There are 2 blocks of fois gras in my fridge

Options

Replies

• KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    "foie gras" means "fat liver".

I lived in France and although I've only tried it once (not a big fan of liver...) I have to say that in the European Union (AND in France - which is a member) it is FORBIDDEN to produce the liver the way you describe it. Nobody is forcefed. The goose eat how much they want (and they usually overeat, which makes the liver fat).

The only Western (!) country I know that allowed forcefeeding with tubes of animals until very recently (they forbid it in California, righ?) was the United States!

Just saying. In the EU it's been forbidden for years!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    you do realize the torture they put the animals through to create this product right?
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    yes, seared on top of steak, or a burger, or a pate with crackers...... yum
    and unfourtunately I tried some before I heard about the feeding process, so I have to contend with my concience fighting against how good it is, tho there are some places that treat their animals humanely
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Go watch some videos on those poor geese and ducks being force fed grain with a funnel so that their liver bloats to make this 'delicacy', makes most people feel sick enough not to eat it!

While you are at it, stop eating beef, veal, chicken, pork...oh and plants are living creatures too...

Sorry, but this annoys me. While yes, there are always bad examples out there, there are plenty of good ones as well. I know of what I speak, as I own a cattle farm. My cows are fat and happy and never injected, force fed, or penned. My neighbors have the fattest, happiest, most spoiled pigs I have ever seen, and like our cows, they live on hundreds of acres and have all the sex they want.

Besides, we are onmivores (hence we have canines), and meat tastes good.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Well you get to pay extra money for the liver from a duck that had a feeding tube forced down its throat repeatedly through its short life as more food than the bird wants is shoved into its stomach to fatten the liver. Then as the feeding tube is removed the throat and esophagus is scratched, leading the already abused animal open to infection and even more suffering.

Enjoy paying to support such a cruel practice!

I am not a vegetarian, but I only eat meat grown locally and not factory farmed*

:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • JDUR19
    JDUR19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So my (french) husband asked one of his work colleagues to get him some fois gras when he was back in France on hols. We now have 2 rather fab blocks of rather fab fois gras in the fridge, waiting to be started this coming weekend.

My problem is knowing when to stop. It's soooooo bad for you. I'll have just a small bit then go for a run later that night. Good plan??? LOL.

Oh lord, why are the bad things for you soooooo tasty!????? Not fair.

Nice piece of Steak cooked Rare, A medallion of fois Gras on top just warmed and either some french beans or some tenderstem broccoli, A meal for a king (or queen)!

Ah, Steak Rossini! A beautiful dish!
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    you do realise the torture they put the animals through to create this product right?

They had to stop water-boarding the ducks, they all swam off!:bigsmile:
  • wendye1960
    wendye1960 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    All the morality of how it is produced aside I would say cut some small pieces off to the calorie limit you can afford to include in your plan, wrap and freeze them and leave the rest for your husband and family. Then you can enjoy it in smaller amounts.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    im of the PERSONAL OPINION that being at the top of the food chain means we get to eat any animal we want. Swim in the ocean and we're not the top- a shark can munch on you all the same...

About the Foie Gras- I too love liver of all kinds but know its tres bad for me. If that was my foie gras Id cook it how I like it- along with other liked items and have a BIT- not a ton- not my usual amt. just enough to enjoy it. Getting a work out should just be part of the daily routine so youve got the extra calories right?

As for torturing the ducks- I wonder who figured this out- that if we treat animals as bad as we possible can (think veal also ) it will taste even better ??? Ive had foie gras a scant few times in my life- not sure its worth supporting, in spite of the fact I really have ZERO qualms about eating any meat.
  • geegig59
    geegig59 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What is the name of your farm? I would love to purchase some meat from healthy animals.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Go watch some videos on those poor geese and ducks being force fed grain with a funnel so that their liver bloats to make this 'delicacy', makes most people feel sick enough not to eat it!

While you are at it, stop eating beef, veal, chicken, pork...oh and plants are living creatures too...

Sorry, but this annoys me. While yes, there are always bad examples out there, there are plenty of good ones as well. I know of what I speak, as I own a cattle farm. My cows are fat and happy and never injected, force fed, or penned. My neighbors have the fattest, happiest, most spoiled pigs I have ever seen, and like our cows, they live on hundreds of acres and have all the sex they want.

You are the only one saying not to eat meat in this thread. No one else evem mentioned it. I do not eat factory farmed meat and don't think anyone should. I am that person putting money into local farms. Your welcome.
  • mcrowe1016
    Options
    im of the PERSONAL OPINION that being at the top of the food chain means we get to eat any animal we want. Swim in the ocean and we're not the top- a shark can munch on you all the same...

About the Foie Gras- I too love liver of all kinds but know its tres bad for me. If that was my foie gras Id cook it how I like it- along with other liked items and have a BIT- not a ton- not my usual amt. just enough to enjoy it. Getting a work out should just be part of the daily routine so youve got the extra calories right?

As for torturing the ducks- I wonder who figured this out- that if we treat animals as bad as we possible can (think veal also ) it will taste even better ??? Ive had foie gras a scant few times in my life- not sure its worth supporting, in spite of the fact I really have ZERO qualms about eating any meat.

Once again, who said that we shouldn't eat meat? Everyone is saying that you shouldn't eat tortured birds.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
  • mcrowe1016
    Options
    "foie gras" means "fat liver".

I lived in France and although I've only tried it once (not a big fan of liver...) I have to say that in the European Union (AND in France - which is a member) it is FORBIDDEN to produce the liver the way you describe it. Nobody is forcefed. The goose eat how much they want (and they usually overeat, which makes the liver fat).

The only Western (!) country I know that allowed forcefeeding with tubes of animals until very recently (they forbid it in California, righ?) was the United States!

Just saying. In the EU it's been forbidden for years!

I can't find anything to verify this, though I hope it is true. Can you link to any articles? Thanks.
  • redheaddee
    Options

You are the only one saying not to eat meat in this thread. No one else evem mentioned it. I do not eat factory farmed meat and don't think anyone should. I am that person putting money into local farms. Your welcome.

It's called sarcasm, honey. YOU'RE welcome.
  • redheaddee
    Options
    What is the name of your farm? I would love to purchase some meat from healthy animals.

We are in SC, here in Gamecock Country :smile:
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    i love foie gras so much that I wouldn't be able to control myself. Luckily, it is so fatty that a small portion seems to satisfy me. Can I come over?
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Clearly you don't understand the process of making foie gras.. the geese HAVE to be force fed through a tube and have their liver explode whilst they are alive for the product to be made.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Think you ought to be ashamed of yourself for not considering the outrageous medieval practice that produces this product and also for promoting and normalising the concept of foie gras on an internet forum. Selfish.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    How is liver bad for you? Have you looked up the nutrient composition for liver? Offal is sooooooooooooooo healthy and good for you. (Animal fat is very very good for you)

I won't touch fois gras for the reason given...but try a grilled bacon-wrapped chicken liver (from happy pastured chickens that get to eat bugs and insects) - YUM!!

And yes, the geese are force fed grain to fatten up their liver...think about what those grains do to our liver. It's not their natural diet and it isn't our natural diet either.
    Funny how they also use grain to fatten up cattle before slaughter. And they can only feed them grain for the last few months because it makes them sick (not their natural diet either). If they were fed grain from the beginning they wouldn't make it to slaughter - they would die beforehand.

If you choose to eat fois gras that is your perogative. You should not be condemned for making that choice.