HCG Diet

Options
Has anyone tried this diet? I have a friend who is doing it and have not seen the results yet but will keep you posted. The deal of the diet is taking in 500 calories per day and taking an injection of HCG (pregnancy hormone) every day for 30-40 days. I'm wondering first, how this can be safe and second, if it is effective in keeping weight off. I have been stuck at about the same weight for months and exercising regularly and it's just not coming off. I'd like to try this to drop 30 or so pounds quickly (supposedly you lose a pound a day on this diet) and then go back to what I'm doing now (eating somewhat healthy and exercising regularly). I'd love to hear any stories from people who have tried this. Any opinions.... Seems like a small sacrifice (500 cals for 30 days) to pay for such rapid weight loss - if it's possible to maintain after that.

Replies

• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Have not tried that diet and dont think I ever will. Due to putting your body into a starvation mode for 30 days does not sound like an good idea. With all of the posts on here on how to eat healthy, exercise, support and how to get over your plateaus, I am suprised to see this post.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you're wondering how in the world something can be healthy for you, chances are it's not.
  • annekejohnson
    annekejohnson Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    well, it's questionable considering people who have lap band surgeries are reduced to that or less for that long and their doctors recommend it. I read another post that stated that your body utilizes the stored fat in addition to the 500 calories you take in so yes it's starvation mode but so are a lot of other things that are considered acceptable. I'm inclned to give it a shot (not being punny there) and see how it works out.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I found info on the diet on http://health.howstuffworks.com/health-illness/wellness/physical-fitness/weight-loss/hcg-diet.htm

If you dont feel like reading the full article: you get these shots (daily injections for 26-40 days costing on average $10/each), eat 500 calories of high protein, low carb & low fat foods and the HCG helps lower hunger pangs by releasing body fat. Most newer versions of the diet recomend additional appetite suppresants to help with hunger pangs. Side effects have been reported: increased risk of blood clots, headaches, restlessness and depression. Along with pregnancy symptoms like swelling, breast tenderness and water retention. HCG can also cause a potentially life-threatening condition called ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.

And if those side effects aren't enough to scare you off: peer reviewed studies comparing its effects to a placebo showed at the least no difference with HCG and at worst one study showed major hunger pains on both treatment types. Also HCG proponents themselves say that the program is designed to help break bad eating behaviors which means you can't go back to "normal" eating afterwards or you'll gain it all back!

Moral of the story: at the very least this is going to cost you an arm and a leg, you're probably going to feel starved throughout the process, and at the worst you could develop severe and potentially life threatening side effects. You would get the same results, without the potentially dangerous effects, by just limiting your diet to 500 calories a day. I do NOT recomend this!! Anneke your profile says you're a single mom working 3 jobs who plans to go back to school, do you have $400+ to spend on a diet that could make you sick? I know I don't.

I've gone my round with diet pills (even found a few that worked GREAT... while I was taking them. On one I lost about 30 lbs with no hunger whatsoever. I also gained about 40 lbs within 6 months of quiting the pills) Truly the ONLY way to safely, and healthily lose weight is to reduce your calories and exercise. If you want something to jump start your weight loss I'd recomend South Beach. I tried it and had tremendous success, the first few weeks I dropped a ton of weight and because you slowly add back normal foods it helps to teach you portion control & proper nutrition. combining that with exercise to build and strengthen muscles (the more muscle you have the more calories you'll burn even when you're sitting on the couch!)

Good luck!
  • starbuckslvr
    starbuckslvr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Most of the people who comment on this diet are not familiar with the details. It is a safe diet - my doctor recommended it to me. She said it has helped many of her patients over the last year with great success in weight loss and weight maintenance. It is not a magic bullet and it requires a lot of discipline, however the results are great and it truly helped me make better choices in food.

The hcg releases the stored fat in your body, generally from the most problematic areas. You are NOT living off of 500 calories, you're body is breaking down the stored fat for fuel AND you eat 500 calories of very lean meat, veggies, fruit, and a few carbs. It's restrictive in the caloric intake so your body will break down the stored fat. Does it work? YES!!! Is it easy, not always, but not any worse than any other restricted diet I've tried. The awesome part is that I get immediate results which is extremely encouraging.

I lost about 18 lbs in 28 days. At the end of June I weighed 205 lbs. I started P90X on 7/6/09 and followed it strictly for the first 6 weeks, then continued working out about 4 days a week until the end of September. I really struggled with maintaining such a rigorous work out routine. When I started hcg diet on Oct 19th, 2009 I weighed 190 lbs. After completing the first round (4 wks low cal diet, 3 wks maintenance) I took 6 weeks off before starting my next round on 1/2/10 and my weight remained within 2 lbs of my ending weight. I was mindful about what I ate but I still enjoyed the treats from the holidays.

The best advice I can give you is to do the research. Don't listen to people who don't know what they're talking about. There's plenty of research to support the results. I recommend Googling Dr. Simeons' book "Pounds & Inches". It's over 50 years old, but it has all the information, all the research, and it tells you what works and what doesn't. Then make an informed decision - that's what I did and it's worked for me.
  • lec823
    lec823 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I actually did research the HCG diet in May 2009 because my mother and stepfather were seriously considering it and I was very skeptical. I proved myself to be correct: I don't know if most people know what a meta-analysis is, but I read the summary of one, as well as other peer-reviewed academic research, all of which COMPLETELY denounced the efficacy of HCG and determined that placebo along with a 500-calorie/day diet was equally as effective. So, the meta-analysis thing: it is a review of ALL of the academic literature on a particular question. Remember the adage, "don't believe everything you hear?" Well, DON'T believe everything you READ, either!!!!

I concur with posters above: there is great weight-loss advice on this site that can point you in the right direction. AND, you've made it this far already, you are totally capable of losing the weight without a crackpot method like the HCG starvation diet! You have yourself and support from others on here. Best of luck to everyone!

ps, I would post what I read, but I don't want to get in copyright trouble and I had access through a database at my university.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    I call b.s. on this one, regardless of any doctor's recommendations. You are obviously going to lose weight if you eat 500 cals a day-- that alone will cause weight loss. Also, a majority of those that go on this diet have health probs such as Diabetes. Eating less than 500 cals a day is detrimental to those with this condition. Not to mention the fact that once you stop these ridiculously expensive injections and resume normal calorie intake, you will gain again. Waste of money.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the diet, but I DO know what HCG does to my body! Having been pregnant twice (and thus getting daily doses of it!), I have discovered I am basically allergic to it! I broke out in hives, full body, can't sleep they itch so much, benedryl doesn't even touch it, HIVES.:sad: HCG has a lot of naturally occuring side effects: water retention (which equals weight!), breast tenderness, and some people think it is what's responsible for morning sickness (not proven, so who knows on this one!). I personally wouldn't do it because of my allergy. I truly suggest that you research this THOROUGHLY before shelling out the $$$$ for it! Go to a University library, if you have one within striking distance, and use their databases. Talk to your doctor. Get a second opinion. Check medical journals. If it really is $10 per injection, every day for a month, that can get really expensive really fast, and my bet is that insurance won't cover it. If I were you, I'd research, research, talk with my doc, and research some more before I made a decision.

Good luck on whatever you decide!
  • jesipage
    Options
    i am on it..i love it...i have more energy and have lost 12 lbs in a week. Btw, it is not total starvation and the 500 calories also involve supplements. And it goes in phases, so as long as you are willing to follow the rules you will feel great too. NO DOUBT... It is strict, but it helps teaching a discipline and better eating habits. I am having so much fun creating meals with the limited ingredients. As a matter of fact i have to make myself eat and have rarely made it to 500 calories/ day because I am just not hungry. I love how i feel...cant wait to go to phase 3 ( no sugars or starches but eat more regular foods ). It is just creating new habits...it up to you maintain your success on this one.
    My only advice is go through your nutritionist for the HCG, there are soo many impostures out there.

Good Luck!
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried this diet?
    This injection diet has been around since I was in college, if not before, and I am 57. My lady boss used to give herself a daily injection before leaving the office (she got the product from a friendly doctor). Yes, she ate less while on the shots. Yes, she lost weight. Yes, she regained the weight due to not having learned new eating habits for long term maintenance. I thought at the time that it was a desperate attempt at a "fast fix" to her weight problem. Now, 35 years later, I feel the same about the product.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself what this diet does, in reality. So lets take a look. I'm more practical about this stuff than many, so I'll generalize this to fit almost any pill or diet.

What does a "diet" ( in these terms) mean? It means you are changing your eating patterns temporarily to get a desired result.

Lets examine why this isn't a good thing.

1. the body likes status quo. When you change something (bio-chemically) in the body, it changes it's response. so when you literally change the hormones your body is producing, you are changing everything about your body. If this change isn't permenant, then you WILL return to the former processes (and by that I mean weight).

2. How does one change their lifestyle? Not by taking a pill that's only temporary. You change the factors that made you that way. You change your lifestyle by permanently altering eating and exercise patterns.

3. How does one create good habits and eliminate bad habits? Not by taking a pill or a shot. Chemically changing how your body handles food temporarily does nothing to teach you how to eat right. And the goal here is permanent change, not temporary weight loss. Some (a VERY small percentage), can use a pill as a catalyst for change, but most will learn to rely on that pill or shot for the actual results, this is no good, it's the wrong way to think about being healthy.

4. I believe in the old adage, "Anything worth your time is worth the effort". If it took no or little effort to change, you won't appreciate the change and you won't change because of it.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself what this diet does, in reality. So lets take a look. I'm more practical about this stuff than many, so I'll generalize this to fit almost any pill or diet.

What does a "diet" ( in these terms) mean? It means you are changing your eating patterns temporarily to get a desired result.

1. the body likes status quo. When you change something (bio-chemically) in the body, it changes it's response. so when you literally change the hormones your body is producing, you are changing everything about your body. If this change isn't permenant, then you WILL return to the former processes (and by that I mean weight).

2. How does one change their lifestyle? Not by taking a pill that's only temporary. You change the factors that made you that way. You change your lifestyle by permanently altering eating and exercise patterns.

3. How does one create good habits and eliminate bad habits? Not by taking a pill or a shot. Chemically changing how your body handles food temporarily does nothing to teach you how to eat right. And the goal here is permanent change, not temporary weight loss. Some (a VERY small percentage), can use a pill as a catalyst for change, but most will learn to rely on that pill or shot for the actual results, this is no good, it's the wrong way to think about being healthy.

4. I believe in the old adage, "Anything worth your time is worth the effort". If it took no or little effort to change, you won't appreciate the change and you won't change because of it.

I absolutely couldn't agree more.
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Well said. My sister called me the other day asking if I'd heard of this "diet" because it's all the rage where she lives. Her first statement was "There is no way this can be healthy." I totally agree....quick fixes are just that...QUICK but not long term. I am sad to hear that several friends of mine are currently taking the injections. I wish they could see that this will not help them in the long term.
  • Angie789
    Angie789 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No offense to any previous poster, but to me, the true test of whether a diet works is NOT if you are losing weight while you are on the program. It is whether the weight remains off a year or more after the program ends. I used to get really excited when people talked about the great results they had with this diet, or that pill, but I have FINALLY gotten enough wisdom to realize that the quick results do not equal long term change.

And by the way... I did Google the HCG diet. All the sites that I found that promoted it were totally biased - no reference to any quality, peer-reviewed studies. I am a college professor, and if any of my students used those sites as sources in a paper, they'd get an F. I wish people would learn to be smarter consumers of the information on the Internet!!! 95% of what you read is biased junk.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am a college professor, and if any of my students used those sites as sources in a paper, they'd get an F. I wish people would learn to be smarter consumers of the information on the Internet!!! 95% of what you read is biased junk.

Are you ever so right!! Without some "evidence based" evaluation, it is a scam artists dreamworld on the internet. You know what, I even have a suspicion that a few of the MFP posters are paid to do promotion of certain products, or they sell the products themselves. So, I try to look at the history of a poster, and see how wide of a varity of topics they have posted to. If they have only posted a couple of times, and each time was promoting a certain diet or suppliment, well .... it makes me wonder about their reason for being here.

I once worked for a company that PAID AN EMPLOYEE to troll different message boards on the internet, and to post as if they were just another public person, but each post was biased and promoted a specific idea/product.

Let the reader beware. Good luck to all in separating the myths from the facts.:smile:
  • ccornelius
    Options
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I was VERY skeptical about hCG too until I started it on 02/09/10....I am now down 8 pounds and honestly I feel great. I am not hungry and I have a scale that shows body fat % on it and for every pound I lose, it is pure body fat!!! I know it is easy to say that people are naive for doing it but I am proof that it works!!!!!!!! You just have to retrain yourself on what to eat and stop eating JUNK!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I was VERY skeptical about hCG too until I started it on 02/09/10....I am now down 8 pounds and honestly I feel great. I am not hungry and I have a scale that shows body fat % on it and for every pound I lose, it is pure body fat!!! I know it is easy to say that people are naive for doing it but I am proof that it works!!!!!!!! You just have to retrain yourself on what to eat and stop eating JUNK!!!

This is the problem I have. ccornelius, nobody's saying it doesn't force you to lose weight.
    diets like this may help you to lose weight, but how does this help you change your lifestyle? whether you take these shots or not, you still need to learn how to eat healthy and exercise, and while you're taking these shots, you're body chemistry is altered, which essentially makes it impossible to figure out how to eat healthy for the rest of you life (unless you want to stay on the shots for ever). taking a pill, or a shot, or depriving yourself of a certain food group does nothing but change your body chemistry, they are all temporary fixes that do nothing to help you long term. Researchers around the word from dozens of credible research facilities and universities have all done studies on the long term results of restrictive diets (I.E. diets that temporarily alter your body chemistry in one way or another), the overwhelming results are that 95% of people who diet this way gain all the weight back within 2 years, and 60% of those people gain additional weight.