"Lifting Weights Is The BEST THING You Can Do"

Options

Replies

• dualcollision
    dualcollision Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've heard and read that at a resting state, muscle burns around 6X more calories at a time than fat and that at an exercising state, muscled burned around 20x more calories than fat, but I can't remember where I read or heard it from for the life of me, but I also noticed my weight dropping quicker when I started hitting the weights 4 months ago.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It is one of the best things you can do, DEPENDING on what your goal is. If its to get stronger and leaner it will absolutely help and is essentially imperative to reach these goals. On the other hand, like, one of the other posts indicated... A WELL ROUNDED fitness plan and healthy diet/sound nutrition is KEY, making sure your macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates and fats) are well proportioned and making healthier choices.

For lifintg: Develop a sound yet challenging strength training program...switch it up every 4-8 weeks so your body doesn't get used to the same old routine, and trust me, it will. I have had various periods in my life where I have lifted before and not lifted. The times I lift I feel stronger, tighter, healthier and more confident! Not to mention I loose inches, not necessarily pounds. I believe my beginning to lift weights this time around helped me go from a size 10-12 to a size 8. I know I would not have the muscle definition I do now without lifting the way I do.

Muscle, btw, increases your metabloic burn over a 24 hours period where as cardio only burns the calories for the time you put in and a few hours after. So while it may LOOK like you're getting a better burn with cardio you may not be. Just so you know, for eery pound of muscle you gain you burn an average of 50 extra calories a day! That's pretty awesome, if you ask me. As we age, our muscle mass declines and thus our metabolism slows. That's part of the reason why people, especially woman who start out biologically with less muscle, tend to put on weight as they age and say its harder to loose.

The sooner you start lifitng the better, IMHO. If you have a high level of fat to loose, building muscle at the same time as loosing fat may slow your number on the scale BUT one of the benefits will be helping to offset any loose and sagging skin that results often times when just loosing fat without building as it helps build a better base below your skins surface to keep you from"deflated" look.
    I could go on and on about all the positives of lifting. Know this... If I am short on time and I have to choose between lifting and cardio, WEIGHTS always win!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I cannot agree enough with that statement.

That is exactly what happened to me. And chronic cardio just made me crave sweets.... then hate myself.

Weightlifting has not only changed my body, but changed my mind. It has helped me feel powerful.

I wish more women would find their own power under the barbell.

ETA: Don't get me wrong, I LOVE running! Love it. But it is not the best tool if you want a strong powerful body. It is only one small tool. Not the ONLY tool.

Agree!!! 4-sure! Weightlifting has transformed my body and mindset! And above poster-Great strong back !:-)on your pic.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna start lifting when my trainer feels better.

Obviously, I am the only one who caught this!! :noway:

WAIT..........WHAT????????

Really????

Makes sense.

if you have never lifted before, a trainer is the perfect person to teach you the lifts and proper form.

You can watch all the videos you want, but until you have someone there correcting you as you go, you could get injured.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm inclined to believe it. I've been doing P90X for 10 weeks now, which combines weight training with aerobics, and the weight has been steadily coming off for me. And it's true nothing I did for the previous several years made any significant difference - diet, Atkins, fasting, nothing really. But I've been tracking my calories (and really, my eating hasn't changed at all in one year except I stopped drinking as much at the start of the summer (maybe a glass or two of wine a month now) and exercising religiously, and it is coming off.

Having said that, I will say it's not easy. You have to find the time to work out, you have to push yourself past your comfort level to see results, and you have to do it all the time. I've found I'm more flexible and stronger than I have been in my whole life. My joints don't hurt, really nothing hurts (after the first couple of weeks when everything hurt), and I love the results. I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but I am an advocate. Lift weights, do stretching exercises, and get some cardio. It will work.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    That is what someone at the gym told me yesterday. She was telling how she exercised for 2 years and saw NOTHING and then when she started lifting, the weight melted off. Had anyone else had these kind of "transformations"? I'm gonna start lifting when my trainer feels better.
    No melting. No incredible transformations.

I'm stronger. I'm firmer. I'm healthier. But these are all more subtle changes, imo.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    So what should I be doing? What kind of weights? Should I use machines? Should I use free weights? What is the best plan or routine to follow? I would like to start lifting. I do some machines, but I feel I get nowhere. I probably am not doing it right. By that I mean not lifting enough or reps or something of the sort.

I am a type of girl that needs to follow a plan. Are there any apps, websites or books to follow from?

Check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Cardio only people don't like to hear it, but you can lose fat weight with just lifting alone, a moderate calorie deficit, and no cardio. Have had lots of clients do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You can also lose fat by doing nothing at all. This doesn't mean its healthy and balanced. We are doing the readers a disservice here. I think we need to be promoting strength (lifting), flexibility (stretching) and cardiovascular fitness so that our fitness level is well rounded. You won't see a soldier training program or football training program only doing strength training.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    Weight lifting, if you over eat, you build muscle, if you are in a deficit, you lose fat. It's like a magic pill that is really hard to pick up!

love heavy lifting!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Lifting transforms your body!! I am living proof and I LOVE IT!! I don't have gym membership but use dumbbells. All of a sudden I started getting really nice arms (which I have NEVER had) and I find it almost therapeutic!!! :smokin:

I too dont have gym membership, what size dumbbells do you use and which program do you follow? I'm so ready to start lifting.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    That is what someone at the gym told me yesterday. She was telling how she exercised for 2 years and saw NOTHING and then when she started lifting, the weight melted off. Had anyone else had these kind of "transformations"? I'm gonna start lifting when my trainer feels better.
    No melting. No incredible transformations.

I'm stronger. I'm firmer. I'm healthier. But these are all more subtle changes, imo.

Yes, I would agree with this as well. It wasn't magic.

In fact, since lifting I haven't seen any weight loss at all. (admittedly, it was not EXACTLY my goal).
    Everything just LOOKS different.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I cannot agree enough with that statement.

That is exactly what happened to me. And chronic cardio just made me crave sweets.... then hate myself.

Weightlifting has not only changed my body, but changed my mind. It has helped me feel powerful.

I wish more women would find their own power under the barbell.

ETA: Don't get me wrong, I LOVE running! Love it. But it is not the best tool if you want a strong powerful body. It is only one small tool. Not the ONLY tool.

Agree!!! 4-sure! Weightlifting has transformed my body and mindset! And above poster-Great strong back !:-)on your pic.

Thank you!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Just because you 'can' ignore cardio doesn't necessarily mean you 'should', though. Do a bit of both.

I don't want to be a guy who looks totally ripped, but can't even catch his 6-year old without having a heart attack. :laugh:
  • litnerd4life
    litnerd4life Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So what should I be doing? What kind of weights? Should I use machines? Should I use free weights? What is the best plan or routine to follow? I would like to start lifting. I do some machines, but I feel I get nowhere. I probably am not doing it right. By that I mean not lifting enough or reps or something of the sort.

I am a type of girl that needs to follow a plan. Are there any apps, websites or books to follow from?

The other suggestions you have received are great ones, I'll also add to the list Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer. You can find it here :
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
    It is a 12 week training and eating plan. Even if you don't follow the diet plan, it is a great introduction into weights. You start with some basics at lower weight ranges the first two weeks, then hit it harder the following 2 weeks, and then things get all crazy in the 2nd and 3rd month. It lays out for you EXACTLY what exercises to do--although you need a gym to follow this plan. I had been lifting pretty heavy before starting this plan, and I still like it...I have head New Rules is pretty good also though :) Have fun!
  • monkeywrench67
    monkeywrench67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definitely - that has happened for me as well. I usually do about 20 minutes of cardio to get my heart rate up, do about 20 minutes of weights, and then another 40 minutes of cardio. Even with just 20 minutes of weights, my body shape is changing and my weight loss increased greatly. Good luck!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point. Love lifting and it has changed my body for the better but I still do cardio because I want to be able to keep up with my kids and well not get winded just walking up a few flights of stairs kwim. I find it super funny seeing these big ripped guys at the gym that can dead lift so much but have to take a rest going up the 3floors of stairs to get to the track so IMO do both
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting has many benefits and I wholeheartedly recommend it - I just don't agree that anything is "best". Best is in fact just to do something.

I could not possibly agree with this more
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy! :)

After running for 2 years I am finally getting the bug for doing other things ... I have lost a lot of weight and feel strong in many ways (including my lower body obviously), but clearly I could benefit from strength training.

Calories in, Calories out. However things like HIIT, and I'm sure lifting and the way you can do circuit training and help boost your metabolism ... so calories in/out is not limited to what you do during that hour, but also what your body is doing afterwards (with a raised metabolism) ...

Don't let anyone push you in a direction that you don't enjoy though, as it's what you enjoy that turns into what you do regularly ... like I said, I went from the couch (literally) to running (and I love it) ... and now want to tone up a bit ... I lost a lot doing cardio, and I'm sure I would have lost a lot lifting (both managing your caloric intake however, obviously) ...

HOWEVER ... lifting and lifting to lose weight are also different ... I push my body hard in cardio ... if you think you are going to lose as much "lifting casually" I would tend to disagree ... serious exercise will get serious results, and you can do that in many ways.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    There's a before and after picture on my profile. I had knee surgery then broke my collar bone playing with the kids that left me not being able to lift for most of 2011 :grumble:

Within 5 months of lifting heavy I lost body fat and inches, AND only losing a few pounds on the scale!

**BIG PUFFY HEART LIFTING WEIGHTS**
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

A lot of people will suggest programs with compound lifts such as deadlifts, benchpress, squats -- and they are correct. that's what my program started with & i've added in some other lifts in addition to it, just b/c i like them. I'd start with some kind of program that builds weight & decreases reps.

I found my program by just googling beginner strength training & it is 12 wks long, 8-12 reps for 4 wks, 6-8 for 4 wks then 4-6 for 4 wks.

When i'm done I plan on basically starting over at higher weight. "Wash.Rinse.Repeat" kinda method :D