Vibration training?..your opinion please

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I know vibration has been used in a physio context for years and has been demonstrated to have therapeutic value.

My BS detector, however, goes on high alert when I see banner ads saying that you can get a "60 minute workout in 10 minutes"
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy on "the virgin diaries" using one. He held two shake weights at the same time, and also had 15 years worth of belly button lint collected in a jar. He wasn't in particularly good shape.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I know vibration has been used in a physio context for years and has been demonstrated to have therapeutic value.

My BS detector, however, goes on high alert when I see banner ads saying that you can get a "60 minute workout in 10 minutes"

And therein always lies the problem--the overgeneralization, distortion, or "misapplication" of a machine or training concept. There are sport-specific benefits for vibration training--esp for throwing and jumping sports--and they can be helpful improving balance/stability in seniors. I'm sure other benefits will be discovered--there are new studies reported monthly.

But some people just can't resist trying to make it a "magic bullet".
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    That happened exactly when one of my clients sat on it...it was really funny, I had to go out of the room as it was obvious what was happening to her....

She didn't stop either

I don't believe for a second they're trying to "tone their butt" or whatever lie that want to peddle. I know exactly whats going on there as you say. I just couldn't believe the girl at the cardiotech shop was doing at peak hour (11am) in a packed shoping centre. There were kids walks past ffs.

Don't get me wrong she was skinny as a twig and obviously very toned and fit but she was basically riding a sybian in packed crowd of people doing their shopping. That is just shameless, absoltutely shameless.

All I could think was "OMFG you dirty little B*****"

It still makes me laugh because I l deathstared her and she grinned at me.
    Not every day you meet someone who knows what a sybian is. I'm sure they work way better! ha
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    it probably helps if you have a VCH piercing. You know... with the stimulation and ****.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    All I know is that our gym has one, I hopped on it once, laughed myself silly for about 8 minutes, we left, and on the way home in the car I was really starting to hurt (in a good way)...so it obviously does something???
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    it probably helps if you have a VCH piercing. You know... with the stimulation and ****.
    You're a 'shocker'
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    i dont see a reason why it wouldnt work as far as blood circulation.. maybe reduce soreness.. and healing time.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    headdesk.jpg
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I booked a set of 10 sessions with a trainer - they gave me a constant headache - swapped funds to a universal contour wrap!

All the celebs supposidly use them !

u faild. ._.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    It strikes me as being another Gimmick. :noway: :noway: :noway: Just like the I-Gallop that I thought was going to give me the rock hard 6-pack that I wanted without the effort! :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • BodyElectric1
    BodyElectric1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is I won't spend money on this training and machine. For 4 reasons.

1. I used to work in retailer, and the store I worked it was in front of a promotional court. Over the Christmas period, vibration machines were being promoted in that court and three girls, wearing the tiniest shorts and tank tops, were promoting and demonstrating how to use it. They were on those machines for at least 2-3 hours a day for over a week, and by the time their promotion was over they didn't seem to tone up or lose weight at all. Remember these girls were half naked. They did however attract a lot of attention due to their clothes and some of the moves, which included leg lifts, squats and yes they sat on it as well.

2. Family friends of mine own one, and they claim to use it often, but they've gained weight and have no muscle tone.

3. My doctor told me, in order to get fit I have to do the work, and not a machine. He said this in general and not in regards to vibration training specifically, but I agree.

4. I haven't done a lot of research on these machines so I don't know how safe it is. I'm not going to jump on to this machine without knowing if there are any potential side effects caused by all those vibrations. I don't know if advertisements say only 15 minutes is needed because that is all that is needed for it to work, or if spending prolonged periods is not good for your body? So I would first research it, before I step on any of these machines.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I tried one at an Eco-show, the salesman wanted to sell it to me for $1999. He made me try the machine for 2mins, I didn't feel like it made my muscles work or anything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    There is research that supports that it can increase strength while strength training on it, but IMO it's an expensive way, unless your gym has it, to do it compared to just standard strength training with resistance alone.

I compare it with functional training being touted at about every gym. Functional training advocates keep insisting that it strengthens your core more than just regular lifting when research really hasn't shown that. But for some reason people watching others struggle on unstable surfaces leads them to believe that they are working out harder. To a point they are, but it's mostly with balance. And realistically, unless you're going to walk on unstable surfaces, compete, or deal with an activity or sport that requires lots of balance, for most of the population this type of training won't benefit you anymore than directly training your core with ab exercises or doing compound movements like squats or dead lifts.

Like Azdak stated, there is an application for just about every product or program out there, but they can't be seen as the Magic Bullet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I booked a set of 10 sessions with a trainer - they gave me a constant headache - swapped funds to a universal contour wrap!

All the celebs supposidly use them !

Please please please tell me you are trolling us.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hnnnmmm, this is not what I was expecting :huh:
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    And to think I clicked on this.............what a setup. ha ha
  • pipistrellus
    Options
    I use a Powerplate for stretching after a workout. They're GREAT for that and have really improved my hamstring flexibility and tight calves. It also helps with knee pain.

I'm also not adverse to sitting on one... I hadn't realised that people were so judgemental about it! I can assure everyone that the only joy I get from this is lymphatic drainage and improved circulation.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I swear that **** gave my dad ALS. Ok, maybe not really. But, he bought one of those vibration machines and now he has ALS. You decide. :(
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't believe for a second they're trying to "tone their butt" or whatever lie that want to peddle. I know exactly whats going on there as you say. I just couldn't believe the girl at the cardiotech shop was doing at peak hour (11am) in a packed shoping centre. There were kids walks past ffs.

Don't get me wrong she was skinny as a twig and obviously very toned and fit but she was basically riding a sybian in packed crowd of people doing their shopping. That is just shameless, absoltutely shameless.

All I could think was "OMFG you dirty little B*****"

It still makes me laugh because I l deathstared her and she grinned at me.

Its her number you should have wanted, NOT a stare out contest lmao, if she is like that in public Whew what would she be like in private:noway: :laugh:

My thoughts exactly.