"Lifting Weights Is The BEST THING You Can Do"

Options

Replies

• Thundercat73
    Options
    Lifting has been my bread and butter for years. I agree that weigt training has a lot to do with body tranformation, however there should be a goal. I see a lot of people with unrelistic goals about weight training (135 to 405 bench in 8 weeks). If you set a realistic goal and stick to your plans anything is possible.
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree. I'm addicting to strength training. I enjoy doing it 3 times a week for an hour and the results are EXCELLENT. I couldn't ask for me. I currently follow P90X strength training routines.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point. Love lifting and it has changed my body for the better but I still do cardio because I want to be able to keep up with my kids and well not get winded just walking up a few flights of stairs kwim. I find it super funny seeing these big ripped guys at the gym that can dead lift so much but have to take a rest going up the 3floors of stairs to get to the track so IMO do both

This!^^^ Also the really fat guy at the gym who only goes to the bench press and can bench press the weight of a car. Are either of these guys truly healthy? Really?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree. Although I don't neccessarily feel it has to be actual weight lifting. Body weight strength training can be very effective.

Over the year I have been able to achieve excellent results by both lifting weights w/little to no cardio and running a ton w/little to no strength.

The past couple months I have evened out both strength & my running and I am loving what I see so far.

My opinion the "best" thing you can do is capitolize on whatever activity you enjoy doing to the fullest extent. Finding a balance between a few activities is even better.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this isn't too silly a question because I know a lot of it is subjective, but what would be considered "heavy"? I have eveything from a 5-pound ankle/wrist weight set to a barbell & plates (one of those Weider home gym things). Normally when I would lift, I'd use my 10-pound dumbells. I've slacked off A LOT (like, for years) but am so amped to start again. Where should I begin? I don't want to start too light or go too heavy too soon. I miss feeling strong.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point. Love lifting and it has changed my body for the better but I still do cardio because I want to be able to keep up with my kids and well not get winded just walking up a few flights of stairs kwim. I find it super funny seeing these big ripped guys at the gym that can dead lift so much but have to take a rest going up the 3floors of stairs to get to the track so IMO do both

This!^^^ Also the really fat guy at the gym who only goes to the bench press and can bench press the weight of a car. Are either of these guys truly healthy? Really?

Just because someone is fat or can't walk up a flight of stairs after lifting, does not make them unhealthy. A lot of bodybuilders are considered obese by BMI standards, but very healthy by body fat standards.

The same thing can be said about a skinny person.. just because someone is skinny, does not mean they are healthy. There are plenty of skinny people out there who can run for miles, but can't pick up a 5 pound dumbbell.

So don't be so quick to judge people.
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    Once upon a time, all I did was run. I became a fat runner.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting has many benefits and I wholeheartedly recommend it - I just don't agree that anything is "best". Best is in fact just to do something.

I could not possibly agree with this more

"Best" is defined by your goals but any serious runner or triathlete includes strength training as part of his or her training regimen. In terms of body composition weight lifting is brilliant - no arguments from me on that point.
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I found a book called "28 Day Body Shapeover" by Brad Schoenfeld. It looks pretty good. It has lifting for home and gym options. Stretches for inbetween sets. Also has receipe plan, but I will follow my own (don't like the food they show). It has each day with a plan. One day weights and the next day cardio with a day for resting. This book looks like the best of both worlds of lifting and cardio. I think this might be a good book for begining. lifting. This book is for women. At least it shows for women.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time I used to be fat, then I became a runner :)

Again, whatever works ... if switching it up works, than do it. But do what you enjoy.
    Once upon a time, all I did was run. I became a fat runner.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Cardio only people don't like to hear it, but you can lose fat weight with just lifting alone, a moderate calorie deficit, and no cardio. Have had lots of clients do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You can also lose fat by doing nothing at all. This doesn't mean its healthy and balanced. We are doing the readers a disservice here. I think we need to be promoting strength (lifting), flexibility (stretching) and cardiovascular fitness so that our fitness level is well rounded. You won't see a soldier training program or football training program only doing strength training.
    Haven't stated that you shouldn't involve cardio and flexibility training. Statement was made to counter cardio only people who believe the best way to burn fat is to do cardio.
    The disservice would be to ignominiously get people to believe that nothing else works but weight lifting which I haven't stated.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ewoodward11
    ewoodward11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Always keep in mind, "muscle eats fat" Strength all the way!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I agree. Lifting heavy has changed my body more in a shorter time than cardio alone. Cardio is good for you though, I recommend a mix. I don't do a lot of cardio, but I do still do it.
    I agree.

I agree as well :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Just because you 'can' ignore cardio doesn't necessarily mean you 'should', though. Do a bit of both.

I don't want to be a guy who looks totally ripped, but can't even catch his 6-year old without having a heart attack. :laugh:
    Lol, yes there are lots of bodybuilders I know of that more than likely have this issue.:laugh: :laugh: They can move weight, but when they move their own weight up a flight of stairs, they sound like a steam engine.

IDEA Fitness member
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    I'm gonna start lifting when my trainer feels better.

Obviously, I am the only one who caught this!! :noway:

WAIT..........WHAT????????

Really????

aahahah this made me LOL
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    Bump for later. I lift a little now, but I'm wanting to be more aggressive about it. :)
  • Bohemien
    Bohemien Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to learn how to weight train ever since I witnessed a friend's total body shape transformation due to her own workout. with a personal trainer I just can't afford a personal trainer. I do have some physical limitations but my hunch is that those limitations would probably improve or disappear with a personalized weight training regime. My friend showed me what her workout routine was, but as it was specific to her body and goals, I did not pursue working out with her. I just turned 60 and I have a desk job which means I sit all day, except for walking several times a week. Does anyone know of a website that gives the opportunity for personalized weight training instruction for free, or at least for a reasonable fee?
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    There's a before and after picture on my profile. I had knee surgery then broke my collar bone playing with the kids that left me not being able to lift for most of 2011 :grumble:

Within 5 months of lifting heavy I lost body fat and inches, AND only losing a few pounds on the scale!

**BIG PUFFY HEART LIFTING WEIGHTS**

Your before & after is awesome! With only a 3lb difference!
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Lifting finally helped me break out of a 4 month plateau and I do it only 3 times a week for about 10-15 minutes. Squats, tricep extensions /kickbacks and bicep curls are all I do at this point. It works!!!!

I want to increase the weight , but am unclear on when and how I should go about it..... Any advice on that??? I only have 8 more pounds to go until my goal weight but I want to continue toning beyond that and I know that increasing the weight I lift will be vital to getting there.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    ... serious exercise will get serious results

Love this!