is it possible?

Options

Replies

• SelenityJ
    SelenityJ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 30 lbs in the same time frame you're wanting to lose 40lbs. I've done it by eating healthy and putting in healthy snack options to eat and following the Harcombe diet. I also exercise multiple times per day and drink alot of water. I've completely cut out soda from my diet and unless that is the only thing to drink I do not drink it.

The first 30 out of 135 to lose are very different than 40 to goal. Its like comparing the first 2 minutes and the last 2 minutes of a football game.

She asked if it was possible to lose an x amount of weight. I replied with my experience in losing a number close to the amount she wants to lose and cited healthful ways to do so.

Also, the way you phrased that... it felt as if you were making light of how much weight I lost in the amount of time that I have as if it was easy.

It was hard to lose as much as I was. Granted I saw great results the first month but the second month was much harder and now it's really hard. I got used to seeing alot of weight coming off in the beginning and at this point it's pretty much stable at an average of 2lbs a month.

And before people go that's unhealthy with how you did it. A doctor supervised the amount of weight I was loosing and has said I am doing well. Some of the reason why she thinks my weight loss is slowing down is the strength training and toning exercises I have been doing and that I've lost more fat weight but have added some muscle weight to it.

Edit-
    Also try drinking water when you think you're having hunger pains. I've noticed that sometimes I confuse hunger pains with thirst pains and while my body is telling me that it's thirsty I'm giving it food instead of water.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You look awful thin to lose that much weight that fast.

Why don't you go on a reasonable calorie restriction diet and do a lot of exercise to change your SIZE and not your WEIGHT? Healthier long term and you can keep going after Halloween.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 30 lbs in the same time frame you're wanting to lose 40lbs. I've done it by eating healthy and putting in healthy snack options to eat and following the Harcombe diet. I also exercise multiple times per day and drink alot of water. I've completely cut out soda from my diet and unless that is the only thing to drink I do not drink it.

The first 30 out of 135 to lose are very different than 40 to goal. Its like comparing the first 2 minutes and the last 2 minutes of a football game.

She asked if it was possible to lose an x amount of weight. I replied with my experience in losing a number close to the amount she wants to lose and cited healthful ways to do so.

Also, the way you phrased that... it felt as if you were making light of how much weight I lost in the amount of time that I have as if it was easy.

It was hard to lose as much as I was. Granted I saw great results the first month but the second month was much harder and now it's really hard. I got used to seeing alot of weight coming off in the beginning and at this point it's pretty much stable at an average of 2lbs a month.

And before people go that's unhealthy with how you did it. A doctor supervised the amount of weight I was loosing and has said I am doing well. Some of the reason why she thinks my weight loss is slowing down is the strength training and toning exercises I have been doing and that I've lost more fat weight but have added some muscle weight to it.

Your Dr. is right. You are probably putting on muscle mass which is good in the long run. And I don't think she was attacking you, I think she was just trying to point out that weight comes off at different rates depending on your starting point and how far along in your journey.

Great job tho. :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Initial weight loss is mostly water. Of that 10lbs you lost, probably 7 was water. You couldn't keep that speed up for 2 months. without some sort of medical intervention.
    percentweightloss.jpg

I love that picture, thank you for reposting it. I'd been looking for it. It also explains why earlier in my weight loss I had a lot more 'bounce' when I was under my calories. Now if I am consistently under I can seriously feel it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I really want to lost 40 pounds by halloween. Like I REALLY want too. Any ideas how many calories id need to burn a day or per week, and how much I should eat a day to achieve the goal? I weigh 206 right now by the way and I'm 54".

Anything is possible. It's highly unlikely.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Judging by OPs face in her pic i'm wondering if she really has a lot to lose.

The leaner you are the harder it is to get rid of the weight.

OP!

Stats?

Weight
    Body Fat%
  • nisia915
    nisia915 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really want to lost 40 pounds by halloween. Like I REALLY want too. Any ideas how many calories id need to burn a day or per week, and how much I should eat a day to achieve the goal? I weigh 206 right now by the way and I'm 54".

Muscle weighs more than fat! I gained weight before I ever lost any. The more muscle you have (theoretically) the more calories you burn.

Honestly though I lost about 17pounds in 6weeks with the help of my doctor and weekly visits. It can be done but you need determination and a strict diet and exercise regime
  • grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    absolutely you can lose 40 by thanksgiving. that 2 pounds a week crap doesn't apply to those that have more to lose and the first part of the weight will come off much faster than the latter half. with nothing but eating healthy and light exercise, usually half hour a day, I have lost over 50 in the same timeframe, nothing unhealthy about it
  • rml_16
    Options
    absolutely you can lose 40 by thanksgiving. that 2 pounds a week crap doesn't apply to those that have more to lose and the first part of the weight will come off much faster than the latter half. with nothing but eating healthy and light exercise, usually half hour a day, I have lost over 50 in the same timeframe, nothing unhealthy about it

She said Halloween.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Well with the date, its bc I wanna look hot for halloween lol. I know any will be grea, but I really have my heart set on a one costume. Also I knew I would hve people saying it wasn't healthy. I'm sure I won't lose that much weight, but that's my goal! Lol.

Not by Halloween, but find yourself a good Masquerade Ball for New Years and you're there. When I first went on the South Beach eating plan I lost 2-2.5 lbs per week with good eating and working out.

Based on your profile pic, though, I'm thinking what you really want is something to slim up what you already have. Maybe try something more for shaping than for losing. Have you considered Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30? I've seen amazing shape results from those! Also Team Beachbody has some incredible 6 week programs that might be just what you're looking for, too. Slim in 6 and others are designed to work you out so those problem areas are worked off. If what you want is to look hot, consider a really good workout program rather than numbers on a scale.

HTH
  • grimsin
    Options
    OP said 5'4 206
  • grimsin
    Options

She said Halloween.

lol, prob not then, my bad :)
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can lose that weight by Halloween. The problem is you'll put it all back on and then some by next Halloween. Look at yourself in the mirror right now and then ask yourself if you want this to be your "skinny look" in the not so distant future.
  • julianatalie
    Options
    You look good now. Don't do anything drastic x
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

OP!

Stats?

Weight
    Body Fat%

I don't know her BF%, but:
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 206
  • Sarahbearah05
    Options
    Well with the date, its bc I wanna look hot for halloween lol. I know any will be grea, but I really have my heart set on a one costume. Also I knew I would hve people saying it wasn't healthy. I'm sure I won't lose that much weight, but that's my goal! Lol.
    So, why ask the question if you don't care about the answers?:huh:
    I do care about he answers! I was just afraid id get the responses I have. Lol. I wish it was possible, now that I know its not. I will be setting my goals a bit lower and just see where I am at halloween :) my long tern goals will stay though :)
  • Sarahbearah05
    Options

OP!

Stats?

Weight
    Body Fat%

I don't know her BF%, but:
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 206
    thank you. Lol. So I definitely do have quite a bit of weight to shed, I actually just posted a pictue of my body in my pics section that way I can see the differences, gotta start somewhere! :) oh yah and its a picture of just my face for a reason lol
  • rml_16
    Options
    So, why ask the question if you don't care about the answers?:huh:
    I do care about he answers! I was just afraid id get the responses I have. Lol. I wish it was possible, now that I know its not. I will be setting my goals a bit lower and just see where I am at halloween :) my long tern goals will stay though :)

It's never a good idea to set a specific time limit on weight loss goals. The goals you should be setting are things like that you will exercise a certain amount each week or set a limit on "treats" each week -- things you can control. Maybe have a reward system in place that if you achieve those set goals you get something like a new piece of clothing or a massage so that you're always working towards something.

If you do that, you will lose the most weight you possibly can without starving yourself.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I think it would be far more sensible to get started on a slower weight loss track and plan on wearing that costume next year. Why put all the pressure on yourself, and stress on your body?
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    What kind of costume is it? Is it feasible to get someone to make you one similar or modify it to fit, regardless of what you lose between now and then?