I think I'm doing something wrong :(

Options

Replies

• amandaheverly
    Options
    This is good, I'll definitely put this on my 'changes' list. More protein, less carbs. I have to admit I definitely never realized just how much bread I consumed on a daily basis!! What an eye opener...

Also the sodium tracker was a great idea, especially if it's true that sodium makes you hold onto water weight ;)
  • ntarrence
    ntarrence Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do not estimate...if at the least measure everything the first few times so you can get a visual on what that portion size looks like and go from there. I know that working out is maybe the hardest to work in to the diet but it works...and walking I think is the easiest to get used to. I walk 5 miles a night and now learning...but learned that even 20 minutes of increasing your heart rate 3 times a week is a huge plus. I think sometimes it takes a little to get started but once the weight loss begins and you keep up the routine..it just gets easier.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    looks like a Yo-Yo between days of not enough calories and too much sodium one day and too many carbs the next- find a consistent medium and you will succeed!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if your entries are correct, I mean just an obvious example is the use of black beans you keep using the dry entry which is the hard uncooked bean and I just can't imagine you are eating them hard and crunchy out of the bag. For that matter while you seem to have "healthy" kale soups and shakes, and some fruit snacks, the in between looks like fast food and take out which are abnormally high in sodium and simple carbs, I also suspect they just inject extra calories into that crap as I can always make it at home for less. You might also try reviewing your calorie goals based on your activity level, the general rule is if your not losing you are either eating at your maintenance level thus eating too many calories to lose or your not moving enough.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Definitely read this - I was about to post this link!!
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Looks like you may be under eating in two different ways. #1, you are having too few calories most days. Based on your height and weight your TDEE is about 2000 calories a day. Eating at 1500-1600 should net you a 3500 calorie deficit each week for about a 1lb loss. You are also eating too few meals each day. Eating only 2 or 3 times a day may cause your body to want to store some food for energy use later in the day. Eating too few meals and too few calories creates kind of a double cross. You eat too many calories that your body can immediately use at the time of the meal, so, it holds on to some for later when it "needs" it. Simply eating 4 or 5 meals a day will help keep your body using the food you eat as energy and not need to store any. The two added meals could be as simple as a protein shake or a handfull of almonds. Simple snacks can just keep that metabolism burning.

Next... STAY AWAY FROM PROCESSED FOODS! Not only do they contain bad fats, but, a slew of sodium and a list of things that you can't even pronounce. Need a quick lunch and Subway is your best option? Bring a chicken breast from home, grab a 6" veggie with mustard and add your own chicken. Eating whole foods are not only better for you, but, will give you more things your body need and keep your feeling fuller longer.

How much water are you drinking? Fruits and Veggies? Any way you can add exercise?
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Definitely watch the sodium. I have been surprised at how much sodium some foods have. I always thought I did good on that especially since I never add any extra salt to things. You can easily swap out the bread your currently using for something different. I personally like the Sara Lee 45 calorie&delightful Wheat w/honey. When we have hamburgers or something similar that requires a bun I like to buy Healthy Life 80 calorie Wheat buns. Make sure your drinking enough water too.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking any water at all or getting enough water in for each day? I just didn't see you log that in. Water is a part of that weight game changer too, it will help your body filter out toxins and hydrate otherwise you'll retain water weight gain and suffer from dehydration & loss of energy. :wink:
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'll go look and be back with you!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Haven't read through the other comments, but I would cut back on the carbs and sodium.
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am certainly no expert but here is what works for me. 3 healthy meals a day. and a snack. I hardly EVER eat out. Keep my cals around 1200 - 1400, but they are good healthy cals, so I get a lot of food. Workout. workout workout. At least 40 minutes a day. I started May 27th at 158 lbs and am 139.6 today. I am 5'1".
  • lwolfson
    Options
    I agree with most posts, however shake meal replacements get old very fast and we tend to snack and not record it. Also you need to drink and log water and Exercise, Exercise, exercise. move around and do something every hour.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You should add the sodium tracker to food journal. It can be a real eye opener how quick you can go over your daily amount allotted.

Yes and then change the allotted amount from 2500 to 1800. 2500 is waaaay too much.

ETA: Unless you are matching the amount of potassium you eat. Which most people don't.

^^^ This. At 2500 calories a day, you'll be lucky not to gain
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    your sodium seems high every day, and you appear not to be drinking water, also breads and other simply carbs can cause you to retain water ...

I noticed also that your sugar is quite high some days, now on the days that its coming from fruits thats fine but if its mostly coming from other sources then you need to cut back on those types of foods especially processed foods. Lots of "low fat" foods and cereal bars (the ones sold for dieters) seem to be high in sugar, which is bad for us dieters, Id recommend reading the labels :)

good luck on your journey :) Ive lost 41lbs to date following my above advice :)
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Amanda, based on your food diary today, you need some MEAT of some sort! What you have is fine, just get some natural sources of protein going and you should lose some weight.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I actually dont eat out much, but sometimes I have to put in estimations (my husband is a chef). As for burgers I'm pretty sure I've only had one burger (cheeseburger) and one Black bean burger in the few weeks I've been tracking. I'm not sure where the sandwich is but I dont eat those either. It's possible that bread was logged to go with the kale soup? Taco shells were with the spinach wraps, I'm still trying to figure out what I can replace those with (170 calories!!) I did have a moment of weakness with the pizza last weekend :( That's all me.

I'll start watching the carbs for sure, and I've already changed my sodium settings!

Ole Mexico makes a great spinach and herb wrap with only 74 calories, 2g fat, 12g fiber and 7g protein. They have other flavors too that are all good.

You can enter recipe ingredients into MFP and it will calculate the nutrients for you. Sometimes it's a pain, but it helps get a better knowledge and understanding of exactly what you're eating. Also, a food scale. Best thing I ever did. If it can weighed or measured, I do it! I thought I had a good idea of "how much" of whatever I was putting in my body. Nope. Not even close!

In my opinion, you should try eating more often. 5-6 times a day....keeps your metabolism going and make every meal count....protein in every meal. My diary is public. You're welcome to check it out. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than it used to be. :smile:

Keep on truckin' and good luck!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The things that strike me:

1. Lots of inconsistency.
    2. Lots of processed food.
    3. Not enough protein - MFP's default number for carbs are too high and too low for protein IMO.

There's nothing magical about 2 and 3, but for me, it makes it much easier to feel satisfied on less longer, and stick with things.

Also, buy a digital food scale for home-cooked foods, and be sure to use it on calorie-dense foods (breads, fats, protein). People are really bad at guessing portions.