I say, I'm actually aiming to GAIN weight

Options
Most people struggle to lose weight, but I actually want to gain it. I've always been skinny and I suppose classified as 'underweight'. I'm 27 and weigh in at a mere 62,9kg's. If there are any other folks out there in the same boat as me, give me a shout- nice to chat about your experiences.

Replies

• jdixon101085
    Options
    Man I'm trying to gain as well I weigh 195 and I cnt gain for nothing
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Wish I could give you some of mine! Wouldn't that be awesome if we could just allocate all the fat in the world? We could have trade offs!

I was good friends with a guy a while back. He ate and ate and ate, and I dieted and dieted. He stayed the same, and is pretty close to the same still, 10 years later. I just got fatter.

Life is not FAIR!

I'd think that upping your protein and lifting weights may help with muscle mass, but other than that, I can't help ya.

Good luck though :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I don't want to gain, but really want to hear about healthy maintaining.. and my question is to you, how much do you need to gain?
  • PinkyFran
    Options
    G ood luck! gaining gain be as much as a struggle as losing!!!! i have a friend who is the same as you and she is managig to gain some slowly....her thryroid was under active have you had yours tested?
  • cuteypolice
    cuteypolice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know that when I am sick with my stomach and loose weight very quickly and a lot of it in a short amount of time and need to gain it back, ( which by the way is totally contradictory to what my goal is) I have to drink ensure and a lot of it. Try protein shakes to because I had to eat a lot of protein bars and protein shakes to put the weight back on. It took me about a month but I did it!!! You can too... and you will not look fat if you do it the correct way and work out. Good Luck
  • kellyemb
    kellyemb Posts: 18
    Options
    I would focus on muscle rather then fat!!! Eat a healthy diet with lots of proteins and good fats ( like olive oil, avacado, salmon, etc) then hit the gym and see what a trainer might recommend for you!!!
  • cuteypolice
    cuteypolice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading your ticker correctly you lost 112lbs that's awesome!!! and something to be so proud of...
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who needs to gain weight due to an eating disorder (not saying you have one, obv.).
    She went to a dietician via her doctor and received an eating plan.

She showed me the plan, but all I remember was lots of protein and lots of porridge.

Maybe you should ask a dietician as well?

Definitely make sure you mainly gain muscle and not just fat, though. A little bit of fat is healthy, but too much is bad for you.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I hope you achieve your weight.. MFP is for EVERYONE!!!!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    G ood luck! gaining gain be as much as a struggle as losing!!!! i have a friend who is the same as you and she is managig to gain some slowly....her thryroid was under active have you had yours tested?

I think you are a bit confused. An underactive thyroid is where you gain weight because the gland that secretes the hormone that controls various functions, is not producing enough of it thus everything slows down. An overactive thyroid is the opposite and can cause weight loss.
  • janglecat
    Options
    I am not trying to gain but am trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle after losing 30 pounds. This is my 2nd attempt and I've found I tried to lose too much the first time and had trouble kicking myself out of the losing habit ending up putting on weight again. I've been advised to increase protein and whole grains to maintain my weight. It is the same for gaining just more. It works for me to increase a little each day with an extra snack rather than increase meal size or do a weekly treat day. It depends how you eat. I have to check more frequently than 1 a week. Anyhow, this time it has been maintenance for 4 months so hopefully I will continue to do it this time. You could also add protein powder to smoothies or buy premade.... that adds a few hundred each day easily.
  • PinkyFran
    Options

I think you are a bit confused. An underactive thyroid is where you gain weight because the gland that secretes the hormone that controls various functions, is not producing enough of it thus everything slows down. An overactive thyroid is the opposite and can cause weight loss.

your quite right, large typo there from me...maybe my brain is underactive lol! :)
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your endeavour! My sister in law has always been on a gain diet due to high metabolism. People can be cruel to underweight people and that doen't help her with her self image.

Eating often and packing in the "good fat" calories usually helps. This way you don't get too full. Some peole put a couple of globs of coconut oil in their morning smoothies.

My sister in law eats high cal power bars throughout the day.

I wish MFP had a "gain" ticker for those who need to gain :-)
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Good luck getting to your healthy weight.
  • gemmalianne84
    Options
    Being underweight its just as dangerous as being overweight so its great that you want to help yourself :) good luck. Eat raisins lol
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to gain some lean muscle mass over the next 4-5 months myself. I want to compete in a figure competition, and I would feel better about it if I had a little more upper body mass.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If I had to gain weight...I'd eat a lot of peanut butter.

Please eat all you want for me!
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My husband has issues with maintaining weight. He can only do 10 min cardio before hitting the weights really hard. Plus lots of protein and weight gainer smoothies in between meals. Careful not to eat just crap though. His cholesterol is high now so you have to be careful with that!
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    My son is on here to gain weight as well. He is 21 and 6'2". He was about 145 pounds a few months ago before using MFP and weight training. He is now about 175 and looks so much better. He drinks a lot of protein shakes and takes a muscle building supplement from GNC (heck he basically lives in their store and the Vitamin Shoppe). He is also concetrating on eating high protein (but low fat and low sugar) foods. His plan is working for him very well. He wants to major in sports nutrition so he seems to understand what needs to be done to accomplish his goal of gaining weight without becoming fat or super bulky (he is a small framed man so he would never be super bulky anyway).
    Hope this helps and good luck on your journey!
  • Alexcon85
    Options
    I'm looking to move from 62.9 up to 70kg's. It's really arbitrary. I've never weighed as much as 70 so psychologically it will be a big milestone for me.