Breakfast good or bad

Options
I know this may sound like a dumb question but I have a peanut butter sandwich alot in the mornings is that good or bad? I am trying to switch up what I am eating I have been on here for 8 months and I have lost and gained it all back so here I am again not giving up on myself! I need help with like what is good for breakfast and lunch

Replies

• southernGIRLgetsFIT
    southernGIRLgetsFIT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It isn't bad. Maybe switch to wheat bread and natural peanut butter. Also add in a fruit if you can!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a PB sandwich for breakfast. '

If you want to switch it up, you could do a veggie omelet or oatmeal with fruit, or anything really.

But if you like PB sandwiches and they keep you satisfied, there is no reason to give that up.
  • marielw
    marielw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not sure. It doesn't sound particularly healthy. Isn't there a lot of calories in peanut butter?

Don't you like cereal? Or just brown bread toast? Or berries and low fat yogurt?

I'm a bit boring with my breakfasts and mostly have bran flakes with skimmed milk. Lunch (when at work) is usually rice cakes/crackers with low fat cheese spread and marmite.

:flowerforyou:
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It's not a dumb question! It's important to be aware of what you're fueling your body with and it's something that lots of us struggle with. There's a lot of variables in a peanut butter sandwich - type of bread, type of peanut butter, how much etc. All natural peanut butter would be better for you than Jif or Peter Pan for example and the darker the bread, the better it is so rye is better than whole wheat which is better than white. Also, how much peanut butter you're using matters too.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    As long as you track it correctly, there is nothing wrong with a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast, I'd say maybe throw in an apple or something with it and it would be a great breakfast, then maybe a salad with grilled chicken for lunch and if you're hungry in between have some almonds, yogurt, or fruit for a snack
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound like a dumb question but I have a peanut butter sandwich alot in the mornings is that good or bad? I am trying to switch up what I am eating I have been on here for 8 months and I have lost and gained it all back so here I am again not giving up on myself! I need help with like what is good for breakfast and lunch

Good or bad really depends on your entire diet and not singular food items.

If you're eating ONLY peanut butter sandwhiches all day, that's probably not good.
    If you're eating a PB+J as a part of a nutrient rich diet, you're totally fine.
  • bigjoe02
    Options
    WHEAT BREAD TURNS TO SUGAR YOU NEED WHOLE OAT BREAD & NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER, TRY APPLE BUTTER?
  • myriahj84
    Options
    It depends on the type of peanut butter. I buy Whole Foods 365 peanut butter because it does not have any added sugars. If you are eating peanut butters like Jif and Skippy then you shoud look into buying an all natural version instead. You should also look into eating a better variety of foods so you will have more options for breakfast. I used to eat oatmeal every morning, it's a good breakfast but it gets old after a while. Now I drink protein shakes because it helps with weight loss and it has the right amount of carbs and protein for me. You should do a Google search for a macronutrient calculator to see what you should eat every day. A diet that is comprised of 80% protein will have different results compared to a 80% carb diet. I hope this helps!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    breakfast isn't good or bad. it's like the Force; it's how you use it. you're either a Jedi, or a Sith.
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like to toast my bread first and I LOVE Smuckers Natural Crunchy peanut better. The ingredients is just peanuts and salt. No sugar. Check your ingredients for sugar or corn syrup. I agree with what someone else said about whole wheat bread. Other than that, it sounds fine. A lot of good protein in peanut butter. Watch the fat, though.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose, does it fit in your calorie budget, provide enough nutrients, and keep you satisfied until your next planned meal or snack?

Peanut butter is a high calorie source of protein; eggs are (IMHO) more efficient on that front.
  • sierrajade2012
    Options
    just make sure you arent using TOO MUCH peanut butter, I know it can be easy to load up on peanut butter!! but even just 3tbsp of peanut butter has almost 300 calories!!!!! and I agree with the part about natural peanut butter-it tastes sooo much better and is wayy better for you!! I like to add some banana to my peanut butter sandwiches:)
  • ninamariesanchez
    Options
    Thanx everyone! I do eat jiffy peanut butter and wonde rbread whole wheat so I will do some switching up. And I will add a fruit! I was asking because I was kind of thinking that peanut butter was unhealthy! I dont know to much about healthy foods I have always ate very fatty things and lots of processed foods.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sidesteal

In the context of an otherwise balanced diet, it doesn't matter.

Don't miss the forest for the tree.
  • np11073
    np11073 Posts: 30
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good source of protein but does also have a fair amount of fat. The killer is the bread...80-100 calories per slice. My typical breakfast consists of egg beaters with grilled vegetables and baco bits, 1/2 cup fiber cereal and 8 oz almond milk....about 190 calories. Some people like oatmeal. The key for me is getting in my morning workout before breakfast. Feel free free to add me as a friend. We have a few things in common. Praise be to the Lord! :smile:
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I think counting it into your calorie allowance, eating on whole grain bread and keeping it to just one would be fine. I also try to only eat 1 tablespoon of pb when I make them.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    WHEAT BREAD TURNS TO SUGAR YOU NEED WHOLE OAT BREAD & NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER, TRY APPLE BUTTER?

All bread turns to sugar. Breads are carbs. Carbs convert to glucose whether they are whole oats or wheat. As do the carbs in peanutbutter and the carbs in apple butter.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Good or bad really depends on your entire diet and not singular food items.

If you're eating ONLY peanut butter sandwhiches all day, that's probably not good.
    If you're eating a PB+J as a part of a nutrient rich diet, you're totally fine.

Yup! Sidesteal hit it!
  • ninamariesanchez
    Options
    You know it does keep me going till lunch but I didnt know if having it every day is good. I was eating oatmeal but I got tired of it really quick.
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is absorbed by the body slowly, it is a GREAT protein, I've a friend who eats 2tbs every morning when she wants to lose 5#'s...with having diabetes, I eat a PB&J when I know it's gonna be awhile before I get a meal and/or after strenuous exercise. Just watch the added salt and sugar.