Getting annoyed...

Options
SO I started with MFP a week ago and I've been going strong. I'm doing good with counting my calories and I am really proud of myself. Except my friends/family/boyfriend are all getting annoyed with how crazy Im going with finding out the calories of ANYTHING before I put it in my mouth lol. And some of them are even telling me that counting calories is not going to work. I can understand if it's a little annoying that i keep asking "how many calories are in this do you think?" but I really want to actually loose weight this time!
Is anyone else being made fun of!? lol

Replies

• sallymurph
    sallymurph Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    All the time. I can totally relate. Counting calories is the way to go. Don't give up!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Yes!! My husband drives me up the wall! lol My mom gets annoyed with me too..I asked her if she had any dark chocolate because she ALWAYS has chocolate. She said yes and gave me some and I was like well how many is in a serving? and how many calories, carbs, fat, etc? She was like OMG who cares just eat it!

As much as it may drive our friends/family crazy, they will see how crazy we aren't once we lose weight! And how can say they counting calories doesn't work? (my hubby says the same) Weight loss is about counting calories! I just learn to ignore them for the most part now, most of my family is really encouraging though!
  • dietingsucks
    Options
    Yes. I've been told I'm "part rabbit" because I'm such a salad-raw veggie hound.

When someone else is doing the cooking I try to find out what's being served then come here (MFP) and look it up in the database before I get my plate. Then, if it's high in calories but I want some, I take a very small portion (1/2 cup or less) so I don't deny myself and also don't feel guilty. Oh, and I started using a salad plate instead of a dinner plate so it LOOKS like more than it is. I know it's silly, but the visual aspect is powerful.

After a while you'll get to the point where you can pretty much "guesstimate" calories in different foods and you won't have to ask so much.

Isn't this a fun game we get to play? :wink:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    My husband is supportive of my crazy counting even though he often tells me I don't need to loose weight but other people think I am crazy. Counting calories DOES work... You are doing this for you... tell them they should want you to be happy and healthy.
  • mbrownks77
    Options
    I know exactly how u feel! I put all of my healthy stuff on one side of the fridge. My husband says "Ooooh gross"! I've told him that he doesn't have to eat it so shut up. But, he's always telling me to eat real food. I've noticed how different our marriage is since I put on weight so I wonder, why does he want me to stay fat? I feel like he has no attraction to me anymore! Anyone else feel this way? I know he loves me but I miss the fluttery feelings ya know?
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yup my girlfriends from work say it's irritating to be so self conscious of the food. They wanted to have lunch one day at the Olive Garden and I turned them down, because of the calories and they got annoyed with that. I just learned to not say anything about it. I keep my thoughts to myself. One of the girls I work with always goes to the gym with me. I have noticed her irritation with me watching me now working harder and harder every week. Who cares though I've actually lost 10lbs now since before starting MFP and people are telling me I look good and ask what I do and I simply say MFP and exercising. When they say I diet I just tell them it;s a lifestyle change and counting calories has just made me more conscious of my food intake.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    My sister in-law was ready to kill me over the holidays. She and my sisters were irritated, and my brother in-laws really didn't want to know how many calories were in Great Lakes Christmas Ale (oops!:blushing: )

This week my oldest sister asked me for the web address for MFP and my sister-in-law started here the first of January.

(smirk)

Yeah -just keep it up and you'll be fine*

*Unless you're tiny now- in which case you might be worrying people if it looks like you're super worried about calories but you don't have any weight to lose
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Totally understand. I try to put the foods in the calculator so i know what i am eating ahead of time. If i go out to eat i ask for a togo box right away and put half the food in it. My friends make fun of me but oh well.
    You want to change and your husband might feel like he is doing something wrong. That you want to change because you are unhappy with him and it is scary. When he says something to you just be patient and explain that you love him but you feel unhappy with your own body and you want to feel sexy for HIM! (And for you.... just keep that part to yourself) He might be a bit afraid that you will change and not love him anymore.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend turning down social invites because of calories, but I think more Americans need to be "annoyed" by what is going in to their mouths! That's the problem...people eat and have no clue what is in the food, calories, fat, preservatives, etc. So keep being annoying so you know what you are putting in your body. Make smarter choices most of the time! But at least this way, when you choose to put something unhealthy in your mouth, you know what is in it! You are making an educated choice. You may be surprised: some of those that are annoyed now may start being healthier themselves.
  • ERnurse
    ERnurse Posts: 77
    Options
    I haven't experienced being made fun of - but it is the way to control your eating so just ignore the sabotaging - often people will do that when someone is losing weight - keep doing what you are doing :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    SO I started with MFP a week ago and I've been going strong. I'm doing good with counting my calories and I am really proud of myself. Except my friends/family/boyfriend are all getting annoyed with how crazy Im going with finding out the calories of ANYTHING before I put it in my mouth lol. And some of them are even telling me that counting calories is not going to work. I can understand if it's a little annoying that i keep asking "how many calories are in this do you think?" but I really want to actually loose weight this time!

Not going to work???? Well someone better tell me cuz I lost 36 pounds so far doing just that!!!
    When my friend told me that I sent her the ling to Tamtastic's profile.

As you move along you will know how much a slice of cheese or bread is and will not have to look before.......NOW you are in information stage and this is what you must do!!

I have the Iphone app........before that I looked it up on the internet!!

Your doing great, keep up the good work!!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I so hear you. I made chocolate chip cookies for my son this morning and I want one like you wouldn't believe. My husband said that I should just have one, there probably aren't that many calories. I just calculated the calories on sparkpeople.com and there are 145 calories PER COOKIE! AHHHH! I am so glad I figured that out before stuffing a couple of cookies in my mouth!
  • Ktbell626
    Ktbell626 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My room mate told me that this site doesn't work back in September after another one of my room mate Emma, had lost 10 lbs on here. We almost had our first fight over fitness and this site. She didn't like that Emma and I were always talking about calories, always talking about being over or under and that fact that we play wii fit in the evenings for exercise. So we back off and decided not to talk about it in front of her. My whole family is on here except for my dad and he is doing weight watchers. My SIL totaled everyone's weight loss from last year and we lost about 300 lbs altogether. So just ignore all those who say "Nay" and keep on working on your goals.
  • ldupless
    ldupless Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I totally have this problem alllllll the time! My family was starting to get really bugged at my constant calorie counting....BUT! It's worked for me! This is my second week and i've already lost four pounds. So, while I'm getting healthy I guess the fam will just have to suffer =]
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think counting calories definitely works, and this site is an immense help. I can however understand that people who are not on a diet or not doing this right now can get tired of hearing the word calories.
    What I do is pretty much keep it to myself. Because I have a general idea of how many calories are in something, I don't bring it up when ordering food at a restaurant, but make a mental note and watch what I eat ( then add them through my iphone).

Keep up the good work.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My whole family is on here except for my dad and he is doing weight watchers. My SIL totaled everyone's weight loss from last year and we lost about 300 lbs altogether. So just ignore all those who say "Nay" and keep on working on your goals.

New total for the family: (estimating your dad's loss) 376lbs in just over 1 year.

Anyone who tells you counting calories doesn't work, doesn't understand basic biology. In order to lose weight your energy (calories!) expended must be more than energy (calories!) ingested. In short, calories in, calories out. Yes, at the beginning it can be time consuming. But you are changing a lifetime of eating habits! Lucky for me, my husband jumped right in when I suggested this website (which was recommended by my aunt). We spent 2 or 3 months learning the content of everything we eat. Now we can guesstimate pretty accurately if we're not close to a computer. (He's much better at remembering caloric values, so I depend on him a LOT:bigsmile: ) You will get to the place where you can guesstimate and don't always have to ask. But stick with it!

A current favorite quote of mine: If you quit now, you will never reach the finish line!
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked to see so many people families aren't supportive. My husband is very supportive and so are my kids. If I need to calculate something real fast they are eager to let me use the computer if they are on it.
    Like someone said before, counting calories does work. This is the 1st time I'm actually counting calories. I'm ending my 2nd week (weigh in tomorrow) & I already lost 7lbs. So, I'm super excited & say to you, never give up & brush what people say off your shoulders. B/c when you are looking good in your sexy black dress, they are all going to want to know what you did!!! Keep your head up & keep pushing through!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My room mate told me that this site doesn't work back in September after another one of my room mate Emma, had lost 10 lbs on here. We almost had our first fight over fitness and this site. She didn't like that Emma and I were always talking about calories, always talking about being over or under and that fact that we play wii fit in the evenings for exercise. So we back off and decided not to talk about it in front of her. My whole family is on here except for my dad and he is doing weight watchers. My SIL totaled everyone's weight loss from last year and we lost about 300 lbs altogether. So just ignore all those who say "Nay" and keep on working on your goals.

That is so great! I love it when the family is in it together. Happy and Healthy!! :heart:
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options

Not going to work???? Well someone better tell me cuz I lost 36 pounds so far doing just that!!!
    When my friend told me that I sent her the ling to Tamtastic's profile.

As you move along you will know how much a slice of cheese or bread is and will not have to look before.......NOW you are in information stage and this is what you must do!!

I have the Iphone app........before that I looked it up on the internet!!

Your doing great, keep up the good work!!

Agreed Jeannie!

Don't let anyone tell you calorie counting doesnt work. I didnt lose this weight by guessing. Sheesh, It's a very mathematical process. Calories in calories out. How can you do it without being aware of what your eating? Keep it going. It does work.

:flowerforyou:
  • danielleleee
    Options
    calories do count but u also have to watch for fat, carbs, sugar also... eating right is about 80% of weight loss.... but u need to exercise still. it's good for your body.