Almost cried at work today...

Options
I've had a pretty rough day today. As soon as I got in the office, my boss' boss dumped a huge presentation on me - that I have to present TOMORROW MORNING (after being in meetings all day today)! That is on top of the presentation that my boss told me about yesterday afternoon that is also due tomorrow and even more complex. So needless to say, I was stressed.

Then this afternoon, I talked to one of my clients on the phone who I haven't seen in a few months. She said she got our Christmas card (our company sent e-cards with pictures of our team to our clients) and then asked me if I had something to tell her. I told her no, nothing I can think of and she said "YOU'RE PREGNANT, RIGHT?!?" She sounded so excited and she wasn't kidding. In fact, when I told her no, she thought I was kidding. When she finally believed me, she apologized profusely, but then added that everyone here thought that and she started naming people who had said the same thing! She even said she thought I was several months along and that everyone in her office was mad because I hadn't told them.

I was pretty devastated (still am) :cry: My weight loss goal is about 10 pounds right now, but now I feel like I should re-evaluate after that. I should be working on those presentations right now, but I can't stop thinking about it. My husband basically told me to get over it and not worry about it. I'm trying, but its hard to forget...

Sorry for the long post - just needed to vent.

Replies

• Jenna1972
    Jenna1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here, so I don't walk to talk out of turn...

But forget them! I know it's easier said than done. Don't let these people interfere with your evening...heck your job. Just flush them. Every time that sad thought gets into your head, acknowledge it and then tell yourself one good thing that can come of this.

I am the flip side of that coin. I posted a few days ago that my motivation was I realized I preferred people to think I was pregnant. I'd rather them think that than that I'm fat! Find a way to laugh about it. If you just can't, ask your dh to find the humor for you. My dh is great for finding the funny side... good luck on your presentation. I would bring it up as an icebreaker!!! Haha can you sey their faces if you started that way? "Hello... welcome to the presentation on ___. To answer the most common question you all have, no I'm not pregnant. But if you want to start an office pool to guess the delivery date, go ahead. I most definitely will win that money. Don't make me pee on a stick to prove it!!! You will be embarassed more than I."
  • nogaks
    nogaks Posts: 5
    Options
    Oh, that is incredibly insensitive of her! I don't know what to say to make you feel better, but here is something to think of: you are getting in shape and that is awesome to even start on that journey. Also, I think that is great that you have set a goal that is attainable.

Maybe you'll find that 10 lbs lighter, you look and feel amazing (you probably know that muscle weighs more than fat, so 10 lbs might do it!). Maybe you'll find that you would like to lose 5 more.

I don't know which way it will go, but I know that if you stick with your original goal and reach it, you will be more ready and motivated to stay where you're at, or keep going and be at your personal best!
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    Thank you guys for your kind words. It felt so much better just writing it down and I was able to get working on my presentation.

Jenna - you're so funny! :laugh: I think I may use that at the beginning of my presentation (especially seeing as how almost everyone in my office heard me on the phone with her so they know)! Thanks for the tip!
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    wow I can't believe that woman!!!! I too would be soo upset. That is so rude that she went on and on about it. I am so sorry you had to listen to that. However, I think you look GREAT!!! You look so skinny in your profile picture. I think those people are crazy. Don't let it get you down.:flowerforyou:
  • Jenbabe402
    Options
    It sounds as though work is getting very stressful, and it seems that your well-being is not taken into consideration by your co-workers and superiors. Have you ever considered that you might be better than a position where you are being under appreciated? The only way to make a positive change 100% in your life is to only surround yourself with opportunities to be appreciated and show your full potential. If your self-esteem is taking blows at work that will not be able to happen.
  • Jenbabe402
    Options
    P.S. You really do not look pregnant- that woman probably needs glasses or is just all around nutty.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    first, unless that profile pic is ancient, I can't imagine someone would say something like that, You look fine, great in fact! It always baffles me how people feel the need to say things like that. I mean, seriously, have a tiny bit of control people!

Anyway, I feel your pain. What you described at your work is what happens to me on almost a weekly basis. I run a production (which means clients actively use our website) IT environment for a very complex business to business applications/hardware suite.
    The powers above me love to make deals with customer for hundreds of thousands of dollars, without consulting me or the other people who actually build the stuff. Which means they promise dates, set expectations, and say yes to things before they know whether we can deliver them or not. Needless to say, we spend a lot of time saying: "YOU TOLD THEM WHAT??? By Friday? That's impossible, we don't even have the equipment to do that!" so I hear ya on the presentation thing. In fact, I suspect in my 11:00 am meeting today, my boss will ask me to present to our whole team, without asking me before hand. I'm kind of used to it now, so I already have things in my head, but it's frustrating and stressful. Just remember, a job is a job, life comes first. Set their expectations that, yes you will do the presentations, but remind them that with the amount of prep time you have, it won't be as good as it otherwise would be, and it's unreasonable for them to require this type of work in the future.

I've found that bosses tend to not realize that things take time, research and development (even of a presentation) take time, and it takes more time than just slapping together a powerpoint and a bunch of slides!.

anyway, best of luck to you. (sorry for the length, you've touched a sore point for me. :tongue: )

-Banks
  • ActSingMom
    ActSingMom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds like tough day, and the universe just sent you 2 major reasons to get to a gym!

Good luck with your presentation. And you next 3 workouts.:wink::wink:
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean - for a while there, my job also felt like I was performing at the Improv!! Ya gotta laugh about it and just keep going!

As to the pregnancy thing - I just can't believe what a lack of tact and common sense that woman has! Even if she did wonder if you were pregnant, she should have never, ever said anything. Blow her off as a one-time brainless annoyance. Your profile photo looks great, so just keep on going:flowerforyou: and know that we're all here behind you!!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    First - I agree with Banks. You look great! Second - It blows my mind how many times this issue comes up. WHY would ANYONE ever assume that a woman is pregnant and then make a point to "congratulate" them. That's just ignorance. And it seems to happen all the time! At our company Christmas party this year, one of our electricians wives patted my coworker on the belly and congratulated her on the bun in the oven... as my coworker stood there with a beer in her hand! REALLY?!? Yeah - I'm pregnant - Chug-a-lug!!! Some people :mad:

Good luck to you on your presentation(s) and your fitness goals! Hope you have a better day.:flowerforyou:
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, I can relate. My son is 2 but I still have a post baby paunch and believe you me, more than once I've been congratulated on my second pregnancy. Instead of going home and eating ten Oreos, I am now using it as motivation to get myself in shape. Don't let it get you down!
  • Jenna1972
    Jenna1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So how did the presentation go? I bet you kicked butt and belly!!! Bad joke, I know...but that's how I roll...
    Hugs and here's to a good weekend!
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Sorry but you dont look anywhere near anyone mistaken you for being pregnant. The only thought that comes to my mind is she's not a very nice person and maybe isnt very fond of you and did it on purpose. Sorry...but she didnt have to continue on and rub in the OTHERS that thought the same thing. I bet you SHE started the conversation off with the others by saying.."dont she look pregnant?" and she probably kept going on and on about it and probably they said..Yeah I guess she does. Could also be what ever you had on..but I just cant imagine YOU being mistaken for pregnant. She just sounds like a very unhappy person and she did it on purpose. I could be wrong and it just could be the outfit you had on but again, once you said you werent she didnt have to tell you of all the others that thought so too. Im sure she convinced them.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Sorry but you dont look anywhere near anyone mistaken you for being pregnant. The only thought that comes to my mind is she's not a very nice person and maybe isnt very fond of you and did it on purpose. Sorry...but she didnt have to continue on and rub in the OTHERS that thought the same thing. I bet you SHE started the conversation off with the others by saying.."dont she look pregnant?" and she probably kept going on and on about it and probably they said..Yeah I guess she does. Could also be what ever you had on..but I just cant imagine YOU being mistaken for pregnant. She just sounds like a very unhappy person and she did it on purpose. I could be wrong and it just could be the outfit you had on but again, once you said you werent she didnt have to tell you of all the others that thought so too. Im sure she convinced them.

I agree completely! No decent person would go on and on after you said you weren't.. actually they wouldn't mention it in the first place! Some people are just jealous/mean! Judging by the nature of how she said what she did, I'd have to say it was just a way to get at you (or she IS a nut for sure lol). Regardless, just use that as motivation! Good luck reaching your goals!
  • Lisa0711
    Options
    Oops.. double post!
  • Lisa0711
    Options
    no.. triple post.:embarassed: I don't know what's going on with my computer! It's so slow and it's throwing me off... gosh lol.
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the kind posts! The profile picture is from June and I was probably about 5-10 pounds lighter than I am now. I think I'm finally over the comment (or at least I'm not thinking about it). She is actually a very sweet lady, but sometimes a little ummm...ditsy and I really don't think she meant anything by it. And actually, it has helped me focus a little more on eating healthy and working out. Since then I haven't had any sweets and I worked out yesterday and today for 45 minutes each on my elliptical (I usually only go for 30).

My presentation went well (although I had to stay up until 2 am creating it) - thanks for asking! Of course, it might have seemed better to me because I was sleep deprived! :laugh:

Banks - I can totally relate! I am in implementations for a software company (Software as a Service) and we are constantly saying to the sales guys "You told them we can do what?!?" And I know our developers get the same thing from our higher ups "Just get it done!".
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    Something like this kind of happened to me, but in a different way.

I am a teacher, and one of the students asked me if I had my baby. I was confused because my son in now 4 years old. I didn't know what he was talking about. Then he said, you're skinnier now. I figured out that before I lost my weight, he thought I was pregnant, not just fat. It was a definite wake up call.

Although it felt good to know I look much better now, it made me think...how bad did I look before?