I think I'm doing something wrong :(

Options
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can take a few minutes to look over my food logs and tell me where I'm going wrong. I've made a huge effort to eat veggies, fruits and complex carbs while dropping most of my bad habits. (I even exercised... a few times!). I have yet to lose even a pound though so I'm definitely messing up somewhere. I'm new to this whole healthy eating lifestyle and while I'm not in a hurry to lose the weight (I would like to simply learn to eat healthy and hope the rest will follow) it's still frustrating to see no change. I see different opinions everywhere I look on how many calories I should be taking in... and I'm starting to suspect I'm not eating enough.

Any and all opinions/ help will be greatly appreciated!

-Amanda
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/amandaheverly

Note: Not sure if it shows up on my diary but I'm a 5'7'' female weighing 205. Sedentary lifestyle for the most part (programmer at work, programmer at home ;))

Replies

• crazyguitarmom
    Options
    the exercising really helped me alot i do zumba and walking and as soon as i started the weight started to come off quickly i have lost 44 lbs so far keep the faith and keep at it it will start to come off
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    You should add the sodium tracker to food journal. It can be a real eye opener how quick you can go over your daily amount allotted.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You should add the sodium tracker to food journal. It can be a real eye opener how quick you can go over your daily amount allotted.

Yes and then change the allotted amount from 2500 to 1800. 2500 is waaaay too much.

ETA: Unless you are matching the amount of potassium you eat. Which most people don't.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    it looks like you're eating a lot of simple carbs--i see a lot of sandwiches, burgers, pizza, taco shells... try cutting down on those. or if you simply can't, switch to whole grain or wheat. since i didn't see any specified types of bread, i'm assuming it's all white flour. also, i'm seeing you eat out a bit. lots of prepared foods have hidden sugar in them and we all know what happens to sugar in our bodies...

you can do it!
  • amandaheverly
    Options
    I actually dont eat out much, but sometimes I have to put in estimations (my husband is a chef). As for burgers I'm pretty sure I've only had one burger (cheeseburger) and one Black bean burger in the few weeks I've been tracking. I'm not sure where the sandwich is but I dont eat those either. It's possible that bread was logged to go with the kale soup? Taco shells were with the spinach wraps, I'm still trying to figure out what I can replace those with (170 calories!!) I did have a moment of weakness with the pizza last weekend :( That's all me.

I'll start watching the carbs for sure, and I've already changed my sodium settings!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    you're not eating enough
  • spicyginger2006
    spicyginger2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    are you eating all of your calories everyday??? i have to leave some, and if i eat all mine and dont exercise, I dont lose a dang thing. i stay the same. maybe try leaving an extra 200-300 calories at the end of the day
  • CrazyMidget611
    CrazyMidget611 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    but sometimes I have to put in estimations (my husband is a chef).

I didn't peek at your diary, but estimations can really hurt you. Most people (myself included!!) will really underestimate what they eat. I personally have to weigh and measure EVERYTHING, otherwise, I have trouble.

PS - Super jealous of your chef husband! I want someone to cook for me lol
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you are using estimations, then that's probably where your issue lies.

Use the recipe section to record what he's making.

If the food item you are eating is not in the list, then add it yourself. Don't make substitutions.

If you don't have a weight scale then get one. Eyeballing portion size is usually wrong.

You need to be as accurate as possible.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I pulled up a month prior to today's date and there is no diary from a month ago. Just to let you know I started over a month ago 1200 - 1400 calorie and exercise diet and haven't lost weight, but I feel fabulous. Give it time. Don't give up.
  • spicyginger2006
    spicyginger2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    ps. you are not eating enough. try eating smaller meals and def. add more fruits and veggies into your meals. good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    "sandwich" could be "subway"
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try eating 100 % of your calories, most days you are under, well under.
  • BetsyG130
    BetsyG130 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    IMHO, too much sugar/carbs, and not enough protein. Try and eat as much "real" food as possible (avoid processed foods). Try making lean protein the focus of each of your meals, and compliment it with a leafy green veggie or fruit. Aim for > 100 grams of protein a day (minimum). Replace yogurt with plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese, for example.

Good luck.
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Where did those numbers come from. Waaay too many carbs and essay too little protein
  • amandaheverly
    Options
    Ok, I definitely misspoke on this one. I dont say "Hey , that looks like its about like this chicken salad i've found on the search". Instead I have to put in each darn ingredient (he tells me portions) and then divide that whole total by the amount of the food I ate. Kale soup is the perfect example. I had to take all the ingredients for the soup, then divide by how many cups it made. I guess that's very close but since I know it's not exact I call it 'guessing'
  • MerBear1FL
    Options
    LaTortilla Factory has whole grain wraps for 50 cals. They have different flavors if you are craving something more creative!
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    Agree with everyone.
    Lowering my sodium has helped me a lot :)
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would also try to eat all of your calories each day- they seem to fluctuate quite a bit. I met with a nutritionist and she has me on the same amount of calories each day~ whether I exercise or not and it really seems to work. and yes- the sodium - that's a tough one for me but eating out can really up the sodium levels which retains water which then shows on that stupid scale!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to look at my diary or just need a little support. Good luck on your journey!!