Random medical question

Options
I'm not expecting expert advice just general input. I hurt my shoulder doing some exercise and had some radiating pain down my neck, shoulder and upper arm. It started to tingle down from my shoulders into my fingers. So...here's the question, the pain has faded and the tingling is less often...wait it out or go to the doctor????

Thoughts?

(and thanks :))

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not expecting expert advice just general input. I hurt my shoulder doing some exercise and had some radiating pain down my neck, shoulder and upper arm. It started to tingle down from my shoulders into my fingers. So...here's the question, the pain has faded and the tingling is less often...wait it out or go to the doctor????

Thoughts?

(and thanks :))

go see a chiropractor!

about 2 years ago I fell asleep on the couch and woke up with a sore neck. Over the neck few days it went into my shoulder, my jaw, and caused periodic and random tingling in my fingers and toes. I got really scared and called a local chiro, from my symptoms he was able to tell that I had a pinched nerve causing my issues. For 3 weeks or so I went and got adjusted 2x a week, then when the nerve pain was gone, I went 1x a week, then 2x a month. Whenever I had issues with my back, he could fix them. I would still be doing it if my insurance hadn't changed :(
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I second seeing a chiro. I have a slipped disc, and doctors refuse to anything other than give me pain medication, or operate (and yes, I sought a second opinion). They said I could try physical therapy, but really it's something that needs to just heal on its own. My chiro, however, provides drug free pain relief. So, in answer to your question of if you should go to a doctor, my answer would be yes, but a doctor of chiropracty. Especially since your pain sounds so nerve related.
  • krissyd100
    Options
    Thanks! I hadn't even thought of a Chiro :)
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    it appears to be getting better by itself. If it persists then seek advice - dont see why you would see a chiro over a PT tho.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    it appears to be getting better by itself. If it persists then seek advice - dont see why you would see a chiro over a PT tho.

ummm. because the PT may not be needed? A pinched nerve is something that a good chiro can work on in a few sessions, and you generally don't need a referral to see a chiro. Not sure you can go to a PT without one...and they are most likely more expensive
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Yeah go to chiro or get a massage. Ironic how when you actually get to see a doctor the pain goes away, and you still pay the doctor for 10sec of "examining" you at full rate of course. :grumble: