can't lose weight. not sure what to do...Help!

Options
I'm a 42 yo woman trying to lose 30 pounds but will be happy with 5...or 1!!!
I've been on and off MFP for over a year. The last 2 years I have been working out 4-6 times a week doing anything from boot camp or step classes at the gym, to cardio machines, and some weight lifting days spending minimum 1 hour of exercise a day. (For the past couple months I've focused on 45 min - 1 hour on cardio machines.) I've gained muscle but can not lose inches, in fact I can't lose a pound. And I'm frustrated!!
My BMR is around 1500 calories a day. This is what MFP says I should eat everyday to lose 1 pound per week if I workout 3-5 times a week. When I log my exercise my calorie intake increases but I don't want to eat what I've just worked off, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've started to increase my protein and eat less carbs to see if that will jump start anything. I just don't know if I'm not eating enough calories. Or if I'm working out too much?!
Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• Adforperu
    Adforperu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Muscle ways more than fat!

Not sure if that's a myth or not, but there is a point to it.
  • FitnessArt
    Options
    Maybe something you are eating is interfering with the weight loss process? For example, some people cannot eat Broccoli even though it is a vegetable. Everyone's body and the way it works is different...the suggested caloric intake for you might be wrong. It may be the type of foods you are eating, the amount of exercise you are doing or the pattern of exercise you are doing.

I read some information that Jillian Michaels published that talks about the body's oxidation process. I did a quick online test that determined that I am a "fast-oxidizer". I decided to take the information and try it. Some of the "healthy for you" foods that I was eating was listed as foods that I should not eat to allow my body to work efficiently. Eliminating those foods and eating only the foods listed that are beneficial to my body type helped me to get fit and lose the weight I wanted to lose, plus I felt so much better. I did "go off the band wagon" for a while but I am now back on board!

Wishing you success in your efforts!
  • jenniferinfla
    Options
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Use this guide..It helped me soo much... I was not eating nearly enough
  • FitnessArt
    Options
    Thanks for the calorie counter! Nice!
  • FierceFox81
    Options
    Yes muscle does weigh more then fat. A pound is a pound, but if you took a cup of fat and a cup of muscles...the cup of muscle would weigh more. But I think most of us already know this.

One thing we must remember, like it or not...the body needs food. If we do not give our body enough calories, fats, protein, carbs..blah blah blah our bodies go into a "starvation mode." Your body will start storing fat because it does not know when you will properly feed it again. Your metabolism will slow down majorly which then leads to not losing weight and more then likely....gaining weight! Typically people will even gain more then they first lost!

What I'm trying to say is...it is VERY important to eat back the calories you burned while working out. Don't let your mind trick you into thinking less calories means faster weight loss healthy me...it only means faster weight loss, NOT healthy, and yay gain it all back when you start eating normal again.

Make sure you eat back what you work off. Eat clean, fresh stuff so you don't feel so bad for eating those calories. This might help...GOOD LUCK and DON'T GIVE UP :)
  • hopo37
    hopo37 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My doctor has confirmed that....
  • nolan2600
    Options
    Well I'm in the same boat but I'm pretty sure mine is hormonal so you might want to take that into consideration. I am 45 and starting all of those wonderful symptoms that us women get to go through (lucky us) and I can't seem to lose 1lb and normally I drop it off pretty quick if I am doing what I am doing now. I'm very discouraged but I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing because it's still better than not doing anything. Hopefully the doc will get me straightened out in a few weeks but you may consider hormones as a reason why you might not be able to lose. They will jack you up for sure! Good luck and I hope they start falling off for you soon! Stick with it!!!!!!!!!
  • kevink8
    kevink8 Posts: 1
    Options
    Sounds like your on the right track with your diet and lifting weights. Make sure you're eating more often, (and the right foods) during the day but less portions to keep your metabolism up. Keep this up, especially lifting heavy weights. You can get a partner to help you if you need help with the last couple of reps.

Have you tried High Intensity Interval Training? You can start by walking on a treadmill for 30 seconds, then sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds. You shouldn't be able to talk while you're sprinting or immediately after. Do this as many times as you can AFTER lifting weights. You want to work up to 8 reps of this.

There is a GREAT magazine out called "OnFitness" www.onfitnessmag.com that is exceptional. It is a little expensive, and it's written primarily for trainers, but it is easy to understand and has many plans of action for whatever you want to do.

I also keep track of what I do with an App called My Fitness Pal.

Good luck.