KT Tape. Yes or no?

Options
I've been thinking about trying this out. I get shin splints pretty bad when i run and i have a bad ankle already. I wasn't sure if this helped running or not. I would be able to go longer paces if my shins/calfs/and ankle didnt go out. I know part of it is building strength back up into it, but im looking for something to help me build it up w/o killing me everytime.

so whose used this stuff? where'd you get it from and what part of your body did you use it on? Did it work?

-Jpaw

Replies

• coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! It helps me tremendously. I get terrible shin splints and I also have bursitis in my right knee and the pain is minimal to gone when I use this tape. I put it on every time I am going to do any plyo/high impact type workouts. Also provides great support. Highly recommend it!

Tip: Key is in the stretch. You can go to KT tapes's webpage and watch a video on how to apply the tape. They have a separate video specifically for whatever body part you need it for.

Hope this helps!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It really does help. I have tendinitis in both elbows and while it's bearable, I noticed a total difference when I used it. The problem with it IMO is that like other "supports" it becomes a crutch. In other words, some won't work out at all if they don't have it, or their workouts are less effective unless they are using it. And you do want to try to strengthen the areas where you are weak.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!! I have a friend who is a PT and SWEARS by it!! He uses it and his wife uses it!! I have JUST found out about it in the past 2 weeks...and I soooo want to get some.
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oh, you can get it from any sports store like Academy, D*ck's (MFP thinks this word is naughty) or Sports Authority (assuming you have one where you live) or you can buy online in - Amazon sells it.
  • dualcollision
    dualcollision Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure about the ankle then maybe an elastic wrap around it, My left ankle and knee tend to hurt, and I use to get shin splints. What I did is I'd take a aspirin or something like it for the pain, started taking a daily vitamin and just jog long distances til I felt i was going to fall over, but at a slow jog pace. It sounds dumb, but eventually the shin splints went away. I use to be only to jog 1/4 a mile, now i can jog 2.5 miles and it only took 5 months, which isn't that long. each mile takes me a little under 10 mins unless i try ot go father than 2.5 then my times goes up a little to about 10 mins. I hope this helps.
  • sdleeper
    sdleeper Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would get a compression calf sleeve. Like a Zensah sleeve. It will get rid of your shin splints and alleviate calf soreness. As far as your ankle goes...not sure.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    During the Olympics I looked it up because it appeared that some athletes were more kt tape than flesh and uniform. All I could find on it is that they can't really prove that it has any more benefit than a placebo effect.

Buy better shoes and an ankle support.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I tried KT Tape for my IT Band issues and as much as I watched and re-watched the 'how to' videos, it fell off :( I wore that as opposed to my brace during my race on a hot sweaty day and I got 3 miles before it started peeling...I know some races they have people there to apply it for you but for everyday running I stick to sleeves and braces! :)
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I really thought it helped during my runs, but I found that a compression sleeve is really what helped, if you've tried everything else. New shoes, ice, massage, stretching, rest, gait analysis, etc, don't expect this to be your miracle cure. Its cheap, try it out and see. But don't mess around and try to "run through" shin splints. You risk further damage and serious injury.